My Swingstar Kit

riddle

My Kit

This is my first kit, thought its not much the sounds are heaven. (esp my snare) XD

btw, just wondering, i've always read how you guys advise people to not spend their moeny on low end drums. i understand the cymbals, but whats the difference between mahogany wood with oak/maple/or birch besides sound? what makes this drum so low end?

Attachments

• DSC01747 r.JPG
    DSC01747 r.JPG
    217.3 KB · Views: 424
  • DSC01776 r.JPG
    DSC01776 r.JPG
    183.4 KB · Views: 426
  • DSC02162 r.JPG
    DSC02162 r.JPG
    180.4 KB · Views: 409
  • DSC02163 r.JPG
    DSC02163 r.JPG
    190.9 KB · Views: 442
  • DSC02170r.JPG
    DSC02170r.JPG
    202 KB · Views: 412
  • DSC02183r.JPG
    DSC02183r.JPG
    205.6 KB · Views: 419
  • DSC02188r.JPG
    DSC02188r.JPG
    232 KB · Views: 424
  • DSC02192r.JPG
    DSC02192r.JPG
    201 KB · Views: 411
  • DSC02193r.JPG
    DSC02193r.JPG
    228.9 KB · Views: 391
  • DSC02195r.JPG
    DSC02195r.JPG
    170.4 KB · Views: 398
if you take the stock heads off they will be even better.

Hardware for one will make one drum better than the other. For instance it appears as if your bass drum hoops are plastic and not wood. Plastic is cheaper to make than wood. Number of lugs, lug material, basswood and others are cheaper than maple. Lots of factors. But in the end if they sound good then they are good for you.

Same kit here except color and if you want my advice and would like to have a good sound from your drum, look at Aquarian Texture Coated, they are just enough muffled (coating) to let the drum sing without any bad overtones. Also get yourself the Aquarian Superkick 1 for the bass drum batter with any other muffling inside. You'll get the best out of this kit, please dont kill the tone with pinstripe...;-)

Hardware for one will make one drum better than the other. For instance it appears as if your bass drum hoops are plastic and not wood. Plastic is cheaper to make than wood. Number of lugs, lug material, basswood and others are cheaper than maple. Lots of factors. But in the end if they sound good then they are good for you.

TAMA accu-tune hoops aren't just made of plastic, it's a synthetic composite material that was first developed for Artstar but ended on SC perfomer then on Rockstar, Swingstar and stagestar.

thanks for the info gruntersdad

and the heads.. could you tell me the heads that are from remo but has the same charasteristics are the aquarians you mentioned? its hard to find aquarians here

Btw, about my snare, i want it to sound really fat and solid. I dont like the cha cha cha sounds or military like snare drums. Just FATT and deep a little like chad smiths, any idea how i should tune (how tight the btm head and batter head shuld be etc etc). my teacher says changing into remo ambassador would help but im not gona go to the stores soon so please help

My personal kit is a set of Yamaha Oak Customs which I love but the set I play every week at church is an 8 year old set of Tama Swingstars...they may be "low end" but they are great sounding and have been a solid, solid set. A better snare (perhaps) and some better cymbals and you are off and running!

P.S. all things in time! Enjoy this kit and then someday if you find yourself with a "higher end" kit you will enjoy that all the more.

Jack

Swingstar's hardware is the best among the kits at its price range. With the newer Tama's entry level, Imperialstar, you'll even get 250 micron heads, the only low end kit AFAIK that gives you thick heads. What makes it low end is mostly the shell material (phillippine mahogany for Swingstar) that's very cheap. But if you like the sound, that's all.

SOGdrummer is right, a better snare and better cymbals will make it even better. I play a Swingstar too every Sunday morning at church and this is the picture:
1_370740056l.jpg

Last edited:
Dude with toms that deep, that kit would sound beastly with pinstripes....but proly even better with G2 clears. :)

My first "new" kit was a Swingstar....

Rock on!!!

Back