Help Decide: Saturn or Starclassic B/B

KlarkKent

I like the sound of both of these kits, so does anyone know if either kit has a quality or hardware edge? I've heard some complaints about the air vents on the B/B kits rattling (can be easily fixed, I think), but otherwise I'm not sure if the Saturn has better quality or the B/B.

Any opinions?

I own both and like them equally the same as far as sound goes. The only thing I don't like about the Saturn is how large of a footprint their floor toms use.

The mounts for floor tom legs and the rack tom mount on the kick are attached to the lugs, whereas on the tama they're drilled through the shell, that's what rise meant.

The new edition saturns don't have this feature so you if you want it you'd better get a 2012 model while you still can.

I've got saturns but I love the b/b's too. The saturns sing long warm notes (unless you wanna tune them a bit higher and choke them a little) and the b/bs have a quick decay, a bendy, low sorta tone in my experience. I'd get the saturns, theyr'e a bit cheaper too.

I think there is little to seperate them quality wise- it's all about preference in the end. I have a Saturn and love the way it sounds, but you may think differently...

Trust me Superman, Starclassic all the way, no doubt about it :)

Oh, I beg to differ.

That's why it's important, in the end,. to make your own mind up and not rely of the opinion, and it is only opinion of others.

Oh, I beg to differ.

That's why it's important, in the end,. to make your own mind up and not rely of the opinion, and it is only opinion of others.

Totally agree Iain, but having played Tama for more than 30 years and being extremely happy with their product might have influenced my opinion on this subject :)

Totally agree Iain, but having played Tama for more than 30 years and being extremely happy with their product might have influenced my opinion on this subject :)

And I was a Tama player before i saw the light, ahem, I mean changed my manufacturer allegiance. Cost was a big factor for me and a Starclassic in a finish and configuration that I wanted would have cost me nearly twice as much- my kit was in stock and fairly heavily discounted and on a value for money basis, there was really very little thought needed. That and I really didn't like the starcast mounts on my old Rockstar Custom and the difficulty they gave me getting my toms in the correct position, althopugh they made great mic mounts nad with the exception of Andy's drums of beauty and the like, I don't honestly think that there is an ounce of difference in real terms between pro level kit a and pro level kit b other than how they are tuned and played. They all sound great when played and tuned right.

And I was a Tama player before i saw the light, ahem, I mean changed my manufacturer allegiance. Cost was a big factor for me...

Mmmh... I saw the light last year TBH, so if I buy a new kit it won't be a Tama this time round, not a Mapex either... and cost IS a big factor this time round, the enlightening kit's going to cost me a small fortune, but it genuinely worth every penny, it's not in the same league though :)

Mmmh... I saw the light last year TBH, so if I buy a new kit it won't be a Tama this time round, not a Mapex either... and cost IS a big factor this time round, the enlightening kit's going to cost me a small fortune, but it genuinely worth every penny, it's not in the same league though :)

I think I am aware of the tubs that you covet.... ;0)

I'd go Starclassic as well. This photo should help sway you. I believe Mr. Bo has one of these kits in his growing collection. Sweet!

Attachments

• tama (V0034001).JPG
    tama (V0034001).JPG
    178.1 KB · Views: 394
Starclassic,hands down.Sound,fit ,finish all superior to Mapex.

Hardware? They don't call Tama "the strongest name in drums" for no reason.Tama has and does raise the bar.

Steve B

Last edited:
I would also say starclassic. If you want a drum you are still proud of 10 years from now, go with tama.

If it was me making the decision between just those two, it would have to be Tama Starclassic. In fact tonight I just missed out demoing their new Star flagship lines of drums. I really wanted to hear them. The Tama people have always treated me very well.

I already own their Japan made Starclassic full bubinga set of drums. For their particular sound, there's nothing that can touch them.

Dennis

The new edition saturns don't have this feature so you if you want it you'd better get a 2012 model while you still can.

There's some nice pricing on the 2012 leftovers right now.

it's not in the same league though :)

you might say that these drums are made by masters, or sages, or teachers, or tutors of their craft...

On topic, though, I'd say: get the Saturns if you want versatility, otherwise, get the Starclassic. Personally I'd say that the birch and bubinga in the SC (two very hard woods as opposed to Saturn's softer maple and walnut) are more suited to heavier and louder genres of music. They're both very well-done kits, though.

Back