Rattle on 12" Catalina tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

drumdevil9

Platinum Member
I'm having this problem with an awful screeching rattle on my Catalina tom at certain tunings. To get rid of it I have to tune higher than I'd like. I've tried different heads, adding plastic washers, switching the hoops around, removing the iso mount to no avail. It seems to be coming from the batter side lug area but it doesn't seem to always be the same one. I'm at a loss. Anyone have this problem?

I had this same problem with an old Slingerland tom.
I eventually found out that the wood plys had separated in one place near the mount. A spot about a 3 inch square.
It was as if there was no glue between the wood ply, there was space between one of the plys.
Of course the drum was 40 years old.

I hope this is not your problem.

I had this issue, for me it was that the tom was mounted on a cymbal stand and it was vibrating a washer.

No mine does it on or off the mount. I'm starting to suspect this is unfixable. Ludwig Club Date SE in my future?

Remove your lugs, inspect inside them and ensure that the springs are in place, and not loose or rattling. Some people stuff cotton balls, felt or even Kleenex in there to prevent any rattle - by movement of spring against lug.

If not that, likely your plies.

It's a modern kit with plastic stoppers to hold the receivers so no springs. I think I'm outta luck.

Check that shell for round and flat on the bearing surfaces-

Toolate may have a good idea here. I suppose it is possible that if the head bearing surface is not flat all the way around the rim, the head could buzz where ever there is a dip in the edge.

My first guess would be your swivel nuts rattling around in the lugs, or the plastic stopper, but it looks like you've already checked for that. Maybe check your vent hole? If it's the regular grommet style, you wouldn't have a problem, but I know some use one that's threaded and takes a nut on the inside to mount. If that's the case, maybe it worked its way loose? Washers between screws and lugs on the inside of the shell, maybe?

If plies are separating, that doesn't necessarily mean it's trash. Many people have successfully repaired delaminations.

Even if you just want to sell it to finance the Ludwig kit, you'd be better off if you can get the rattle stopped.

I just realized you never said if your drum had a wrap on it.
The wrap could be separating and rattling.

I don't suppose it's the airholes vibrating? I had that on a Tom once. Took me a while to find that.

I don't suppose it's the airholes vibrating? I had that on a Tom once. Took me a while to find that.

Me too - vibrating grommets on air holes in a PDP 16" floor tom. Fixed by a piece of tape at the moment. It doesn't sound like what you describe but you never know.

If you've checked the security of everything that can move, remove all hardware from the shell, & tap around the shell with a soft mallet or the heel of your hand whilst suspending it with a pinch between your fingers. If the rattle persists, then suspect a wrap or ply/glue issue.

I had overlooked that. I squeezed the grommet some more and it seems to have fixed the problem. But alas, I have decided to sell it 'cause I've found a used Ludwig Club Date SE Downbeat being sold by a guy locally. I've had my eye on those since they came out and finding a used one is a chance I can't pass up. And I will have more use for the 20" bass drum. I'll keep you guys posted once I get my hands on her. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back