Would You Match A Kit To Fit An Audition?

Cuban

Due to some extended tour work (non drumming) I have been away from the kit for about 2 1/2 years, but that is about to change.

I have a number of auditions coming up for some very different bands / artists.

Naturally it is all about my ability, connecting with the bands / artists and playing the parts as they want to hear them...

However, being in a very privileged position of having a number of very varied kits (vintage and modern), as I wonder how may here in a similar position attempted to match the kit / sound to the music for their auditions?

By this, I mean adding perhaps electronics and parts to play them, using a jungle kit vs a rock kit or jazz kit etc?

Naturally I am in effect there to 'sell myself' so, what are your thoughts?

I know its easy to talk extremes but I am sure you already konw, a Jazz kit for Jazz and a power kit for Rock. As for electronics? I dont know, even if they would be appropriate is it worth it for an audition. If the music could take it you could mention during the specific audition that you have, and are comfortable adding, pads or triggers to the kit.

TBH, if it was an audition for a rock band I wouldn't turn up with a cocktail kit in baby pink with yellow stars. Similarly if it was a jazz audition I wouldn't fetch a kit with 8 toms in a deep black with red flame finish.
That's pretty much the only things I'd consider. Unless they tell you what to fetch I'd take a nice 5 piece acoustic kit.
You're far more experienced in this type of thing than me & I'm probably over-simplifying it, so it may be advisable to do what you think is best!

My thoughts are...and this is totally colored by my own experiences which may be totally different than yours...but IME, the people auditioning you don't want you to be to into yourself and your gear. They want you to see them and what they are doing.

They just want a humble person who can lay it down and keep their mouth shut. So I'd just go in with a simple kit, the simpler the better, and groove their ass down to the floor, and don't speak unless spoken to. It's not about you, even though it's your audition. It's about them filling their open spot. Shift focus to them and say nothing about yourself unless asked.

This is just to get you in. Once you're in, it's different. But initially? Shut up and play and don't be all into yourself and your gear at all. Notice them and talk about them.

Don't let your complicated electronics kit work against you. Auditions should be kept dead simple gear-wise. You are far more important than your gear.

Yeah, what Larry said. Play for the song, not to impress them.

Might be a good idea to bring a bass drum, snare, hi hat, floor tom and one cymbal. And that's all. Then impress them with what you can do with very little equipment.

I dunno, I think a lot (most?) bands want to know what you can bring to the party. If that's your ability to be transparent, then that's what you do. If they want a contributing member, then show them what value you can add.

Of course, the fundamental job of holding down the fort is paramount across the board, but there's a whole wide world beyond that. Know what they're looking for before the audition, but at the same time, know what you're looking for and stay true to that.

If it's a jazz gig, bring a jazz kit. If it's rock, bring a rock kit. If prog, bring 'em all! Whatever it is, go for authenticity.

1) Bring the least amount of gear you can to play the material with. Anything that is an optional extra leave at home. Do not draw attention to equipment, no one else cares about your rare earth metal zirconium encrusted snare.

2) Be comfortable, for example I used a two snare one tom, one kick set-up for 10 years so this is what I brought to the auditions once my long running gig ended. Easy flow knew where everything was without thinking.

2) it's hard to make connections when you are just parachuted in, I prefer to listen up and really lock in with just two players. It's hard to prejudge which instruments this might be, as bands rarely function on a practical level how they sound from audience. For me it's generally keys and singer, the string ticklers will fall in line and mainly just want to hear where one is....

3) The best feedback I ever got from an audition wasn't really about drumming skill at all but......."It's like we've known you for years".

4) Play fewer notes than you think, do less fills than you think, but do, nail the essence of the songs rhythm. Be firm in this.

5) Do not experiment with hiding the accent on the one, no guitarist will hire you......

Obviously bring the right gear - # of pieces and the appropriate sizes - from a practicality standpoint. But it's also a signal to the band/artist that you known what you're doing. Don't oversell, or undersell, bring just what you need. They'll like you before you even start playing.

Bermuda

Yes. Always bring what would be the most appropriate for the band.

I agree with Larry, they want you to see them and what they are doing.

Bands have expectations based on what they're doing, and they want to see you fit in.

I recall the Dream Theater auditions that were posted. The band supplied a drum kit with a lot of options for everyone to use, but let everyone set it up how they wanted.

Most guys set it up the drum options based how they were used to setting up. Mangini set it up to be as close to Portnoy's kit as he could. And well, who got the gig?

In the same respect, if the band is playing straight ahead no-frills rock, leave the double pedal, the splashes, bells and whistles at home

"Naturally it is all about my ability, connecting with the bands / artists and playing the parts as they want to hear them." (Quote)

That would suggest a pro act and you will be a hired gun? If so you will be aware of the style and format of the music and they will have sent you recordings/charts to work to. Presuming all that, will the style of music not suggest the style of kit and the way you must play?

"Naturally it is all about my ability, connecting with the bands / artists and playing the parts as they want to hear them." (Quote)

That would suggest a pro act and you will be a hired gun? If so you will be aware of the style and format of the music and they will have sent you recordings/charts to work to. Presuming all that, will the style of music not suggest the style of kit and the way you must play?
Many thanks for all of the replies, very much appreciated.

Nail on the head, that was what I was asking. Should I spend time picking out the right kit / cymbals from the options I had?

That is what I spent yesterday doing and I feel the simple, functional yet one that best reflects my playing style and their music was worth the time spent trying the options out. Really happy with what I ended up with.

I have also decided to leave electronics out of it for now. They know I have some useful tools and experience in that area, but that would only come into play if I got the gig.

Now back to the learning the material, I'll let you know how I get on!
Thanks again. :)

Back