Steve Jordan .... yeah ... watch it !

Nice. Thanks for the link.

I'm loving all the clips you are sharing here Ant. Steve is one of my heros. He's such an intelligent man, and I love what he has to say. I've loved his drumming since I first saw him on SNL. But I really became a fan during his Letterman days. That man has the baddest floor tom single stroke roll. I used to wait for Letterman to do #1 of his top ten because that's when Steve would go to the floor tom... and just kill it.

I like Steve because he is in demand by cream of the crop players, yet he is not known for his solo work. I've never heard him solo. It would be interesting to hear his approach. He excels at making everyone else sound great. I admire his approach to music. I like that he puts the song and the artist above the drum part.

Why is this guy so cool? When I grow up I want to be Steve Jordan!

I had to go and watch the James Brown performance on Letterman after he talked about it. Stunning. Check that out too!

What a cool even-keel kinda dude.
Ya the James Brown bits from Letterman were awesome.

"Even if I weren't making a living making music, I'd still be making music."

Gotta love Steve Jordan!

AT one point I studied all of Steve Jordans grooves and licks.. a great way to 'up your game' as he is chock full of tasty fills and funky riffs - whatever the genre.
Here's the Letterman performance he talks about.. too bad Will Lee is standing in front of the drummer throughout!

My favorite part is that Al Sharpton does James Brown's hair.

Why is this guy so cool? When I grow up I want to be Steve Jordan!

I had to go and watch the James Brown performance on Letterman after he talked about it. Stunning. Check that out too!

OMG! So tight that performance! Stunning

AT one point I studied all of Steve Jordans grooves and licks.. a great way to 'up your game' as he is chock full of tasty fills and funky riffs - whatever the genre.
Here's the Letterman performance he talks about.. too bad Will Lee is standing in front of the drummer throughout!

I think I played along to that first Blues Brothers album so much you could see through it! I was influenced by Steve since 1978!

Is it me or does he remind any of you of Elvin when he plays, like how he holds the sticks and his facial expressions, kinda reminds me of Elvin

Cat didn't even think about the enormity of his gigs until he got to Letterman. That's some laid back chillness right there.

If I could have just 1% of SJ's groove, I reckon I'd be pretty satisfied.

And for folks interested in the James Brown TAMI show performance Steve referenced, a cool little story with the YouTube video here:

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/possessed-james-brown-eighteen-minutes

Anyone know, is that Clyde?

BTW, Hal Blaine was on this same gig as part of the house band.

I like Steve because he is in demand by cream of the crop players, yet he is not known for his solo work. I've never heard him solo. It would be interesting to hear his approach.

You should check out his DVD "The Groove Is Here". If I recall, he has a single solo spot -- and he nails it, quite obviously.

Back