Mapex Mydentity

Hi. Info on the mapex mydentity line is kind of scarce and not too many reviews are out there. Are there any owners of these? If so what to you think of the mydentity line. Are they good drums or just a marketing squeme? All info including pics on these is welcome. Thanks

They are deinitely a marketing scheme. I'm sure there are a few sets out there. Very few

Are they good drums or just a marketing squeme?
I vote squeme. Because of the " they're kust'm, gotta charge you more" angle.​
Outside of the "pick your own color" on shells and hardware, they're basically a Meridian kit. And on that level, I think most people are gonna just buy Meridian.​

I guess no one ha sbought these, Matt Halpern and Glen Sobel are doing a whole tour with these, but they sound pretty much like meridians, One thing I love about this line is the fact that I could order a 15'' floor tom, which seems to be the perfect answer to the 16'' to thundery sound, and the 14's not so deep sound.

Reactions: Jml
My "local" Mapex dealer told me they are selling well. I also believe that they are basically Meridians, which are good drums. I have not heard any. Peace and goodwill.

MyDentity's are definitley a hybrid Horizon/Meridian line. The whole custom drums for a economical price will always dictate a lower end shell.

From the two people I know that own them, they were very happy with the purchase. They threw some nice heads on them and use them as a practice kit or local gigging kit. Either way ... not a bad value.

Mapex uses a single point lug system for all lines except Saturn and Black Panther. This way they are able to create cheaper price points with better quality wood.

I didn't like any of the finishes, except the gray one Matt had. The prices seem to be competitive. The funny thing is Mapex didn't even buy mydentity.com Anyone can grab it from godaddy.

The Mapex people had a pro drummer playing a Mydentity set of drums about three weeks ago at one of the Five Star shops I frequent. I talked a bit to the Mapex rep, but didn't go into the playing area. They sounded like a decent set of loud drums, at least that's the way he was playing them, with a very flamboyant color scheme. They must have had their demonstration targeted to a much younger demographic than what I represent.

BTW, I was traveling though PA last week and stopped at a drum shop in Lancaster. They too carry the Mapex Mydentity drums. Here again and putting their sound totally aside for the moment, the color matches between the shells and the hoops almost made me loose my lunch, lol. These were all full kits and not just sample drums. In all fairness, you can order just about any color combination you want, although I have no idea how well the paint on the hoops is going to hold up to an aggressive drummer. I guess this is just Mapex's first steps into the "art" of custom paint jobs.

I wounder how a set of hot pink hoops would look on one of their Blaster kits?

Dennis

Reactions: Jml
I guess I'm the only person here with actual Mydentity experience. Attached is a photo of my 13/15/18/26 set in blue ripple pearl, with chrome hardware. Just got them a couple weeks ago. Overall, I'd say they're great drums. They sound great, even with the stock heads. They tuned up easily as well. The shells are nice. Great edges, nice smooth seam on the inner ply, look very well made. The hardware is nice as well, seems durable enough, tom brackets are solid and grippy. I like the rack tom mounts, as they're nice and compact, not nearly as cumbersome as RIMS-type mounts. The finish on the lugs isn't great; they look like they weren't polished very well after being cast, before being plated. But that's not terribly noticable except when holding a drum in hand. The powdercoated hardware I saw at a dealer looked great, though I'll agree that the colors of the hardware don't necessarily look good on a lot of the wraps.

Overall, I'm quite happy. I got the drums I wanted in the sizes I wanted. Meridians weren't even on my radar... component drums are expensive, and not nearly as many options.

The Mydentity shells are great, the drums sound great, I don't really feel like I'd be happier with any other drums.

Attachments

• IMG_0891.JPG
    IMG_0891.JPG
    177.6 KB · Views: 8,503
Love the color on your drums Soupy. Nice. I'm sure these are excellent drums. Perhaps a tad on the pricer side but to each his or her own.

I guess I'm the only person here with actual Mydentity experience. Attached is a photo of my 13/15/18/26 set in blue ripple pearl, with chrome hardware. Just got them a couple weeks ago. Overall, I'd say they're great drums. They sound great, even with the stock heads. They tuned up easily as well. The shells are nice. Great edges, nice smooth seam on the inner ply, look very well made. The hardware is nice as well, seems durable enough, tom brackets are solid and grippy. I like the rack tom mounts, as they're nice and compact, not nearly as cumbersome as RIMS-type mounts. The finish on the lugs isn't great; they look like they weren't polished very well after being cast, before being plated. But that's not terribly noticable except when holding a drum in hand. The powdercoated hardware I saw at a dealer looked great, though I'll agree that the colors of the hardware don't necessarily look good on a lot of the wraps.

Overall, I'm quite happy. I got the drums I wanted in the sizes I wanted. Meridians weren't even on my radar... component drums are expensive, and not nearly as many options.

The Mydentity shells are great, the drums sound great, I don't really feel like I'd be happier with any other drums.

Thank you very much, this was the type of answer I was looking for, I have messed alout around with the builder, they seem like well built drums, but unfortunently, many people were saying they are more Horizony than Meridan, or stuff like that, Btw what wood did you order them? Also, how's the 15" floor tom sound? ;)

The Mapex people had a pro drummer playing a Mydentity set of drums about three weeks ago at one of the Five Star shops I frequent. I talked a bit to the Mapex rep, but didn't go into the playing area. They sounded like a decent set of loud drums, at least that's the way he was playing them, with a very flamboyant color scheme. They must have had their demonstration targeted to a much younger demographic than what I represent.

BTW, I was traveling though PA last week and stopped at a drum shop in Lancaster. They too carry the Mapex Mydentity drums. Here again and putting their sound totally aside for the moment, the color matches between the shells and the hoops almost made me loose my lunch, lol. These were all full kits and not just sample drums. In all fairness, you can order just about any color combination you want, although I have no idea how well the paint on the hoops is going to hold up to an aggressive drummer. I guess this is just Mapex's first steps into the "art" of custom paint jobs.

I wounder how a set of hot pink hoops would look on one of their Blaster kits?

Dennis

Where you at Drums Etc in Lancaster? They have a double bass pink sparkle kit there that they actually expect to sell. It's been sitting there since MyDentity started. What kind of drum shop makes and orders a MyDentity kit to sell? If you're going to buy one I certainly wouldn't get a one that's already in a store. I'd make it myself, kind of the point..

Where you at Drums Etc in Lancaster? They have a double bass pink sparkle kit there that they actually expect to sell. It's been sitting there since MyDentity started. What kind of drum shop makes and orders a MyDentity kit to sell? If you're going to buy one I certainly wouldn't get a one that's already in a store. I'd make it myself, kind of the point..

Dale's in Harrisburg has several on the floor and ready to sell, but I agree...I'd make one myself if I were going to buy one.

Love the color on your drums Soupy. Nice. I'm sure these are excellent drums. Perhaps a tad on the pricer side but to each his or her own.
Thanks! From my point of view, they're cheap compared to Ludwig Classic Maples... and I make that comparison only because the CMs are the other best deal out there if you want to piece together a shell pack yourself, rather than go with the standard shell packs most dealers provide. Lots of component drums are crazy overpriced compared to standard shell pack prices.

Thank you very much, this was the type of answer I was looking for, I have messed alout around with the builder, they seem like well built drums, but unfortunently, many people were saying they are more Horizony than Meridan, or stuff like that, Btw what wood did you order them? Also, how's the 15" floor tom sound? ;)
No idea who would say "Horizony than Meridian", except for people who haven't actually seen them. Though I will say that some of the color combinations and marketing is a bit garish.

The 15" floor is awesome. The 13" and 15" together sound great as well. They're a great combination.

Here's the 13" in a better light. The colors are gorgeous.

Attachments

• Drum.jpg
    Drum.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 8,476
Thanks! From my point of view, they're cheap compared to Ludwig Classic Maples... and I make that comparison only because the CMs are the other best deal out there if you want to piece together a shell pack yourself, rather than go with the standard shell packs most dealers provide. Lots of component drums are crazy overpriced compared to standard shell pack prices.

No idea who would say "Horizony than Meridian", except for people who haven't actually seen them. Though I will say that some of the color combinations and marketing is a bit garish.

The 15" floor is awesome. The 13" and 15" together sound great as well. They're a great combination.

Here's the 13" in a better light. The colors are gorgeous.
oh sorry for not clarifying myself. By horizony I meant in terms of sound quality not color. Sorry if it seemed confusing. The color looks awesome. And by seeing the pictures. They look very semi-pro intermediate. Kind of classy if you ask me.

Yeah, I think I knew what you meant. They sound great, the edges are nice, and the shells are supposedly exactly the same as the Meridians. No idea why anyone would say they sound "horizony".

Back