Red Menace's Stage Custom

Red Menace

Platinum Member
Finally found mah' camera...well more so the cable to connect it to the computer. My kit is finally complete and ready for gigging. Here are a few snaps of it set up in the living room.

It's a Yamaha Stage Custom 4 piece.
12', 16", 24" with a 14" snare that'll probably be the next thing to go.

Cymbals:

15" Ziljidan Old Beats (70's era New Beats) Just bought these babies and I LOVE them!
14" AA Sound Control Crash
10" Zildjian ZBT splash
18" Sabian XS20 Medium Thin Crash
20" Sabian XS20 Ride

Axis Kick pedal

Enjoy!

Attachments

• drumb 1.JPG
    drumb 1.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 518
  • drumb 2.JPG
    drumb 2.JPG
    159.3 KB · Views: 523
  • Drumb 3.JPG
    Drumb 3.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 510
Only a 24??? Soooo tiny! Looking good Luis, I'm digging the 15" hats!

How are you liking the Axis single? I'm only playing singles now (switching between a dw5000 and Yammy FDD), and I almost snagged a non longboard axis single off CL for 50$, but missed it by like an hour.

Very nice!

Session great (and original Sly and the Family Stone drummer) Andy Newmark used to play your sizes (he said this years ago) and when asked about it, he said on a standard 4-piece, the 13" tom didn't go high enough, and he wanted his bass drum to make peoples' knees crumble when they came in front of it! You have the right idea!

I am confused as to why buy a 24 inch bass drum and then fill it with laundry so that the air volume is like a 16 inch. Empty that bad boy out, get it tuned properly and maybe you can buckle some knees.

Thanks for the comments guys. Andy, If I were in a metal outfit I'd probably have a 28" monster like yours. This works surprisingly well for the lighter stuff too though.

@Bo. Another great drummer that I have never heard of but I now love. I love the knee shakin' kick but I actually like the tom tuned low. I suspect my ideal setup would be 13, 16, 24. I've also toyed with the idea of using a 14" floor tom as my high tom. I don't think that's been done before...

@DMC. I wasn't going to say anything till someone noticed but all the bedding is just to quiet the kick for rehearsal. I'm all about letting the drum breathe. The horizontal strip of red fabric is the only muffling I actually use. I was thinking about trying coated heads but I hadn't thought of a coated kick batter. How would that affect the sound.

As for the hats, they have more volume that their 14" brothers which is exactly why I wanted them. For jazzy stuff where the left foot is keeping time the hats aren't getting swallowed up in the din. I'm dying to try them out in a heavier setting but I can already feel there's a lot of volume in those that's there is I need it.

@GD. See previous. Eventually I plan to get a better batter head for it but 50 bucks is not worth it till I start gigging again but I love the sound of this baby wide open. I swear the crap stuffed in there is just for rehearsals. We don't have a PA yet and the singer has a quiet voice.

While we're on the matter, Anyone have a good recommendation for a good Kick batter that comes in a 24"? Ideally I'd like to put that on there and not need any other muffling.

Thanks again for the responses guys.

Hey Luis, that kit looks menacing! Glad to hear you're not a spin dryer kick freak, lol. Although not really for me, try an Onynx batte for your kit. Dry, dark, but open, with lots of controlled booooooom. Lovely on a 24"

@GD. See previous. Eventually I plan to get a better batter head for it but 50 bucks is not worth it till I start gigging again but I love the sound of this baby wide open. I swear the crap stuffed in there is just for rehearsals. We don't have a PA yet and the singer has a quiet voice.

While we're on the matter, Anyone have a good recommendation for a good Kick batter that comes in a 24"? Ideally I'd like to put that on there and not need any other muffling.

Thanks again for the responses guys.

That makes a lot of sense now that you explain it.

I am partial to Fiberskyns, as they will remove overtones and give the drum a nice round even tone. But any thicker head should be good to reduce overtones and yet let the drum really open up its voice. I bet that bad boy 24-incher really belts!

Back