Drummers who have influenced you

Boy that makes for a good question and BIG list. My interest are so diverse I have to cover alot of ground on influences not just kit drum players. Everyone from known to complete unknowns from individuals in tradtional tribal Aftrican drum ensembles to many individuals in Scottish pipe band snare drumming and old school Swiss Basel snare drumming masters some being old teachers to countless jazz players dating back from the beginning of jazz to it's current innovators. I Have a huge appreciation with current explorations in latin kit playing i'm hearing too. Some true current real drumset innovation happening by some young amazing individuals and some very serious leading edge drumset developments going on in that camp by again people known and not known to the greater population. A real melting pot of firmly rooted African traditional drumming with the later mix of latin and jazz influences thrown into the pot. The most exciting thing i'm hearing these days for a fresh new sound in music and drumming in general is coming out of the latin camp now and is having a current influence on my own playing and ways of thinking about music. Like they say you never stop learning if you leave your mind open to many new surprises crossing your path in a musical journey. Gilberto Moreaux living right here in Vancouver B.C. Canada is one of the scariest and most musical innovators of this new approach to the latin drumset i've heard to date,a truly inspiring player indeed.

For a general list of known drumkit players to share i'll give it a go and i'm sure i'll miss quite a few in the process:

Baby Dodds
Papa Jo Jones
Max Roach
Roy Haynes
Art Taylor
Art Blakey
Elvin Jones
Claude Ranger
Bob Moses
Tony Williams
Jack Dejohnette
Marvin "Smitty" Smith
Ralph Peterson Jr.
Dennis Chambers

the list goes on...

Only a few..
1.David Silveria with his funky stuff..
2.Terry Bozzio - he has kinda dark and weird feeling..
3.John Bonham..

these are in no order.
dom famularo
dave weckl
tomas haake
tiger bill
jimmy chamberland
lars ulrich
raymond herrera
david husvik
gene hoglan
mike portnoy
neil peart
vinnie paul
steve smith
tim alexander
rick lathem
martin lopez

My Drum Teacher
Dave Weckl
Manu Katche
Jojo Mayer
Alex Acuna
Buddy Rich
Louis Bellson
Keith Carlock
Thomas Lang
Abe Laboriel Jr.

Louie Bellson (mom gave me about 30 albums of him when I first started)
Elvin Jones (my favorite, such an emotional heavy heavyweight...)
Buddy Rich (yes, even though I find him completely boring now)
Philly Joe Jones (his sense of swing and rudiments)
Papa Jo Jones (swing swing swing)
Shadow Wilson (totally underrated and unknown...)
Jimmy Lovelace (ditto)
Nasheet Waits (1 lesson and he totally messed my mind up - in the best way)
Hamid Drake (the king of the drums)
Eddie Prevost (the smartest, most intellectual drummer I've ever talked to)
Joe Chambers (Footprints...'nough said)
GL Stone (you kids know his main book but do you use Accents & Rebounds too?!?!)
Joe Morello (his books, not his playing)
Jim Chapin (ditto + private instruction)
Lionel Hampton (those floor tom solos are ridiculous)
Gene Krupa (my mom spoon-fed him to me)
Mark Saners (one of the most amazing drummers ever...you are all sad to me)

Louie Bellson (mom gave me about 30 albums of him when I first started)
Elvin Jones (my favorite, such an emotional heavy heavyweight...)
Buddy Rich (yes, even though I find him completely boring now)
Philly Joe Jones (his sense of swing and rudiments)
Papa Jo Jones (swing swing swing)
Shadow Wilson (totally underrated and unknown...)
Jimmy Lovelace (ditto)
Nasheet Waits (1 lesson and he totally messed my mind up - in the best way)
Hamid Drake (the king of the drums)
Eddie Prevost (the smartest, most intellectual drummer I've ever talked to)
Joe Chambers (Footprints...'nough said)
GL Stone (you kids know his main book but do you use Accents & Rebounds too?!?!)
Joe Morello (his books, not his playing)
Jim Chapin (ditto + private instruction)
Lionel Hampton (those floor tom solos are ridiculous)
Gene Krupa (my mom spoon-fed him to me)
Mark Saners (one of the most amazing drummers ever...you are all sad to me)
Rashied Ali (hated him for the stories I heard - loved his playing always)
Ginger Baker ("Toad" - my dad's answer to Mom giving me all that big band jazz)
Tony Williams (simply astounding. More people need to know...)
Susie Ibarra (met her in NYC and fell in love...With her playing! amazing)
Hamid Drake (are you even reading these? Go buy Emancipation Proclomation)
Dylan van der Schyff (I haven't heard drumming like him...ever)
Han Bennink (Buddy who? Oh I'm sorry...This guy also has artistic vision...)

etc etc

Eric McPherson
Charlie Persip
NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

Bernard Purdie (probably my biggest at the moment)
Steve Gadd
Dom Famularo
Rick Allen (just from his determination as a disabled drummer, not really musically)
Billy Ward
Pistol Allen
Uriel Jones
Benny Benjamin
Jabo Starks
Clyde Stubblefield
JoJo Mayer
Tom Ruckey (current teacher)
Don Kirby (old teacher)
John Blackwell
D'erico Watson

That's a good list for now :)

And...

Max Roach
Max Roach
Max Roach
Max Roach
Max
Mr. Roach
Max Roach
Maxwell Roach
Max Roach
Max Roach
Max Roach

updated list

John Bonham
Neil Peart
Chad Smith
Travis Barker
Matt Sorum
Keith Moon
The Rev

The guys that I'm really into are all groove-based drummers

?uestlove
Steve Jordan
JP Gastier
Stanton Moore

as well as a heap of reggae, funk & blues drummers. They're all the cats that get a great feel going, usually with a shuffle, swagger or swing feel, and don't play a myriad of fills with umpteen toms, etc. Just pure, hard groove.

Mike Portnoy
Neil Peart
Bill Bruford
Gavin Harrison
Chris Adler
Lars Ulrich (he got me into drums so had an early influence but not so much now)

I think I posted a list before in this thread but I can't find it so I'll add Bobby McIntyre formerly (recently) of the Twilight Singers.

also..........................................................(sips wine).....Satan!

---LG

Joey Jordison
Chris Adler
Spug
Marthus/Adrian (Cradle Of Filth)
Virgil Donati

Chad Smith Started me off.
Brad Wilk Kept me going (Rage in particular).
Michael Barker is my favourite and Nicky Bomba is pretty sick too.

John Stanier -- originally of Helmet, Tomahawk, Battles, TMOC
Danny Carey -- Tool
Abe Cunningham -- Deftones
Tim Alexander -- Primus, and various..
Morgan Rose -- Sevendust
Josh Freese -- A Perfect Circle, Black Light Burns, and various..
Alex Albert -- formerly of Project 86
Sean Kinney -- Alice In Chains
Mitch Mitchell -- Jimi Hendrix Experience

Stanier was my main reason for wanting play. Helmet was/is one of my all time favorite bands. I've definitely listened to my share, and have always loved John's sound and pulse-pounding rhythm. The others are various drummers/percussionists off the top of my head that I've paid particular attention to over the years within my addiction to music. There are many more.

Last edited:
when i first got into drumming, the one soul person who made me want to drum was Travis Barker. i was obsessed with Blink so i guess thats how it happened, playing along to his songs was so much fun

these days its more

Brooks Wackerman (Bad Religion) - he is so fluid

Josh Freese (The Vandals / other bands, i mostly admire his Vandals work) - such creative fills and killer speed

Tony Royster Jr. - That dude showed me what real chops were!

Andy Newmark - Restraint, heavy pocket, definite groove. His stuff with Sly & The Family Stone and Roxy Music is some of my favorite drumming. His commitment is 100% to the song.

Bill Bruford - Boundless musicality. Drummer as composer. Thinks in terms of integration between players. Incredible talent. One of my all-time favorite musicians.

Terry Bozzio - Innovative approach to the kit is inspiring and admirable, though I don't have much of his style in my playing. He's off the charts in my book and has taken drumset playing to the next plateau.

Bill Ward (Black Sabbath) - Added very musical and melodic parts to his role. Greatly underrated.

Aynsley Dunbar - Remarkably versatile. Played any genre at top level. A drummer's drummer.

Paul Thompson - Roxy Music drummer, played incredibly well and enhanced every song with good choices and support. Check out his stuff on the albums "Country Life" and "Siren" to hear what I mean.

Vinnie Colaiuta - Like Bozzio, a source of awe and admiration, not necessarily a relatable style to my approach.

Buddy Rich - Tops in my book.

If I had to say who had the most direct influence on my playing, I would have to note a combination of Newmark, Ward, Thompson and Buford. (Not that I'm anywhere NEAR their levels, mind you!)

I would also point out some local players that I've grown up watching and digging in Chicago:

Gregg Potter - Excellent showman and hard driving monster of a player.

Tom Scheckl - Plays with The Buckinghams now. Another monster.

Bob Berg - Plays with The Stanley Paul Orchestra. Incredible musician. Wonderful human being.

Rock On!

TOMANO

The biggies (not necessarily the most influential in my overall playing, but the cats I always practice along with):

Jo Jones

Philly Joe Jones

Vernel Fournier

Sonny Payne

Al Jackson, Jr.

Zigaboo

All these cats just have inimitable groove and style worth soaking up. For the cats with real progressive ideas and unique sounds, I prefer to just listen. I may be more influenced by Tony Williams, but I'd rather try to groove along with Al Jackson. Dig?

Back