Craviotto or DW Super Solid? Help me choosing snare!

AveyTare

hello

I'm ordering a Sonor kit and I want to get some fantastic snare drum to match my new kit.

Right now, I'm considering getting Craviotto Limited or DW Super Solid. Which one will you recommend? Since I live in Poland, it's virtually imposible to try them before buying.

Maybe you have some other types?

best regards :)

Well, the good news is that I don't see that you can make bad choice.

I might be tempted to go for the Craviotto, but if I could get the DW with tube lugs and more color options, I'd be looking at that, too.

Good luck!

I owned a 14x6.5" maple DW/Craviotto and I didn't care for it. It had a really boring sound, IMO...nothing remarkable or notable. I have found DW's plain "10-and-6" ply snares to have a much more interesting sound and broader tuning range.

Anyhow, I agree w/ Bo. Get a nice Sonor to go w/ your incredible new kit!

hello

I'm ordering a Sonor kit and I want to get some fantastic snare drum to match my new kit.

Right now, I'm considering getting Craviotto Limited or DW Super Solid. Which one will you recommend? Since I live in Poland, it's virtually imposible to try them before buying.

Maybe you have some other types?

best regards :)

While the two drums you mentioned would both be excellent, you might want to remember that Sonor offers a huge variety of snare drums too. SInce you are playing a Sonor kit, maybe have a look at their snares. Since you are in Poland, I imagine you can get Sonor a bit more affordably than you can get DW or the Craviotto.

Of the two the CRAVIOTTO would have better resale value and rates higher on the cool meter.

Attachments

• Picture 6.png
    Picture 6.png
    80.2 KB · Views: 988
I owned a 14x6.5" maple DW/Craviotto and I didn't care for it. It had a really boring sound, IMO...nothing remarkable or notable. I have found DW's plain "10-and-6" ply snares to have a much more interesting sound and broader tuning range.

Anyhow, I agree w/ Bo. Get a nice Sonor to go w/ your incredible new kit!

that's a bad news :( Zambizzi, you're ruining my dreams - first Ludwig and now Craviotto. thanks for honest opinion :) I found a Craviotto Limited Birdseye Maple not so far away from my city, so I think I'd go there and play it for a while.

Sonor doesn't make really nice snare drums? I've played some Sonors that were incredible, I figured you'd look at one of their signature models too.

they do, but since the whole kit is meant to be a dream-kit to me, I thought that some really SPECIAL snare would be a must and I can't find anything spectacular in Sonor range. I know they sound great, but I want something that feels special and Craviotto steam-bent shells and DW Super Solid do this to me.

I would recommend Craviotto drums in a heartbeat. I have an older 6.5X14 DW Craviotto maple and a 5.5X14 Timeless Timber birch. They're both great but I prefer the birch drum.

Having said that, the Craviotto drum that I see praised the most on the drum forums is 6.5X14 black cherry. Food for thought.

I would recommend Craviotto drums in a heartbeat. I have an older 6.5X14 DW Craviotto maple and a 5.5X14 Timeless Timber birch. They're both great but I prefer the birch drum.

Had a chance to grab the Timeless Timber Birch when it first hit the shelves... still kicking myself for passing on it... ah why?!!! doh! (smacks self in head)

anyway, of the two I'd grab the Crav if not for anything, better resale value then the super solid. plus the limited birdseye Cravs are gorgeous drums.

Well, I'm lost then.

What do you think about Dunnett Monoply Milkwood snares? I can't find much info about them and they seem to be great - beautiful, thin-shelled, with wide snare bed and QUITE inexpensive (considering my other options).

The Super Solids are unique in that the plank is heavily compressed before the shell is formed. This makes the wood very dense and produces a brighter tone.

They are the only ones using a process like this.

Still, it comes down to the ears of the drummer to decide what he likes best.

I have two DW/Craviottos and a DW solid and thay are amazing snares.

HTH

If money is no object and this is meant to be your dream kit, why not look at a Brady snare? Dunnett would be a great one too - mmmm...titanium!

Sorry to crap on your dreams bud...I just didn't like the Craviotto. It was...well...boring. Like I said, I think DW's ply snares have more character. Play the two side-by-side...you might agree?

Well, I'm lost then.

What do you think about Dunnett Monoply Milkwood snares? I can't find much info about them and they seem to be great - beautiful, thin-shelled, with wide snare bed and QUITE inexpensive (considering my other options).

I have yet to try a Dunnett mono ply in person. I like the design though.
love their stainer/hardware, and especially the fact that it's 8 lug design.

there is a sound file of the milk wood snare on Steve Maxwell's site...
http://www.maxwelldrums.com/snare-drums-dunnett-c-2_109.html
(last drum on the very bottom)
I'm digging the sound.

personally, I lust over this Dunnett snare... 7 x 14 birdseye... freaking gorgeous!
http://www.dunnett.com/products/wo-04.php

anyway, whatever you decide, you have a list of some very nice snare drums.
good luck with your search and congrats on your new equipment.

there is a sound file of the milk wood snare on Steve Maxwell's site...
http://www.maxwelldrums.com/snare-drums-dunnett-c-2_109.html
(last drum on the very bottom)
I'm digging the sound.

holy shit, the snare sounds great, but THE RIDE... whoah... awesome :)

the problem is, most of the snares sound great when recorded properly. as long as I love listening to the snare recordings, they don't translate well to real-world. I don't know why, maybe the feel is in fact more important than the sound itself?

... thank god sound is subjective.

Someone could record an ACROLITE with different tunings/heads present them as different drums and fool a lot of people.

Back