Tattoos are cool I guess

I recently quit a band on good terms that I was with for 2 years. It was punk music
in the vein of say Ramones and Descendents.

Anyway, I saw their New Ad looking for a drummer to replace me and they put "Looking for someone with tattoos that fits the culture were into".

I have no tattoos. They never said anything to me about it while I was in the band, although the others guys do have them. I dress in the style of music i'd say, I just don't have any tattoos because I could never decide what the hell I wanted to get. I have no problem with Tattoos, I've always been into the idea, Just never got any done and at almost 41 years old, wondering if I should even bother.

It is funny though that it seems to be a "thing" that could make or break a drum audition. You show up to an audition and all the guys (or most) have them and you don't. But the playing should speak for itself. I dress the part, I just don't INK the part haha

I suppose you could always get stick on ones, and change them every gig to drive them nuts.....the seem pretty insecure to me.

Otherwise wear really bad footwear and say "oh sorry...hard of hearing after all these years...I thought you wanted Tatty Shoes ( boom boom)

Personally I think people who get ink done forget how crap it will look when they get middle aged spread...errrrk...

They sound like a shallow bunch. Count your blessings.

all really nice guys actually, down to earth and great players, Fun Shows, I had a lot of fun in that band. I just have no time anymore being a family man, to gig every weekend and have been thinking of slowing it down a bit for a while. Not quit, just take a break.

I get it somewhat, the "scene" and the "Music" revolve around this culture where you just have tattoos and are "wild" in a rock band, you know? not that Tattoos are 'Wild" anymore because anyone from Grandmothers to Librarians to Lawyers have them these days, it's become socially acceptable.

In some ways it's almost cool to NOT have any. LOL. Non-Conformist!, just kidding

You were smart to quit. Sounds like they need to grow up

Bands playing live are a visual experience.

It's pretty common for bands to want members who look the part.

If it's a wedding gig, it's expected to wear a tux, a country gig, it's expected one looks country. I don't really see a difference between those such gigs and a punk gig wanting someone who looks the part.

Anyone,that insists that a fellow musician as a requisit, be tatooed,is far from down to earth,and more shallow that a parking lot puddle.Since when is being tatooed ,a cultureal thing?

If you get a tat,it should be personal matter,and not to fit into any place,as a social thing.

Steve B

Some people get bent out of shape at being expected to dress a certain way to fit with a band's look...and now this!

If it's a wedding gig, it's expected to wear a tux, a country gig, it's expected one looks country. I don't really see a difference between those such gigs and a punk gig wanting someone who looks the part.

I do when it involves something more than clothing. Tattoos are forever.

I do when it involves something more than clothing. Tattoos are forever.

Me too. I'm all for "looking the part" when it comes to Entertainment, I get it...

But Tattoos don't really say anything except you paid money to get ink needled into your skin. I like them, I think they look cool on some people, I just don't feel like it should be a 'make or break' kind of thing when being accepted into a band. Saying "Let's go with the first drummer that auditioned because he has ink and looks the part instead of the other drummer that looks the part but doesn't have any ink" is silly.

Tatts are in fashion so it's no surprise. Imagine John's reaction if, in 1968, Paul turned up to a photo shoot clean shaven and with a neatly parted short back n' sides haircut.

Did anyone see that Bing Bang Theory episode where Howard and Raj try to pick up Goth girls by wearing fake ink sleeves on their arms? You could always turn up to an auditions wearing fake tatt sleeves. Might get sweaty, though :)

In the music business appearance counts.

I'm on the MI alumni email list.

Today two emails came across.

One was looking for band members of a very specific age range, and gave details of a very specific look applying musicians must have.

The second email specified the musician be a female.

Pretentious? Sexist? Age-discrimination? Perhaps. But they were also paid touring gigs.

Is requesting someone with a tattoo really any different than requiring someone to be of a certain age, or gender, or certain overall look?

I can't say I see much of a difference.

I don't think the band members are shallow.

They didn't kick the OP out, he decided to left. So they clearly appreciated his playing and they had fun as a group.

Now they are in the market for a new drummer, they figure why not go the whole nine yards and see if they can find someone with the same look as the rest of them.

Like DrumEat Drum this is the entertainment business and look is a part of things sometimes.

It's the complete antithesis of punk rock to insist that someone conforms to a style or look.

And I've never ever heard anyone claim that tats=punk rock

Biggest pile of nonsense I've ever heard (not from you....but from OP's ex-band).

What arseholes

I don't think the band members are shallow.

They didn't kick the OP out, he decided to left. So they clearly appreciated his playing and they had fun as a group.

Now they are in the market for a new drummer, they figure why not go the whole nine yards and see if they can find someone with the same look as the rest of them.

Like DrumEat Drum this is the entertainment business and look is a part of things sometimes.

It's punk rock man.

There are hundreds of dead punk rockers, right now, rolling in their graves

:)

Tatts are in fashion so it's no surprise. Imagine John's reaction if, in 1968, Paul turned up to a photo shoot clean shaven and with a neatly parted short back n' sides haircut.

Did anyone see that Bing Bang Theory episode where Howard and Raj try to pick up Goth girls by wearing fake ink sleeves on their arms? You could always turn up to an auditions wearing fake tatt sleeves. Might get sweaty, though :)

Exactly...and when did punk rock turn into 'fashion'.

PASSION NOT FASHION

Really...can't believe some of the stuff I'm reading on this subject. What a terrible reflection on the modern punk rock movement.

But why am I surprised. I signed up some time back on a Punk Rock group on Facebook. Christ alive I've never come across such a bunch of musical nazis in my life..."Green Day aren't punk....you're not punk because.....your band aren't punk....blah blah blah".

ARGHHHHHHHHHHH

:)

Back