My New KIT. New Paint Job.

JamesxChristopher

Hey Guys, Im new to this Forum... I just painted my toms and bass hoops on my drums. I would appreciate the feedback and would like to know if everyone likes it =)

Im quite proud of myself... It took me a while.. ahah

heres what the drums are...

Ludwig 70's 'Standard' 3 ply toms 13 and 16. ( Wrap was messed up and I got them for a steal!)

Kick Drum: 14x24 Rogers.. Missing tag... Holiday series perhaps? Non-rogers hoops... unsure the make of them.

Attachments

• Photo0826.jpg
    Photo0826.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 530
Wow good job with your kit man!
If you don't mind, can you link me to a website that shows how to paint the drums like that
it looks amazing!
and again, welcome to drummerworld
nice to have new members post some of their stuff!

wow! that's look really pro

although I would have painted the bass drum matching the toms, and the bass drum hoops wraped in crome . but that's just my personal taste , that's the beauty of customized drums that we all like different things,

Thanks so much!! I don't know any sites that instruct on painting... I just tried it at home. Im glad it came out how it did. It took me one full day to finish...heres what I did.. I hope this helps in your project.

1)The shells were bare.. i sanded them using 220 grit sandpaper to get rid of some glue residue left over from the wrap. which took some elbow grease for sure.. and was actually the hardest part..

2) After sanding, the shells were primed using a wood primer spray. it was a gray color...

3) I used Regular Black Gloss spray paint after the primer dried..

4) I used a gray metallic Textured paint for the stripe.. I TAPED with Painters tape using the LUG HOLES as a guide all around the drum.. covering all areas I Didn't want painted.

5) I bought a racing stripe from Auto Zone and only used the small stripes to line them up on the silver stripe.. (you can use a penny or a fingernail to scrape the stripe down so it stays on)
6) the last thing was to apply two coats of Polyurethane gloss spray..and let them dry over night or as directed by the label..

wow! that's look really pro

although I would have painted the bass drum matching the toms, and the bass drum hoops wraped in crome . but that's just my personal taste , that's the beauty of customized drums that we all like different things,

Thanks!
I really wanted to make the stripe on the bass drum too... But I ran out of racing stripe... ahahahaha
Also, since the bass drum has a wrap on it I was unsure if i could paint right over the wrap.. So i just settled for the hoops.. they were a blonde color before and didnt really match.

Back