David Letterman Drum Solo Week II

Loved seeing Stewart play. I own all of his stuff, including the Orchestralli DVD/album, so it was cool seeing him solo to this material. He plays with such energy--such a joy!

Tony Royster Jr. should call Gavin for a drum solo lesson. Tony's was dull, dull--which is how I usually find his playing. Gavin's solo was fantastic, creative, and fun by comparsion. Tony's just your typical gifted chops player. Yawn. He kind of reminds me of Freddy Adu in the soccer world: a whole lot of talent and hype surrounded him, and he basically has gone nowhere major with it.

I can honestly say I completely disagree with these statements...but its your opinion so its all good with me.

SC is a great drummer but i was bored with his solo..I know i'm gonna catch flack but Gavin's & Tony's solo's were fun too hear & watch but SC solo kept me wanting more.

he should've composed a better solo..lol

Bonzolead

SC is a great drummer but i was bored with his solo..I know i'm gonna catch flack but Gavin's & Tony's solo's were fun too hear & watch but SC solo kept me wanting more.

he should've composed a better solo..lol

Bonzolead

No flack from me...I completely agree!

I don't think that playing a solo is a prerequisite to being considered a great or at least extremely good drummer.Stewart Copeland has a very distinct sytle , sound,and groove,which in a lot of ways is more difficult to achieve than just raw speed and chops.I liked his solo just fine.He just played Copeland.Great groove,tone for days,and hitting hard without choking his drums.The solo was just long enough to hold your interest,and make you realize just how distinct his playing really is.Nice job

Steve B

I have to say that I actually enjoyed SC's performance the best so far. The main reason for that being that he actually appeared to be enjoying himself and that to me makes any performance so much better. It's great to hear technically correct solos but I would much rather see someone who really appears to be loving what they are doing and having a blast at it. That's what came across to me with SC and it what I strive for with my drumming.

I have to say that I actually enjoyed SC's performance the best so far. The main reason for that being that he actually appeared to be enjoying himself and that to me makes any performance so much better. It's great to hear technically correct solos but I would much rather see someone who really appears to be loving what they are doing and having a blast at it. That's what came across to me with SC and it what I strive for with my drumming.
Good on you Mary, nicely put girl!

damn am I the only one that absolutely loved tony's playing ?? I always thought Tony had very musical AND well expressed solo....yeah hes chopalicious, but its still voiced well and its freaking impressive!!!

i honestly get kinda bored with solos where the majority of the time they loose groove and start just making sparatic noises...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did anyone notice that SC's break was exactly 32 bars? I think his 4-bar countoff at the end of the break wasn't really necessary to bring the band back, and was done only for dramatic effect.

They're all playing to a click, aren't they? That would make sense for TV time, and I'm sure I saw someone adjusting their in-ears in a 'where's the click?' sort of way.

who criticized DW as such?? I just read comments (and wrote one myself) about his drums
not sounding good. Didn't mention the brand, let alone make them responsible.

Just a general statement - I have seen in other places people making remarks on hi ssound is all....and it tends to be the Yammy guys.

Just a general statement - I have seen in other places people making remarks on hi ssound is all....and it tends to be the Yammy guys.

Not this Yammy guy. I actually liked Tony's drum sound. Especially that floor tom. I have a pretty good surround sound system, though. With a sub woofer you get the full spectrum of sound. I thought they sounded great.

damn am I the only one that absolutely loved tony's playing ?? I always thought Tony had very musical AND well expressed solo....yeah hes chopalicious, but its still voiced well and its freaking impressive!!!

i honestly get kinda bored with solos where the majority of the time they loose groove and start just making sparatic noises...
No. I said I liked him the best. :)

I thought Tony was great. He played a homage to the past while showing what keeps him employed today.

Gavin (obviously) has the best chops, but I sort of felt like he got lost in the middle, just blowing chops, given how musical his solo was the start and end.

Copeland was fun. Like Mary said, he seemed to be enjoying himself. We all know he's not a fan of solos, so just to see him take one was fun.

In Copeland's honor, I just bought the Orchestralli CD/DVD set today. I totally forgot how much I enjoyed that Copeland post-Police stuff. That just put a big smile on my face.

Just ask Sting how much he likes his infectious energy. :(
I don't think Sting's beef with SC had much to do with how SC played as much as it was about musical direction and personality conflicts. I know Sting does yoga and all that, but I still think SC could take him :D

I just checked out Copeland's solo. Very nice. For different reasons, I've enjoyed all 3 solos this week.

Back