Dom Famularo

I saw Dom play with Liberty Devitto in May of 1989 (I think) at a clinic in my local store. I didn't know who he was at that time. He played first. His playing was mind blowing, he was a ball of energy. I remeber how happy and pleasant he was. It was a very nice evening. I haven't seen or heard anything like it before...or after. Now this was in 1989. I'm sure he's only gotten better with time. I would love to see him play again.

Rick, thanks very much for contributing to this conversation. I've talked with Dom a few times, and I've heard him play and speak publicly, but I've never had a chance to sit and jam with him. What a cool experience that would be.

...I'm intrigued by Dom appointing himself "Drumming's Global Ambassador" these days. Do drummers have any thoughts on that?
As has been said, this is the title that many have given to Dom, not one that he adopted himself. Read this interview that I did with him and you'll see why I'm one of those people who agree whole-heartedly that Dom can and does represent us as a community with grace and skill.

Now having said that, I'm intrigued by Dom appointing himself "Drumming's Global Ambassador" these days. Do drummers have any thoughts on that?

I have never actually heard Dom playing but he was kind enough to offer me his thoughts and help with some Wrist injury issues i had last year..

Ive been a fan of Doms for many years now, but was lucky enough to be able to bring him out for a clinic in July last year and offer him accomodation and transport - so I spent some time getting to know him.

For people that dont know Dom, you will probably not know that his dimeanour offstage is as professional and inspiring as his playing onstage. This genuine personality is undoubtedly what people remember most about him. He is the full package. A great player and great person.

The morning of the clinic, he offered to do a motivational speech for the staff at my work free of charge.

While setting up for the gig, he showed me more about my technique in 10mins than I had been shown in 16 years.

He is THE nicest and most accommodating man Ive ever met. He didnt stay behind a curtain like many artists, waiting to be called out. He was at the front door as soon as we opened. He signed items for everybody and personally thanked everyone for coming to his show prior to taking the stage. He even bought drinks for my wife and staff as they assisted him! He then went onstage and blew everyone away. He then continued to thank and sign things for people, and if I didnt get him out of there and into the car when I did, we probably would have missed his flight back home!

As an organiser, it is sometimes tough to coordinate a clinic in addition to dealing with attitudes and egos of the players. If he ever returns to Perth, Western Australia again I will be the first retailer lining up to host him again.

If you ever want to know what its like to get the absolute most out of every minute of your life, look no further than Dom's career. Hes a player, a teacher, an ambassador, a writer, a motivational speaker, a Dad, A Husband and a good friend :)

Having been able to witness Dom's playing on more than one occasion, I can assure you that this man is called "the ambassador" for a good reason. He has everything down from technique, to speed, to creativity, to a great pocket.

My History professor looks EXACTLY like him too. Funny..

Just last night I got a chance to see Dom at a local drum battle on Long Island. It was pretty awesome because no one new he was going to be there and he gave an awesome little speech about the drummers that were performing that night. I didn't get a chance to personally talk to him but he seems like a great guy.

Funny story:

So my dad was in a wedding band (played guitar) and Dom Famularo and his brother were involved with the wedding band company. And apparently Dom was absolutely horrible at playing. Absolutely, nobody wanted to play with him (because the company had multiple drummers) they could play with another drummer. And that's when Dom practiced a lot and finally became a good drummer. Now he is a legend of today and my dad cannot believe it!

Funny story:

So my dad was in a wedding band (played guitar) and Dom Famularo and his brother were involved with the wedding band company. And apparently Dom was absolutely horrible at playing. Absolutely, nobody wanted to play with him (because the company had multiple drummers) they could play with another drummer. And that's when Dom practiced a lot and finally became a good drummer. Now he is a legend of today and my dad cannot believe it!

Guitar Players Don't Know What A Good Drummer Is Anyway hahah

But What's Yer Dads Name I'll Ask Dom About This So We Can Get His Side....

Give Me The Details And I'll Get Back To Ya!

i have been taking lessons with dom off and on for about 2 years and i must say that he is the BEST teacher i have ever had.he knows more about drum technique then any other teacher i have ever taken lessons with and he always wants to help me get to the next level.he is also one of the nicest guys i have every met.
the way i first met him was in my home state of VA.i saw that he was doing a clinic in my area so i called him up and asked if i could take a lesson with him before his show.i also told him that i had tendenitis and that had been giving me problems for years.he told me to come down for the lesson and that he would not even charge me for it so that he could help me out with my wrist problems.i have been trying to drive up to long island to study with him ever since when im able to.and its well,well worth the trip.
i hope to study with him for many years to come because he has the knowledge to help me grow to be the best drummer i can be.and the pure fact that he really cares about all of his students is just awesome.you really get the major feeling that he is really glad to see you when you come in for your lesson.hes the kind of guy that will bend over backwards to help you out.
great teacher and a great human being!!!!

Dom is great! For about 2 years I have been lurking around drum forums. For the past year, I learned about House Of Drumming. This post reminded me of all the pro bashing on that forum. Not because that happens here, but because Dom takes a beating in there. Aside from the "big name" members, the posters can't really play. It's obvious because they post audio and video clips of themselves. That makes the problem there even more ironic. A bunch of drummers that can't play bashing Dom and other pros. I believe someone said Steve Hass was a member in addition to Peter Erskine and some others. I have been lurking around hod for sometime and have never seen a Steve Hass post from the man himself. One or two bozos from HOD that bash Dom talk about Steve Hass like he's Buddy Rich! Steve is one of today's top young drummers, but let's not get carried away. I bet they also didn't know about Steve's first drum teacher. Dom Famularo. I have seen Phil Maturano voice some great opinions, basically putting down the forum's moderators. Another great drummer that I first heard of in the mid 1990s. HOD allows too many negative posts about great drummers. Back to Dom. He is the first drummer I have ever seen to play fast, clean and precise double bass rolls. I saw him play for the first time in 1985. Later that decade, I saw him play at the first Buddy Rich memorial scholarship concert. He blew everyone away. I even saw Vinnie Colaiuta and Steve Gadd lose it when Dom played. Yea, I have been around. I'm an old timer. LOL

I first met Dom back in 1980 at a clinic for the Long Island Drum Center. I could imagine it was one of his earliest, if not his first major clinic. So I feel special.:) He was great even back then, captivating and imaginative. Dom was doing the open-handed playing back then, though he played traditional grip. I had read through Jim's book, Advanced Techniques, open-handedly as the instructions say, so I was impressed. It is strange that many notables will disparage Jim's book. I still use that book today. Just recently I went through it with a baiaon samba foot ostinato and cascara cymbal rhythm. It was all there in Jim's book 60 years ago if you had the foresight to see it. Jim invented everything when it comes to a modern approach to playing the drum set. When I was a kid I wanted to study with Jim Chapin. But I moved out to California after college so I never got the chance. Now back in NY, I still e mail Dom asking him when Jim is going to be available for a lesson. God Bless Jim.

I always wanted to study with Dom, as well, which I finally got to do recently. He really helped me to get focused on the drum kit. He has the formula for success, and I've been able to use his technique in concrete applicable ways. That's what it is all about in the end. His drumming style has changed over the years and is still changing. He is truly an innovator .I think if I had to note one thing about Dom, it would be his openness. Every teacher you go to will say this is the way to do things; but Dom brings it all in. He does not scoff at anything. His openness in that regard is a breadth of fresh air. I continue to learn from his teaching everyday both as a student and a teacher.

Last edited:
Dom Famularo is really awesome.
First, when I saw some vids from him, I wasen't THAT impressed. Even if I wasen't so interest in his style, I went to one of his clinic in Montreal. Oh my God, the feeling is so different when you see him performing live. He has such a POWERFUL presence. He is so generous and he share a lot of his knowledge. When you get out of the clinic, you feel incredibly refresh.

If any of you have the chance to see one of his clinic, go see him without an hesitation. EVEN if you think you won't like it. BE OPEN MINDED, he would said. And he is true.

Attachments

• Photo 005 petit.jpg
    Photo 005 petit.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 480
  • Photo 007 petit.jpg
    Photo 007 petit.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 459
  • Photo 011 petit.jpg
    Photo 011 petit.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 449
  • Photo 014 petit.jpg
    Photo 014 petit.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 458
I wanted to thank Dom For his book, The Weaker Side. After working through just 13 or 14 pages my left hand can now carry my beats just like my right. I now have indepenece in my left hand, and that is an accomplishment that I almost thought unattainable when I was just starting about 13 years ago. This book is fantastic and I look forward to continuing to work on it. Thanks Dom, and keep up the good work!

Dom Famularo, the man, the drummer, the laugh. I think Dom's an incredible musician, who has a real passion about the instrument he plays.
I've checked out some of his "cyber-lessons" with Jim Chapin (another drum legend),they're a were a real bonus when it came to the moeller technique. And as for his laugh. I just feel he genuinly enjoys what he does.
If it raises a smile from you that can't be a bad thing, lessons should be fun.
HaHaHaa.

Those are great videos over on the Vic Firth site. Dom (and Jim Chapin, of course) are so bright and enthusiastic. They're fun to watch even if you have the stuff down already.

I've met Dom several times and have attended his teaching seminar. I love this guy.

Dom Famularo is a legend!

And I love Jim Chapin's song about him. :)

Just took this off the web site for Norman Music Institute in Norman, Okla. If any of you are close, you might want to think about attending. I did so the last time he was in town and he puts on a great clinic.

World Class Drummer and Motivational Speaker Dom Famularo to present a Drum Clinic on September 15th @ 2pm free to Norman Music Institute students & 1 parent all others $5 also Drumset Master Class 10am-11am that morning with Dom - $25

The Norman Music Institute is located at 2795 Broce Drive Norman, OK 73072
(405) 292-8400.

Back