8Mile's Gretsch itch

8Mile

Platinum Member
Okay. The last thing I need to do is buy drums. I own a beautiful set and they sound great. I love them.

But the Gretsch itch is afflicting me. I made the mistake of opening up the Gretsch USA Custom order guide today. Oops.

I am thinking seriously about getting a new set.

I'm not ready to place an order yet. But I've taken a big step; I've allowed myself to think about actually buying them. Before, I would snuff such thoughts out before they became serious. But I started peering at the finishes and wondered what I'd want, what kind of hardware, hoops, etc.

I've been bitten by the Gretsch bug since I fell in love with the sound on all my favorite jazz records from the 50s and 60s. The truth is, the last few years, I avoided playing Gretsch kits because I was afraid I'd hear a sound I couldn't get from any other drum. And then I knew I'd be hooked.

So a few months ago, a Burnt Orange bop kit showed up at my local shop. It belongs to the owner, a friend of mine. Of course, he put it there because he was thinking about selling it and he knew I'd come in, get all excited and have to try a few taps on it. I couldn't resist. I just played a few notes on the 8x12 tom. Dammit. That sound.

Then Gvd has to come on here and post those 1966 beauties in Champagne Sparkle a while back. No surprise, of course; this man was put on earth to torment me with envy. I'm just surprised the mother****** didn't stumble across the Cadillac Green Birdland set in his attic, with Max still sitting behind it playing it. Just my luck.

Anyway, that put cracks in the veneer of my abstinence. I allowed myself to visit the website "just to see what's up." Then I opened the order guide. I think it's all over now.

There's no purpose to this thread, other than to have other drummers weigh in and either talk me in or out of buying a set of these drums. And help with finishes. Because, let's face it, nobody on this forum talks people OUT of buying drums.

There goes my Christmas budget. Sorry, family and friends.

"That sound"....when it happens, it's all over.

...Yep, you're screwed.

:)
Just go with it because you know there's no other way around it. It's the sound in your head, and in your heart.
You just don't have to do it right this minute, they'll still be there in a month or two.

You can always sell other stuff that won't measure up any more and recoup some dough too.

It's kinda like me and those Paiste cymbals I got (posted a pic in a thread). I always really knew there was nothing else that would make "THAT sound" for my crashable, washy ride with good sticks sound and a great bell.....
Oh, I TRIED. Several times, and came real close, but, I just had to face it and get the real deal. I just got rid of everything else I wasn't gonna miss so the OOP wasn't stupid. It was actually very minimal considering all I got. The selling is still on going, but at least I'm not in any debt :)

Good luck!!

Yes - go for it !

Burnt Orange = beauties!

I just got a swatch of it from the factory and had my local General Paint store mix me some stain. I'm doing some 40's Grestch shells in a Burnt Orange-like finish.........trying to get that all together. It won't be exactly like the 'real-deal" from the Gretsch factory but I don't care.....they're still 40's Gretsch shells and they will be good.

I have had the Gretsch bug since the early 60's. There are a lot of very nice drums out there but none that has grabbed my attention like Gretsch. I feel for you man haha.

Good luck with it...........

Man, I feel for you! I was lucky enough to be in the market at the time of the '57 discounts, so it was easy for me to scratch(though I won't say that their sound is nearly as good as the USA Customs). My itch isn't contained yet, and I'm nearly positive that when I finish school(assuming I make the big bucks) I'm going to treat myself to a nice set of USA Customs. As far as finishes, I like these:
1252012DSC_0091.JPG

and these:
13908d08.jpg

Your friends and family will understand. ;D

ETA: The top kit is for sale at Maxwell Drums and he's also advertising 10% off until 12/31. http://www.maxwelldrums.com/gretsch-blakey-tribute-18121455-drum-burgundy-spark-p-6658.html

Attachments

• IMG_4048.JPG
    IMG_4048.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 1,976
  • IMG_4047.JPG
    IMG_4047.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 1,888
So Lar are you set on USA customs? Not vintage round badges? You could go the restore route. What size kick do we want?
Gotta start with the kick size, so we know where to go from there.

I have not played any high end or vintage gretsch kits yet but they always sort of caught my ear. The thinner shelled vintage kit I heard sounded amazing and the brooklyn series I only heard in a video but I was relay drawn to it for some reason. I don't have the gretsch itch but defiantly nice kits.

Let me help to further push you towards your next purchase.​

That floor tom looks pretty low. You had to set it up upside-down. Also, do you still use the internal controls on your toms?

That floor tom looks pretty low. You had to set it up upside-down. Also, do you still use the internal controls on your toms?
Could get the floor that low right-side up, but flipped over lets me get the knurled ends into the mounts. And yes, I do use the controls, sometimes. Luddies, I tend to take them out. Notorious for rattling. The Gretsch, not so much. I did, however, take the Jimmy Pratt out of the kick. Don't really need it on the 20. On my 26x14, I have it intact.​

I realized after I submitted my post that it wouldn't make a difference in height whether the drum was mounted upside-down or rightside-up. I have a mid-60s Gretsch kit and something just looked a little different.

Straight from Maxwells and I shake my head in amazement every time I get done playing them.... Couldn't pass up the 2012 pricing he had/has working. I got these in March and truly, truly love everything about them.

View attachment 53261

Like yourself, Gretsch is the sound for me. Ever since I owned a set back in the early 80's which I since sold for various reasons, no brand I've played has satisfied me as much. Not even the Recording Customs I played for 25 years which I sold earlier this year to purchase this one.

Sorry, if you're looking for me to talk you out of it, you've come to the wrong person.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure you want a new kit?

Well, I haven't closed the door on a vintage kit. But I'm leaning new right now.

That's exactly the kind of help I'm looking for. You guys are great enablers, which is what I want.

this kit is all you bro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIqSf8bZ7OY&feature=player_embedded

come join the family

me, Grunt, and dmacc are waiting for you

these kits are gorgeous , have that vintage sound, are made right here in the USA, and can be passed down from generation to generation

they are the round badge of our generation my man

hear this gorgeous kit here

http://www.maxwelldrums.com/gretsch-brooklyn-series-1812145x14-mahogany-stain-drum-p-5972.html

WOW. The sound of that kit could have been lifted from Eye Of The Hurricane. That's the sound.

So Lar are you set on USA customs? Not vintage round badges? You could go the restore route. What size kick do we want?
Gotta start with the kick size, so we know where to go from there.

I'm leaning new but could go either way.

Sizes I am set on: 14x18 bass, 8x12 rack and 14x14 floor.

Let me help to further push you towards your next purchase.​

Beautiful.

Straight from Maxwells and I shake my head in amazement every time I get done playing them.... Couldn't pass up the 2012 pricing he had/has working. I got these in March and truly, truly love everything about them.

View attachment 53261

Like yourself, Gretsch is the sound for me. Ever since I owned a set back in the early 80's which I since sold for various reasons, no brand I've played has satisfied me as much. Not even the Recording Customs I played for 25 years which I sold earlier this year to purchase this one.

Sorry, if you're looking for me to talk you out of it, you've come to the wrong person.

Your kit sounds amazing, too, dmacc.

So here's the craziest thing of all: I'm contemplating Tony Williams Yellow. Something about a 4-piece bop kit in that finish. Tony didn't switch to that finish until he got the larger kit, so I feel like there's a cool retro-take-on-a-classic-look-merged-with-a-modern-set thing going on there.

I love Gretsch drums and currently own a RB kit, SSB kit, and Renown kit. The new round badges put me over the edge and have a USA kit designed close to the Art Blakey tribute kit on order from Steve Maxwell. BTW- Steve was a pleasure to deal with and is working hard to keep the vintage vibe alive!
Jeff

Here is the build:

Gretsch USA Custom
merlot sparkle
8x12, 14x14, 14x18, 5.5x14
round badges

5.5x14: 8 lug, Lightning throw off, snap in key holder.

8x12: standard build out with RIMs-style suspension mount included

14x14: Heavy duty diamond floor tom leg brackets (not the lighter weight vintage ones).

14x18: Vintage spurs, T rods, padded claws, gloss black hoops with merlot inlay, resonant head Fiberskyn with offset Gretsch logo.

Other items: I will send you one complete rail consolette tom holder package (rail, upper section, short spade, long spade, L arm, hex key and slotted diamond bracket for tom). NOTE TO MY STAFF: These will NOT be installed on the drum set. Just send to Jeff and he may decide to install them at a later time himself.

Attachments

• Art Blakey.jpg
    Art Blakey.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 4,153
Back