Yea I see the snare "sticky" but lets talk intermediate

bog_72

Been looking to step up from my made in china PDP snare that came with the set.

So heres the details...looking for that rock/metal punch you in the ear attack,so leaning heavily toward metal based snares.

Not to limit my options,but looking at the 150 to 300 dollars new range.That aims me right at(and please tell me if im overlooking any) the Pearl sensitones...Ludwig Back Magics,and the Tama Metalworks lines.

You can run through just about every flavor of metal within there somewhere as well.

So lets say you cant find a used black beauty or supraphonic on ebay for under 400 bucks,or 300 for this instance,and had to choose one of these...which would be the best choice?

Or to borrow a line from Dale in the flick Stepbrothers,while he was being interviewed,and instead interviewed the interviewer....you have to kill one,marry one..and F*#K one...Go!!

Been looking to step up from my made in china PDP snare that came with the set.

So heres the details...looking for that rock/metal punch you in the ear attack,so leaning heavily toward metal based snares.

Not to limit my options,but looking at the 150 to 300 dollars new range.That aims me right at(and please tell me if im overlooking any) the Pearl sensitones...Ludwig Back Magics,and the Tama Metalworks lines.

You can run through just about every flavor of metal within there somewhere as well.

So lets say you cant find a used black beauty or supraphonic on ebay for under 400 bucks,or 300 for this instance,and had to choose one of these...which would be the best choice?

Or to borrow a line from Dale in the flick Stepbrothers,while he was being interviewed,and instead interviewed the interviewer....you have to kill one,marry one..and F*#K one...Go!!

Try out Pork Pie Little Squealers. cost in between 150$- 300$. All of their snares sound good! Try the Pork Pie Brass Patina! Awesome company!

The Pearl Sensitones are all well made and solid choices. They're really underpriced for the quality.

The Ludwig Black Magic snares are also nice if you're looking for brass and die cast hoops.

Pork Pie 14x6.5 Brass (I put die cast hoops on mine and love it)..

.. so the Ludwig Black Magic is a great choice and don't even mess around with the 5 inch, get the 6.5 inch. You will love the versatility of this kind of drum.

Ringy if you want. Fat at a medium tuning. Honky at high tunings and everything in between.

The WorldMax, Ahead, PDP and any used original B/B will be great.

I haven't come across an old BB in good enough condition to warrant $350, but they are tempting.

I have bought and sold lots of these mid-priced snares and most are good even the joey jordinson sig. is descent for hard rock. love the sensitones.. bronze one is awesome.. if your after volume you can usually get a used tama lars snare though most people dont like them its a great hard rock drum...the thing weighs about 30 lbs its 3mm of steel and the one I had recorded really well..I would kill the PDP rat rod...F the pork pie BOB ...and marry the Sonor Phil Rudd sig. snare
Like I said I've been thru lots of these mid price drums and may be partial due to playing sonor 3007's but the Phil snare has the tune safe lugs so it stays in tune longer then any of the others and out of all the sigs. out there this one was actually used by Phil during the Black Ice tour ..so if its good enough for packed stadiums around the world I figure its good enough for my bar gigs...It just has a great brass sound with a low end punch thats unreal for a 5" snare even tuned up tight...the batter head once changed to a reverse dot sounds 1" thick..it is my main snare (at least for this month)

GO!! One of the best lines in that movie.

Black Magic is a solid sounding drum. 5" if you want more crack, 6.5" if you want some body, and just tension it up for a lot more crack.

The Ahead with the S-hoops is great--nothing but good reviews. Versatile size too.

Tama Warlord metal snares, with the turned over flange is a solid bet. The extra bend really makes those two snares shine IMO. The hardware isn't my hing, but the shell is really nice.

OR, make your own with a World Max shell, and the hardware and throw of your choice. That would be under 300.

Back