My Snare Collection/One to Go!

junglelord

My Snare Collection

FAT BOY
DW Neil Peart Edge
Drum Workshop introduced a special Collector's Series Edge snare drum.
DW Edge 30TH Anniversary Neil Peart snare
14X6 Brass center/Maple Rings
24 Karat Gold hardware
10 lugs
The Neil Peart Edge snare drum features
DW’s exclusive brass and maple Edge design.
that includes Rush’s famous “Starman” logo and
is finished to match Neil’s own kit in Black Mirra
Lacquer finish with 24-karat gold hardware and
DW's new Delta ball-bearing throw-off.

HEAVY METAL
Spirit of 2002 6.5X14
Shell: 2002 Bronze, from recycled cymbals, seamless cast bronze
Lathing: similar to cymbals
Finish: baked enamel
Hoops: gold plated zinc, die cast Lug Material: solid brass, tumbled & peened finish, 5/8" Hexagonal
Snares: Pure Sound Percussion
Strainer: 42 SnappyWire and Dunnett R Throwoff in Gold

Pic with the older original throwoff....UGLY.

After the Maker Over...now thats the Midas Touch!

BONHAM
Sonor Signature Bubinga Heavy HLD 580 14X8
12mm Beech
Diecast Hoops
12 lugs
Parallel Drop Strainer

MISS EBONY/ FIVE STAR
Sonor Maple Light Designer shell 6.4mm with innear and outer Ebony 14X5, 10 Lugs Diecast Rims

MR SOLID
Canopus Solid Zelkova 14X6.5, 8 Lugs Canopus Rims and Snare

Delta V
Dunnett Titanium 14X6.5
Ultra thin titanium shell in RAW finish, wide snare beds,
non-vented, 8-classic chrome tube lugs,
Nickel Drumworks Strainer, 42 strand snappy snares, 2.3mm Triple flanged hoops

WILDTHING
The Joshuatree Purpleheart/Paduk Stave 14X5
Diecast top/triple flange bottom
.5 inch thick
10 lugs brass rods
sounds like Stuart Copelands from the Police

JUNGLELORD
My Zebrawood Stave by SMD drums 13X5 .5" Thick.
Diecast Hoops all in Gold
.5 inches thick
8 lugs and tension rods all in gold
Sounds similar to the DW Edge, I assume thats due to the high silica content of the Zebrawood that gives it a nice brass sound

I hope one day to get THIS LAST ONE!

Sonor HLD 590 Bell Bronze

Last edited:
Thats the new home for my Spirit of 2002. I am really glad with this combination. Its a great fit. Heavy Metal. No wonder drummers drool!
PS I don't sit on that stool. I use a Pearl Roadster.

This is as close as I am to an SQ2. My Sonor Five Star Ebony Designer, 1 of 25, but the only one played by Thomas Lang and Steve Smith.
I placed an order for the 8" tom, still waiting on that due to SQ2 orders no doubt....LOL!

Seriously sweet collection..........I want to one day get the neil peart edge. I coulda had it for Christmas but opted for my Gretsch set, maybe next year.

I feel, at least to me that the DW Peart Edge is my favorite of the collection. I feel that the Five Star snare plays the way the DW does. Both have an incredible response to the stick with just the right amount of sizzel and decay.

Last edited:
Very Secure, Meet Conan
Boxer/Dalmation

The boxer in him, I'm sure makes him a lovable sweetie that would hurt a fly.. The Jeff Ocheltree.. how bout a trade with an old slighlty, very slightly pitted TAMA steel snare?

Last edited:
When I am with him, yes he is a baby, but people tell me when they come to the house and I am not home, he is a very different dog. They say no one in their right mind would try to get in. Thats a good thing I guess. I never trained him to be agressive, ever. In fact when he got bit by another dog three weeks ago (idiot agressive dog with an idiot agressive owner, proving yet again that dogs are like their owners, but thats another story) he never did a thing! I am very proud of my boy. He looks Pitbull and thats bad press so not being a dog to fight is very important to me. I actually carry papers to prove he is not a Pitbull. Plus he's got balls. Testicles are a good thing.

Snare addiction??
You`ve got beauties! And one which I looked at tghe most of the time: You`ve got a Canopus solid snare drum?? How it is? What`s your opinion about Canopus?
I just looked at a few Canopus drum kits and snare drums, they look and sound so good!!

Karl

Snare addiction??
You`ve got beauties! And one which I looked at tghe most of the time: You`ve got a Canopus solid snare drum?? How it is? What`s your opinion about Canopus?
I just looked at a few Canopus drum kits and snare drums, they look and sound so good!!

Karl

Its the loudest of all the snares. Its the most "Old School" of all the snares. Very much like a Buddy Rich, Gene Krupa sound to my ears. I hope that helps.

That collection is just incredible. Just wow.

The Dunnet snare is by far my favourite. Such an awesome finish, raw titanium!
I would say the Dunnett is the quietest snare, (snare on), out of the collection. Not to say its not loud or does not project well. Probably due to the 2 ply head on it that its at the bottom on that count (it came that way, not my choice, and I never changed it yet, I am curious to what it will sound like with a new head on there which its time for that so lets not make that an emphatic statement as comparisons for now).

I currently am using it as third snare with the snare off on the left side of the Ebony kit to the left of the Five Star and under the Dejembie. Its a perfect tribal sound like that and seems louder that way...weird.

I used to use it for late 60's rock and it was perfect for that. Nice snare for sure and something I wanted for a long time. Plus mine has a cool name, DELTA V, I like that, sounds like a rock snare!

Last edited:
That's a pretty damn enviable snare collection, I think I'd be happy with any one of those beauties.

So which is your favourite (if such a decision can be made)?

Incredible collection of snares! I would have a hard time deciding which one to play.

Also I would have to always play clear heads on those beautiful Sonor drums of yours! The finish on the inside of those toms are so nice on both of them I would hate to cover them up with white or coated heads.

WOW, you have a great snare collection! The Sonor Signature drums are fantastic, aren't they?

I remember playing a Bell Bronze 14x4 that was sent to me on loan/trial. It was a really beautiful instrument: warm, versatile, beautifully made. (I think that was when Sonor used the seamless construction method on their metal snare drums.) I can only imagine what a 14x8 Bell Bronze would sound like - even more special than the 4" I guess, with more volume and body; and that parallel snare action...

The 2002 and Zelkova snares are legend, too. I've read and heard so many good things about these, but haven't played or heard either "live". I have a Peart model in my collection, and I am pleased and also a little intrigued that you rate it over both the "custom" 2002 and Zelkova.

Can I ask you to please describe the overall sound characteristics of the 2002 and Zelkova against the dw? Oh, where's the Brady (lol)?

PS I like the "security system". My retriever howls when I play the drums at home - makes me feel self-conscious, the mutt...Thanks for posting the pics. Again, truly awesome.

That's amazing. Those snares are the drumming equivalent of owning an Aston Martin DBS, a Bentley Continental GT, a Porsche 911 turbo, a Jaguar XK and a Bugatti Veyron.

And I really like both your Sonor kits too. Jo-jo Mayer played on a kit similar to your Ebony Designer when he did a workshop here and it was a thing of rare beauty.

Back