Snare Choice for Punk Gig

RobertM

Platinum Member
I have a gig coming up for old school punk (X-ray Specs, The Bags, etc.) and British glam rock (Bowie's Ziggy stuff). Any objects to using a Pearl Omar Hakim 5x13 mahogany snare? I've been using this snare just out of convenience during practice, and it sound nice and tight and focused (I have it tuned medium-high to high with Aquarian Focus-X coated head).

I'm concerned it may be a tad too poppy, though. Of course, I could tune it differently, or should I just use an old reliable 6.5x14 brass or aluminum snare instead?

I have a gig coming up for old school punk (X-ray Specs, The Bags, etc.) and British glam rock (Bowie's Ziggy stuff). Any objects to using a Pearl Omar Hakim 5x13 mahogany snare? I've been using this snare just out of convenience during practice, and it sound nice and tight and focused (I have it tuned medium-high to high with Aquarian Focus-X coated head).

I'm concerned it may be a tad too poppy, though. Of course, I could tune it differently, or should I just use an old reliable 6.5x14 brass or aluminum snare instead?

IFF you're the obsessive type: Listen to the old albums, and grok which equipment was used and why. Figure out why those sounds worked in the first place. Armed with that knowledge, you'll be able to answer your own question.

If you would rather avoid that journey, keep one wood and one metal snare. Use whichever is better for the task based on intuition.

It's all in the tuning of the snare and how you play it.
I would use a 14 x 5 metal snare tuned up tight.
But the guy in this punk video: http://youtu.be/5ia0GsI3Rnc

Used this Pearl 13 x 3 piccolo snare. I would have never thought it would work.

maxresdefault.jpg

Does the Hakim have the 2.3mm triple flange hoops on it? I'd wager you can absolutely use it, it'll sound like a snare anyways ;) but it may lack a little cut if it has 'standard' hoops. You may want more brash cut from rimshots, in which case a die-cast (or an s-hoop or something heavier) may give you the edge you need.

The fact that you are worried about what specific gear to play for a punk show hurts my soul a little bit. I grew up in hardcore/punk bands and the ethos was always "play whatever you want, its punk". We always played whatever cheap shit we could get ahold of because none of us ever had any money.

My advice. Go buy a the cheapest steel snare you can find on Craigslist and drag it home behind your car. Then get the oldest head you can and put it on. Make sure the coating is worn off and its surface looks like a golf ball. Now tighten the head as much as you can and take it to the show. THAT is punk rock!

My advice. Go buy a the cheapest steel snare you can find on Craigslist and drag it home behind your car. Then get the oldest head you can and put it on. Make sure the coating is worn off and its surface looks like a golf ball. Now tighten the head as much as you can and take it to the show. THAT is punk rock!

I was gonna say.... make sure it has 2 heads and some snare wire on it. Sticks are a whole different subject.

The fact that you are worried about what specific gear to play for a punk show hurts my soul a little bit. I grew up in hardcore/punk bands and the ethos was always "play whatever you want, its punk". We always played whatever cheap shit we could get ahold of because none of us ever had any money.

PERFECT !

I love this post.
Actually, it also applies to late 1950's rock and roll.

I use one of those little Hakim snares and they are fantastic drums, definetly much better than many high priced wood drums. The combination of small size mahogony shell. But.... For the music you listed I would go for more bottom end rather than pure cut. Having said that In a live setting I doubt anyone but you will notice.

FWIW, when I think of punk, I think of cheap steel snares. Not meant negative at all.

I played a gig with Alice Bag (from the original Bags punk band of the late 1970s in LA). I used the Hakim snare and it was great: tight and snappy and mixed well with the guitar and bass.

Cheers.

.... or should I just use an old reliable 6.5x14 brass or aluminum snare instead?
If you have one, I'd go with that. I love my Omar Hakim, but for a punk gig (or any loud gig) .... I'd be taking my 14x6 COB.​

Are you talking about trying to make your drums sound like some recordings? Just use the best sounding gear you have, and then play punk on it. If you really want to sound like some old punk recording, just buy the cheapest piece of s#%t you can find and then take all the resos off. No seriously though, that snare is great, just use it.

Back