Traits of good drummers

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
1. Plays musically, not for themselves.

Keeps it simple and smooth, no complications.
Extraordinary determination, when is required.

Good listeners. Always

I'll add humble , since the good ones I've met were all humble. Of course I've never met Buddy.

I'm going to say that being a musician first and foremost, and not just a "drummer," is the common trait of all good drummers.

The drummer must have long hair.

Or used to have long hair.

That is all.

jk xD

-Jonathan

Good listeners. Always

I'll add humble , since the good ones I've met were all humble. Of course I've never met Buddy.

Aydee,

Wisely said, humble is a profound word and fact.

Cheers,

Humbled, skilled (they have to have chops ), devoted to what he's going to do with music and how he's going to change it (for the better hopefully), they must have an ear for music, and they must persevere though the good times and the bad because there are times in all our lives we've wanted to just give up playing. There's a light at the other side of the tunnel and the success that lies at the root of it will make you question why you ever thought of quitting.

Or your career might be bum and you'll live to be a 40 year old virgin.

... just kidding. :)

Well put. I want to add a few:

MUST be humbled - no large egos or egomaniacs. We've all met people with large, inflated egos.

MUST be able to play anything or learn fast or willing to learn and put forth the effort that is required.

MUST listen to other musicians and be respectful to the music and to other musicians.

A really good drummer encourages others and is willing to share their knowledge and broaden his or her views.

Ok, thanks...I'm off my soapbox now.

shows up on time in a good mood ready to make music. attitude is everything.

Agreed - 100% -

plus good drummers rarely drop their sticks, and when they do - they make it seem like they meant to do it.

Ok, I must be a good drummer cos I used to have long hair . . . when I had hair . . .
But then, I must be a lousy drummer cos I often drop a stick. But then, only the bass player notices - - -

Doesn't follow the norm of drumming. Finds what works for him/herself and goes with that. Also must have great hair

You all are stating that amazing hair must be one of the traits of a good drummer, well....

I have the BEST hair out of all of you (I've seen some of your hair.). All kidding aside, (although I do arguably actually have the best hair) hair is really nothing compared to musicianship.

I think what the drummer looks like has nothing to do with it, ie; hair etc. The most important thing is Feel. Great drummers always have Groove.eg Steve Gadd. If it doesn't feel good then you may as well be listening to a drum machine.

Back