Johnny from the block

Hi all, a while ago I bought a second hand Pearl free floater. I love the sound of it... But:

the previous owner damaged the finish in some way (he didn't explain) and therefor he wrapped it in silver sparkle. Because I thought he overdid the sparkles a bit, he was willing to re-wrap it for me if I bought it. Personnaly I love the natural look of a free floater, but he wasn't really in to getting the silver finish back off, so he re-wrapped it in a "brushed gold" finish, that should come near the orginal colour...

To be honest, i still find it a bit to shiny. So I would really like to know if there's a chance to ever it in original brass colour. So my question for you guys: is it possible to get 2 wraps off and still have a nice looking snare (accept for the scars the previous owner left it with off course)?

Thx beforehand,

nico

use a heat gun and take your time. unless it is dented or has deep scratches what can be really wrong? You can buff it out and have it clear powder coated or shot with baked enamel.

I would try it and see what is under there, absolute worst case scenario is you re-wrap it with a wrap you like
wink.gif

You are absolutely right. The problem is I haven't got a heat gun (but that's not really a dramatic problem - can always lend it or hire it) neither do I have any experience with either one of the techniques you mention.

And I'm guessing this should be kind of a budgetary problem to have it removed by a professional. For letting a drum wrapped already isn't for free, but then also letting the wrap removed first...

Anyway thanks a lot for the quick reply! I'm thinking about getting some advice from someone who ownes a heat gun, and maybe he can help me remove the wraps (yes there are two, because the silver sparkle is still underneath).

Or do you think I could manage the heat gun without damaging my snare?

You are absolutely right. The problem is I haven't got a heat gun (but that's not really a dramatic problem - can always lend it or hire it) neither do I have any experience with either one of the techniques you mention.

And I'm guessing this should be kind of a budgetary problem to have it removed by a professional. For letting a drum wrapped already isn't for free, but then also letting the wrap removed first...

Anyway thanks a lot for the quick reply! I'm thinking about getting some advice from someone who ownes a heat gun, and maybe he can help me remove the wraps (yes there are two, because the silver sparkle is still underneath).

Or do you think I could manage the heat gun without damaging my snare?

I would get someone to help you. One person to hold the snare and pull the wrap back, another to hold the heat gun. Those heat guns get EXTREMELY hot and you will burn yourself if you're careless. Devote your full attention to the heat gun.

Oh you will burn yourself,
wink.gif

It is hard on the finger tips, be careful, do not over heat, move the heat gun back and forth, don't let it stay in one spot.

Also it really depends on what glue he used but acetone my work also. You can try it at the seam.

Also it is a possibility that a good hair dryer on high may do it as well.

Jut be sure whatever you do, take your time.

Back