Gavin Harrison here!

Gavin,

If you could do another "drum-off" (like you did with Simon Phillips) with any other drummer, who would you choose?

Also, were you ever a fan of Jethro Tull's drummer Barrimore Barlow? The song "Hunting Girl" sounds especially difficult the first few times you listen to it.

Thanks for your time

Eric

Hi gavin

''Where is your drum lesson exercises (on drums)????''

And you have to post another ones like about your drum diary practice maybe...

Thanks
Humberto

Hi Gavin!

I was listening to Octane Twisted today while driving and thought of a couple questions.

First, I noticed quite a bit of your fills live do not follow the album tracks note for note. Is this improvised (i.e. different night to night) or did you just decide that the live fills felt better than what was recorded in the studio?

Second, maybe it's the mix, but your toms sound like they're tuned slightly higher live than in the studio. Can you comment on this?

Thanks!

Hello Gavin :)
I'm a huge fan from Indonesia. I know that perhaps gavin harrison or porcupine tree is not very popular here (shame), but i know that you've done drum clinic in malaysia.So is there any chance that you do drum clinic in indonesia too?or perhaps for the band to do a gig here?
Well, i'm no drummer myself but i won't miss a chance of seeing u play live! :)

thank you :)

Hey Gavin! Just a quick question about TMWSH. I have been wondering what the time signature is for the middle section of the song. (I've also been wondering why I haven't asked this question yet.) It starts around 1:10 in the video linked below. And if by some chance it happens to be in 4/4 (which I doubt), I tip my hat to you Mr. Harrison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjB0hBoidsQ

Thanks for answering.

Cheers -- Peter

Hey Gavin, I've got a question about the muffling in your bass drum. I know you've said before that its a "very heavy pillow," but I'm just curious if it is still a normal size pillow, or if it is also very large as well. I've seen videos of guitar center sessions where you can see that the pillow is going halfway up your bass drum head. Do you just have it turned so it is "standing up" so to speak leaning against the head? Or is it actually going the length of the drum as well? I'm also curious as to where the mic that is inside your drum is placed too. Is it laying on the shell itself?

I recently saw a video of you at the pasic convention a few years ago talking about why you muffle the drum the way you do, and how much easier it is to get clarity in your feet with such a heavy pillow against the batter head, and I definitely want to experiment with that more. I've been tending to use batter heads with built in muffling and a very small light pillow that would sit at the end of a couch. I'm interested to see if I'll like the feel better with a harder surface to hit.

I also have a funny question for you...I was recently watching the anesthetize blu ray, and there was a shot where the camera is panning around the back of the stage and you see a set list hanging on something. I paused it since I wanted to see how different the order of songs was than what is actually presented in the dvd. So on the list I see...

"Normal
Drown With Me
Stars Die
Cheating the Polygraph
Anesthetize
Scooby Doo With Trombones
Wedding Nails"

Haha so is scooby doo some kind of inside joke nick name for a song or was it some joke among the crew that doesn't even mean anything to you guys? And did you guys really perform stars die? Wish I could have seen that. Thought I'd read somewhere SW talking about how that is one of those songs that logistically you can't really perform live how it was in the studio since the vocals are essentially a whisper.

Thanks as always for the drum talk!

Haha so is scooby doo some kind of inside joke nick name for a song or was it some joke among the crew that doesn't even mean anything to you guys? And did you guys really perform stars die? Wish I could have seen that. Thought I'd read somewhere SW talking about how that is one of those songs that logistically you can't really perform live how it was in the studio since the vocals are essentially a whisper.

Thanks as always for the drum talk!

Not to speak for Gavin of course, but I was at the gig (I was at both gigs). Stars die was indeed played the second night. I was pleasant surprised with it (as I love the song). I was in general very surprised with the second day. My expectation was that it would be just the same set as the day before because of the filming. But the setlist was very different.
The song they played after Anesthetize was Prodigal (which is I believe available on the audio cd's from the deluxe edition).
But i'm curious about the name too…

@Gavin: I noticed you will take the new blue kit on the road. Will you also use the Protean snares on tour?

Not to speak for Gavin of course, but I was at the gig (I was at both gigs). Stars die was indeed played the second night. I was pleasant surprised with it (as I love the song). I was in general very surprised with the second day. My expectation was that it would be just the same set as the day before because of the filming. But the setlist was very different.
The song they played after Anesthetize was Prodigal (which is I believe available on the audio cd's from the deluxe edition).
But i'm curious about the name too…

@Gavin: I noticed you will take the new blue kit on the road. Will you also use the Protean snares on tour?

Ah that is awesome that you saw Stars Die! I can't complain too much though, I've seen Porcupine Tree several times in the Philadelphia / Atlantic City area and I saw their one off show at Radio City in NYC.

I love when bands surprise you with an old or rarely played song. When they were touring in support of Deadwing they played Burning Sky in philly which was a pleasant surprise. They also did Fadeaway with John Wesley doing lead vocals which was really cool.

Dear Gavin! Congrats on your signature snare drum(s) and thanks for the nice videos!
Hope I'll get the chance to play one sometimes, or even own one :).

Now my question today:
Which exercise or other kind of training/experience do you feel helped you the most
in becoming very accurate in keeping time and being tight?

Hi, Mr. Harrison. Have been a fan of your talent for many years. Love your arrangements and skill around the drum kit. I have to say though, I am a little disappointed with the pricing of your just released snare drum line, The Protean Series. I was just wondering if you had any input regarding the price point. They look really cool and sound great, and I love the quick change snare idea, but I'm not so sure they are $1000.00 great retail cost for the deluxe package 14" snare. Unfortunately, I think they are now priced out of most everyone's reach except pro, the very rich, and maybe semi pro drummers. Something to think about. Oh well, cheers.

Hi Gavin!

Two quick questions!

First, I'm travelling to London next May and I wanted tips on drum shops and general music shops around town. Instruments and/or records, please!

Second, is there any chance you'll have any appearances in London next May? It would be pretty awesome to see a clinic/concert/masterclass of any kind!

Cheers!
Heitor.

Hi Gavin! Do have any experiance in other drumwoods (like: full birch kits, birch/bubingas, full bubingas)? The reason I'm asking is I'm currently I'm playing a 6pc fusion sized Gretsch Ash drum kit, but lately I felt that I'm missing something from the sound. A bit more... tone, warmth, and a fraction bit more sustain. I feel it's a bit dry to me now. It hasn't been an issue 'till lately, but... At Wembley Drum Centre I found a gorgeous birch kit (Tama Limited ed. 6pc Hyperdrive) for a nice price, but I have zero experience with birch. Noone has one in my area (Hungary, Debrecen), and the sales-talk is worthless to me. So I could not decide. Plus I was afraid that the overall tone will be "too bright" because of the shallower toms and the birch material. So my attention turned to the Tama Birch/Bubinga Hyperdrives. I like the idea behind the shallower toms (faster response - something similar to you liking the shallower snares), plus the added bubinga gives them a bit more low end. For some reason a pure maple kit's sound is "uncontrolled" to me. A bit too much "boing". Maybe that can be "cleaned up", make it more focused through tuning, but I'm not sure.

So my question is a bit long: What's your opinion on full birch kits, birch/bubingas, and shallower sized toms? I know I should hear the kits, thats the only way to be sure, but as I said, I've got zero chance to do that. So I ask as many accomplished players as I can, and than I'll do my best to choose well. Thank you in advance for any advice that you can give!

Cheers, and have great fun on the tour!
Matthew

Hi Souljacker

I heard someone say that the Sonor Prolite kits are the same as SQ2s (parts,drums etc) but the SQ2s are the custom designed versions. Is this true?

Yes they share many of the same top quality parts as the SQ2 range. The SQ2 is completely customizable - in terms of type of wood, thickness of wood, and shell sizes.

Hi euphoric_anomaly

If you could do another "drum-off" (like you did with Simon Phillips) with any other drummer, who would you choose?

I'd love to do something with Steve Gadd - of course it would be very different to the thing I did with Simon (who was AMAZING).

Also, were you ever a fan of Jethro Tull's drummer Barrimore Barlow? The song "Hunting Girl" sounds especially difficult the first few times you listen to it.

I've never really listened to Jethro Tull so I don't know that song.

Hi Embalmer

I was listening to Octane Twisted today while driving and thought of a couple questions. First, I noticed quite a bit of your fills live do not follow the album tracks note for note. Is this improvised (i.e. different night to night) or did you just decide that the live fills felt better than what was recorded in the studio?

A bit of both. I have some that I improvise and some that I just found (what I thought whilst I was on tour) to be better - or at least different - but equally suitable.

Second, maybe it's the mix, but your toms sound like they're tuned slightly higher live than in the studio. Can you comment on this?

I can't say that my toms are tuned exactly the same all the time. On the live Octane Twisted (compared to the original recording) I was using a different drumset and about 18 months had gone by so it doesn't surprise me that it wasn't exactly the same tuning.

Hi amadiani

I'm a huge fan from Indonesia. I know that perhaps gavin harrison or porcupine tree is not very popular here (shame), but i know that you've done drum clinic in malaysia.So is there any chance that you do drum clinic in indonesia too?or perhaps for the band to do a gig here?

We'd love to come to Indonesia - but there's no plan to at the moment.

Hi Kalma

Have you ever tried a akg c214/c414 on snare bottom and md421 on the top?
If so, how do you like it?

Yes - and I didn't prefer them to Shure SM57 or Audix i5 on the snare drum.

Hi K_HiHats

Just a quick question about TMWSH. I have been wondering what the time signature is for the middle section of the song. (I've also been wondering why I haven't asked this question yet.) It starts around 1:10 in the video linked below. And if by some chance it happens to be in 4/4 (which I doubt), I tip my hat to you Mr. Harrison.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjB0hBoidsQ

You'd better keep your hat on because it's in 9/8.

Hi deadwing_007

I've got a question about the muffling in your bass drum. I know you've said before that its a "very heavy pillow," but I'm just curious if it is still a normal size pillow, or if it is also very large as well. I've seen videos of guitar center sessions where you can see that the pillow is going halfway up your bass drum head. Do you just have it turned so it is "standing up" so to speak leaning against the head? Or is it actually going the length of the drum as well? I'm also curious as to where the mic that is inside your drum is placed too. Is it laying on the shell itself?

It's a normal sized pillow (at least in the UK it is) and yes on the bass drums that are 18" deep (like the one I have in the States) it's standing up length wise. In my new Blue Tribal Sonor bass drum which is only 15" deep it is lying down side ways. It still touches the front head though. The mic is suspended in the middle of the drum (Kelly Shu)

I was recently watching the anesthetize blu ray, and there was a shot where the camera is panning around the back of the stage and you see a set list hanging on something. I paused it since I wanted to see how different the order of songs was than what is actually presented in the dvd. So on the list I see...

Scooby Doo With Trombones

Yes it's an inside joke. I could tell you what it means...but then I'd have to kill you!!!!

Hi Swiss Matthias

Which exercise or other kind of training/experience do you feel helped you the most
in becoming very accurate in keeping time and being tight?

You just need to learn how to listen...and how to listen objectively whilst you're playing. It's very hard to do. I recorded myself 25 years ago - and at the time I thought it sounded great. When I listen to it now I can hear all the errors (and it doesn't sound too good) - so my ears have got a lot better at hearing these things. If you can't hear the errors then you'll never be able to do anything about it. You need to train your ears and it has taken me a long time to get good at that - and I've still got a long way to go.
I used to record myself and then listen back with the tape slowed right down. That exaggerated the errors and made them easier to hear.

Hi Wolvie56

I have to say though, I am a little disappointed with the pricing of your just released snare drum line, The Protean Series. I was just wondering if you had any input regarding the price point. They look really cool and sound great, and I love the quick change snare idea, but I'm not so sure they are $1000.00 great retail cost for the deluxe package 14" snare. Unfortunately, I think they are now priced out of most everyone's reach except pro, the very rich, and maybe semi pro drummers. Something to think about.

I didn't have any input into the pricing of the drum. However it is a 'no compromise' instrument. No corners were cut (apart from the bearing edges!!! if you know what I mean). If you compare it to the other "Made In Germany" snare drums you'll find that comparatively it's not that much - plus this drum has a lot of extra features and innovations and a really good case. I think folks have become so used to the prices of drums made in China that the stuff made in Europe or USA seems really expensive.

Sonor 'made in Germany' drums are the real top end of the manufacturing drum companies and it's is reflected in the quality of the instrument.

Hi Heitor

First, I'm travelling to London next May and I wanted tips on drum shops and general music shops around town. Instruments and/or records, please!

Record shops pretty much don't exist anymore and there really are not many drum shops left either. You might enjoy visiting Wembley Drum Centre - that's a great shop with lots of stuff. It's a bit out of the centre of London.

Second, is there any chance you'll have any appearances in London next May? It would be pretty awesome to see a clinic/concert/masterclass of any kind!

I don't have any plans for appearances in London in May at the moment.

Hi szokematyi

What's your opinion on full birch kits, birch/bubingas, and shallower sized toms? I know I should hear the kits, thats the only way to be sure, but as I said, I've got zero chance to do that. So I ask as many accomplished players as I can, and than I'll do my best to choose well. Thank you in advance for any advice that you can give!

I don't have experience with Birch/Bubinga mixed shells. I have played all birch drumsets and I really liked them - but for the last 10 years or more I have mainly played maple drumsets with birch snare drums. I haven't played kits with really shallow depth toms.

cheers
Gavin

I think folks have become so used to the prices of drums made in China that the stuff made in Europe or USA seems really expensive.

cheers
Gavin
True. I'd also like to chime in. There's a cost to developing real world advantages rather than just the latest "feature" to build marketing distinction. The Protean snare package is something rare these days, & that's a well thought through design with a defined set of attributes. Worth it? = hell yes, if you're going to benefit from the instrument's features.

Hi Gavin,

What is your current studio bass drum micing technique these days? You've stated that you're using the Kelly Shu system inside the drum. Does this leave any room for the SM91, or any other mic? Is your studio application utilizing multiple mics or a single mic? Maybe it depends on the music - what you're trying to achieve...?

Thanks and good luck with the tour!
Jeff

Hey Gavin! I really love "all" of your work. Your sense of timing remains unmatched by anyone! I have a question about tuning your Bass Drum. I like to tune mine sort of tight for response (stuffed with a heavy pillow as well, I am old school too). Do you feel it gets a better sound tight or do you prefer it to be as some say "lowest pitch possible"? Thanks and keep up the awesome work!

Gavin Harrison said:
I think folks have become so used to the prices of drums made in China that the stuff made in Europe or USA seems really expensive.

cheers
Gavin

True!

But it's not really that expensive? At least in germany:
12x5 model: 499€
14x5.25 model: 599€

That's imo pretty "cheap" for such a great sounding/looking snaredrum...
These are actually the pretty much the same prices as other Sonor Snaredrums..

Hi Gavin!

I was very lucky to see you in Reichenbach yestersday! Very familiar and great concert. It was the first concert I've seen,

1. where not just the musicians, but the instruments where introduced (the owner very lovingly described you're drumset)

2. which started punctually

and 3. where I had the chance to stand 2 meters away from one of my idols performing!

I also want to thank you and the band for the signing session and the opportunity to take photos with you and the guys.

Where you surprised by the size of the venue and was it complicated to set up?

Cheers,

Christian

Back