Is it late for me? (Drum starter)

Not at all, although you might have small regrets not starting earlier (I do, and I started at 15).
Learn to be creative on a small kit before expanding your kit into half the house; at your age I imagine you might have to move it around a lot so it would be more convenient, and it will help when you do get a bigger kit.

18??????????????????????

I started at 43....lol. Talk to me in 25 years (I still plan to be playing then as well) :)

Believe me, you don't need to play at a high level to be in a band.

Truth!

Getting competent enough to play in a band should be a short-term goal, not the finish line. More important than your starting age is your determination to continually work on improving your skills.

Man-o-man I wish could ask that question. How about stating at 60!! Wish I had done this when I wanted to but did all the other stuff listed by aydee.

do it now!!!

well, i started when I was 14, so I only got 4 years on 18. lol dude, 18 is young still. Practice alot and you'll be great by the time your 22. :)

> The great bucket list!

+ 101. Make love to a woman (a first roll on hay)

Life starts at 18, my friend! Not only can you start playing drums, you can also........

18? Too late? Of course not! I started at 15 and I'm 18 as well. You'd be surprised at the progress you can make in 3 years. Psychologically speaking, when you hit your twenties, you might be past your prime in terms of learning and absorbing information, but that's no reason to not try to learn drums. Besides, if you're like me and you're getting ready to take the first steps into college and the lifestyle it has to offer, knowing / wanting to learn how to play drums is something you can bring to the table!

Whoever heard of not bothering to try something just because you're at a disadvantage when it comes to learning it?

Psychologically speaking, when you hit your twenties, you might be past your prime in terms of learning and absorbing information
I reckon that's nonsense. I'm 48 and I've never been better at learning. Learning to learn is a skill in itself that you pickup over the years. There are potentially too many distractions for a young man wanting to learn drums, though there's also the chance that there are long days when loads of practice is possible that might not be there in later life

It's too late for you to be Buddy Rich, but I could say that to anyone.

18? pah! My mum started piano at 87 - 4 years later and she's now at grade 4 - it's never too late.

Never to late. There was an interesting story on a recent episode of PBS's NOVA called Musical Minds. Below is a part of the trancsript available on their website. After getting hit by lightning, this one guy just becomes obsessed and plunges himself wholeheartedly into learning piano at 42, devoting every chance he gets to practicing (to the detriment of his marriage) and quickly becomes a decent player, gives concerts and now has a following. I'm in my 40's, picking up the drums. The story is kinda endearing to me.
-IMT

>>>
I have never met another person with a story like Tony Cicoria's. Tony was 42, a former college football player who had become a well-regarded orthopedic surgeon.

OLIVER SACKS: Tony is a surgeon, in New York State, who had very little musical background, or interest, or taste or talent, until, through a freak accident of being on the phone in a storm, he was hit in the face by a bolt of lightening, flung back and killed, in a sense. He probably had a cardiac arrest.

He had one of these strange out-of-body experiences, which one can have in these circumstances, then he was resuscitated. He seemed to be pretty much himself.

But then, three or four weeks after this, a strange transformation happened, where he developed a sudden "insatiable passion," as he put it, for hearing piano music, and then for playing piano music, and then for composing piano music. This took hold of him and wouldn't let him go...

No way is 18 too late - go for it. I just started Violin and Piano at 33. Probably a slightly mad thing to do while trying to run a business, relearn some of my fundamental drum technique, prepare for my next dance exam, and play in a fairly busy band, etc. but you only live once. Much better than wasting hours a day in front of the tv, IMO!

Yes, it's way too late. I mean, you're practically dead already. You expect to be able to pick up the drums at the ripe age of 18? Fat chance!

I started at 39.

I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Age doesn't mean a thing, it is all about talent. Because if you don't have the talent to drum you will never learn to play a solid groove even if you live to see a 120 years!

Psychologically speaking, when you hit your twenties, you might be past your prime in terms of learning and absorbing information,

I know I've always been thankful of the profound knowledge posessed by teenagers. This post is living proof.

If only I could know as much now as I did back then. :)

It's not to late, if your going to be serious about it learn some basics on music even if you don't use it later on. It's good to know how and why somethings should be played...basically know if your fill is musically correct so it fits within the measure. I can't read music all that well myself but I understand quarter notes, eight notes, 16th notes, triplets and 32nd notes. When I play I can tell if something works by understanding the concept of the notes.

And if anything some drummers are really good and some aren't but it's about enjoying and having fun doing it.

Back