My cat has been 'marking my drum set....

MrPockets

Gold Member
So, one day I sat down to play my drum set that does not have a resonant head on the bass drum. Turns out my cat was in the bass drum shell and jumped out when I started my double bass drum licks.

After that my cat has been peeing on the shells and going #2 inside the shell.

Anyone one else have experience with this?

(removing the cat isn't an option, don't ask why)

No experience with this but can offer 2 obvious immediate solutions to try:

1. get a resonant head (unported, lol)
2. get a litter box

Do you have more than one cat, and is it generally a stress-head? One of mine (arguably the most neurotic) marked my ported bass drum. I don't know why, but it might have been because one of the other cats, the one she dislikes even more than the rest, had been sleeping in there. It might be possible that your cat has decided s/he likes your drum and is claiming it as territory.

My only solution is to keep the cats out of the room.

Cats don't like aluminum foil. You could lay a piece on the inside bottom of the drum.

Also, if you have a scrap of plastic carpet runner that has those points that hold it in place, you could lay some of that in the drum points up.

There are also some sort of repellant sprays you could buy.

The cat is either mad at your drums or trying to claim them as it's own. I'm guessing mad because of the poop, as cats are typically very clean animals. If you can't prevent the cat from accessing the room with the drums, you either have to somehow protect your drums (reso head, cover them with a tarp or something) or make it so the cat changes its behavior regarding the room. Put a cat bed in there and some cat toys (to distract and draw attention away from the drums), or make the room one that the cat doesn't want to go in (everytime you catch the cat in the room, spray it with water, if it is smart it will learn).

What make of drums do you have? What make of cat?

Seriously, your story is really funny.

"4 out of 5 cats prefer Mapex Saturn bass drums for all their needs..."

You may be able to get an audition with Josie......

Is there a Chinese restaurant near you? If so take the cat for a wok.
Why not just put a front head on the drum?

What make of drums do you have? What make of cat?

Seriously, your story is really funny.

"4 out of 5 cats prefer Mapex Saturn bass drums for all their needs..."

DW Classics....

j/k CB 700s

It's a Tabby cat I found at a farm.

He's just found a nice place to sleep and after a nasty experience feels the need to 'mark' his territory.

What to do? Search me!!

TJ

Cat 1 (or should I say #2) - Drum kit 0

I had a cat that did that to my trap case, pissed in it. I didn't notice the smell (we had three cats at the time) until after I'd set up at a gig and had put all my cases back stage. The bass player put his cases next to mine and said, "What's that rank urine smell?" He started telling the rest of the players "Put your cases in the cat-piss-smelling room."

I tried putting the case in the washer, but it didn't work. I had to throw it away. I'm not suggesting you throw your bass drum away. I'd take it to be refinished, stripped down and re-done inside and out.

I have a solution. Assign the cat a new place to crap in.

Attachments

• LVmIO.jpg
    LVmIO.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 906
Last edited:
What you do, is you go out and get a resonant head. Then you trap the cat inside and play some double bass for about 20 minutes. Then you take off the resonant head. You can expect the cat to go nowhere near that kick drum for the rest of its existence.

Back