DOUBLE BASS TECHNIQUE

Re: THE DOUBLE BASS TECHNIQUE THREAD

Ok, i found an interesting sheet of tabs containing double bass drumming. I've studied those exercises for 1 or 2 weeks now and all i can say is that they really open up your creativity in double bass drumming.
Much triplets are involved to give nice effects to grooves.
However these exercises do'nt help your speed they are ver good to practice. (you might wanna use a headphone with metronome because some are tricky to get.)

They are written by Bobby Rondinelli.

So here you go: http://www.drums-co.be/pdf/Bobby.Rondinelli.pdf

Re: double bass problems

hey

i dont know if this will help you but it helped me im not into nu-metal but if you use the use both hands on hihat like going 1+2+3+4+ and then do the double bass under neth it.

if u know wat i mean. for this when you are doing the stick thing on the hi hat keep the double bass going.

hh: L-R-L-R-L-R
bd: L-R-L-R-L-R

DOUBLE STROKE ROLL (bassdrum)+ OSTINATO VID

• My explanation on the Bass drum double stroke roll.
  • And an Ostinato exercise , for advanced independence controll.(6 groupings)

http://www.edrums.gr/video2.html
Hope the videos help you on the areas above.
Drummerworld... a great place for sharing information on our favorite subject....

Educational DVD is on the making .... will keep you posted...

Panos

Last edited:
Re: Double stroke roll (bass drum) + Ostinato vid.

OK, I've watched the WMP files, and what you do there is a bit... well - sick!
The ostinato part is quite unbelievable! It's beautifull and seems undoable!
I'll be happy to look at that upcoming dvd.

well done!

I haven´t seen anybody else except marco minnemann with such a crazy foot ostinato playing going on, really great man. But I think what you are doing with your hands destoys it a bit and makes it sound somehow unclean to me. If you slowed it down a bit played less with your hands it would be great for me.
But that is just my impression

NUTHA JASON said:
this pedal work raises things to new heights. it insane.

WIN PLAYER High Res 15.6MB

WIN PLAYER High Res 5,4 MB

j

Dear Jason , thank you for your comments , the dvd which I am self producing will show all the possibilities for using the Duallist , and I hope to have it ready for sale by September. It will be endorsed by the Duallist company and we will advertise it on all the major Percussion publications.

Last edited:

Soffer said:
OK, I've watched the WMP files, and what you do there is a bit... well - sick!
The ostinato part is quite unbelievable! It's beautifull and seems undoable!
I'll be happy to look at that upcoming dvd.

well done!

Thank you for your comments ... I dont own a Mac , and the quicktime format is a bit tricky for me... Keep up the drumming ..
Best Regards

Panos

Your multiple pedal work and footwork in general take a backseat to no one my friend. I'm just now getting into this area and I can only imagine the amount of effort and dedication you put into developing that level of facility.

Or I could just say: WOW!!!

Knevildrummer said:
Your multiple pedal work and footwork in general take a backseat to no one my friend. I'm just now getting into this area and I can only imagine the amount of effort and dedication you put into developing that level of facility.

Or I could just say: WOW!!!

Thank you for your comments , does your friend have any media I could take a look at? Keep up the drumming!

Re: double bass problems

how fast can u go when u go with your fast burst

that could help or just keep the hh going with one hand and paly 8th notes with that while 16 notes with bass drum, and try lots of diffrent speeds so u can get them into shape

I know it's been posted before but I need SERIOUS help with bass drum technique...

Ok..I'm not gonna dilly-dally around the situation. Here's a rough sketch:

_x x x x | x x x x
_.....o...........o
_
_
_o......o......oo
..................V

See the two eight note kicks (the two with the "V" under them)? I can't play those above 110 bps! I have absolutly NO speed in my feet whatsoever. My friend who has only been playing for two months can do that no problem. I've tried working on my techique, but I just can't seem to get it clean. I have to strain to get it out. I need help

PS: I hope the sketch comes up alright and that you can understand it.

He was calling you "friend" and implying that your footwork was second to none.

Very embarassing !!!! - No one is perfect ..... Thanks for the clarification, I read the posting too fast ...Sorry guys..

Marlos is the real deal when it comes to insane foot ostinatio work...I've never sceen anything quite like it...For all those who consider using the dualist pedal "cheating", I think Marlos would like to have a discussion with you...

Excellent work as always Marlos...

How did you get to the level you're at in independence? Any specific studies, or mentors?

toteman2 said:
Marlos is the real deal when it comes to insane foot ostinatio work...I've never sceen anything quite like it...For all those who consider using the dualist pedal "cheating", I think Marlos would like to have a discussion with you...

Excellent work as always Marlos...

How did you get to the level you're at in independence? Any specific studies, or mentors?

Thank you for your kind words ... I think the best ostinato player out there is Grant Collins check out www.grantcollins.com the man is incredible , of course Thomas lang and Marco minemann plus the "monster" Dennis Chambers.. I will try to incorporate all the styles above to my DVD so anyone can see the development of the ostinato starting from Max roach --the drum also walzes- and Joe Morello playing an incredible solo with a 5/4 ostinato in 195something ... to todays applications with loops and polyostinatos .
Panos

marlos said:
Thank you for your kind words ... I think the best ostinato player out there is Grant Collins check out www.grantcollins.com the man is incredible , of course Thomas lang and Marco minemann plus the "monster" Dennis Chambers.. I will try to incorporate all the styles above to my DVD so anyone can see the development of the ostinato starting from Max roach --the drum also walzes- and Joe Morello playing an incredible solo with a 5/4 ostinato in 195something ... to todays applications with loops and polyostinatos .
Panos
... .. ..

Re: THE DOUBLE BASS TECHNIQUE THREAD

Try moving you foot in a swivel motion while playing those 2 fast bass notes if you only use 1 pedal. If you use 2 pedals, just work e bit on your foot independance, that will help out a lot. The post i made above yours is great to create some foot independance for double bass players.

Back