I need help picking a drumset!

victornguyen99

Hey people, my names Victor and i'm looking to upgrade my drumset to a 5 piece. As of right now i'm using a 4 piece. I mostly play Indie,Rock,Pop, and Funk. My budget is around $400 for a Shell pack with tom mounts included. I'm looking at this Gretsch Renegade kit( http://www.gretschdrums.com/?fa=drums&sid=694 ). I found this kit Used at my local music store for $350. I know its a complete beginner kit, but i'm planning on getting it and sell the cymbals and stands that come with it. I'm also planning to upgrade the drumheads on this drumset. Could you guys tell me if I should get it? Is the price worth it? or should I get a different kit. Please recommend me a different kit if theres a better one out there! Thanks!

The Renegade is not the best when it comes to Gretsch. You would be much better off buying a better model, Catalina,or Renown, used or you will be right back here in a year asking the same questions. many used kits will be better than this GRetsch kit. good luck.

As the Mayor said, that kit will not be adequate for you in a very short while.
You need to set your sights a bit higher.
You could always add another tom to your existing kit until you save enough to buy a pro level kit.
Slowly add pro level cymbals at the same time.

Find a used 10" rack tom that is either a Tama Silverstar or one that matches your kit.
eBay has single drums constantly for sale.
You could even find a matching Silverstar kit to your 13" tom that has a 10" tom

a rack tom. maybe a 10in. im not sure. ive put at least $300 into my drum kit already

My advice.

Short term. Get another used Tama tom for under $100 and put the remaining money in the "my first pro kit" fund.

Long Term. Save $750. Buy a used/clearance pro-kit.

If you're set on buying an intermediate kit, every brand has nice ones. Get one that you think will be easy to resell later.

What's wrong with what you have? Imperialstar and Silverstars are not bad drums. With the money you want to spend, why not get new heads for what you have? I understand your desire to add a tom, but are you really sure you need the tom? So much can be played with just four drums, and a couple of cymbals. The drummer has so much more to do with the kit sounding good than the other way around.

I think you should check out what masters like Buddy Rich can do on four drums before you start thinking you really need more drums. Why not post a picture of the gear you have now? I'd be interested in seeing it.

Good advice here Victor.
Either buy a used tom or play your kit as it is until you have ample funds to buy a pro kit.
If the drums in your kit that you have now don't match you can buy inexpensive wraps to cover the drums.

Hello All,

Warm Greetings!!!
I have recently joined this forum and this is my first post here.

Even i am planning to buy a new drum kit , price range (700-800$) with my long term savings :D
recently i got selected in a band which plays mainly covers of porcupine tree,pink floyd,potf etc.
As of now i have shortlisted the below kits

*pdp mainstage/concept
*tama imperial star
*mapex meridian series

Im more inclined towars pdp kits.
btw im from India, So if any of you are from India then please guide me to get a good kit available here.

Cheers,
rbk

What's wrong with what you have? Imperialstar and Silverstars are not bad drums. With the money you want to spend, why not get new heads for what you have? I understand your desire to add a tom, but are you really sure you need the tom? So much can be played with just four drums, and a couple of cymbals. The drummer has so much more to do with the kit sounding good than the other way around.

I think you should check out what masters like Buddy Rich can do on four drums before you start thinking you really need more drums. Why not post a picture of the gear you have now? I'd be interested in seeing it.

Thanks for the advice, are there any drumheads you recommend?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-08-06-00-31-37-1.png
    Screenshot_2014-08-06-00-31-37-1.png
    324.6 KB · Views: 468
  • Screenshot_2014-08-06-00-31-42-1.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-08-06-00-31-42-1.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 461
I'd focus more on cymbals than adding more drums.Imperialstars and silverstars as decent drums.Pair them with G2's or ambassadors or emperors batter side,and G1's or clear ambassadors reso side and you're golden.Look into some used Sabian,Zildjian Meinl,or Paiste cymbals....pro grade only,as replacements to what you have now.

Steve B

I'd get a cymbal and stand for that price, having two different crash voices is never a bad thing.

I had an Imperealstar and while it is not a bad kit it doesn't sound great to me. I also had a Silverstar and those are pretty solid kits, but if that is not working for you I see no problem with getting a new one.

That being said I REALLY agree with everyone to BUY USED! It will save you soo much money and you will get a more quality kit. Personally, I hunted for the right sound forever and for me it is maple drums. Granted I got a DW Performance which is not cheap (Got it barely used for $1000).

The Grectch Renegade is a starter kit so it would be a lateral move quality wise. Craigslist and Ebay are cool but I strongly suggest looking at Guitar center's used section. You can look at kits all over the US and have one shipped. You can probs get a Gretch Cat, PDP LX, CX, Concept, Mapex Meridian, Etc. You can also demo new versions in store just to make sure you like the sound in general.

Just my two cents. There are some amazing used kits out there for cheap. Good luck!

Back