hitting your face

alex19

anybody ever done it while drumming. ive been in my groove that much ive clipped the back of my ear on the downstroke. poked myself in the eye too. wakes me up to be honest.

is this common, or just me?

I do it from time to time, but I tend to use the butt end of the stick and I'm a very hard hitter :p and I've hit myself in the forehead before and have had a red line imprinted there for a couple of days :p

LOL, you're not alone, it happened to me quite a few times too! In the eyes or in the forehead, It's awkward and kinda painful.. but.. there's nothing as annoying as hitting your fingers! Oh man, that REALLY hurts, and happened to me a few times too. :S

Well, gotta be careful, lol. Cheers :)

It's happened to before, too. If it becomes a problem you might consider a safety helmet! ;-)

Guilty as charged, sir.

Years ago, I remember asking a few drummers that I knew the same question. I was relieved to learn I wasn't the only muppet that had done this on the odd occasion. :)

I've hit my nose a few times. The worst part is that I have a 2g septum piercing so it kind of goes "PLING" in my head when I do it.

Was Raven before your time? Their crazy hooligan drummer used to wear a lot of sports gear, including some kind of cricket/rugby helmet or other.
Ha ha! There really is nothing new under the sun! Yeah, they must've slipped under the old radar. I was in grade school when they were out wearing their helmets. Too bad (I guess). Pretty funny to listen back on them, though, as with much of the metal of that era.

I stopped drinking while I played several years ago.
I stopped accidentally hitting myself shortly after that.

I've had it too, a stick ended up moving so high it hit me on the band holding the ear muffs to my head.

...hitting fingers is also bad.

...best thing to do to avoid this is watch the level that your stick rise to and RELAX, you're only playing drums.

it happens, a bloody nose, bloody fingers, a couple of goose eggs and ive lost count on the number of times ive sent my glasses flying! it happens...

I've got myself in the face a few times, what usually end up happening is I'll clip my glasses. Thankfully I haven't broken them now.

I remember my teacher telling me a funny story about when he hit himself right in the groin during a gig. He had to tell them to stall so he could regain his composure.

Last edited:
Actually, I don't recall doing this. Not in a big way, anyway. I've hit my right knee a fair few times, and both hands.

Can't recall hitting my head but I almost dislocated my left thumb when I smashed it with the right stick.

Yeah I've hit myself in the forehead once or twice, but more times I've hit myself in the fingers, and THAT hurts like hell.

Yeah I hit my fingers sometimes and it sucks, hitting your face doesnt hurt that bad its kinda funny

I have lots of energy when I play, and somewhat can be called a spaz.
I have broken my right thumb on my snare rim with my sticks, and have also broken a pair of headphones when hitting them with the stick. I have also smacked myself in the face several times. Thats when I realize I must take a break, and I relax for a bit.

Back