America's Got Talent??

jimtyler

After much prodding from my teenage daughter, I decided to send an audition tape to America's Got Talent TV show. The guidelines were to send around a 2 minute video of a copyrighted, regular song, no originals. I thought about my wiz of oz solo, but it is too long. I thought of the Money video, then thought of the judges and figured they might not have heard it before. My Amazing Grace solo has the swiss army triplets under the medley, I don't think any of them would understand that.
So I sent them a nice safe version of "Lean On Me". The hard part in this tune is keeping the snare beat going on 2 and 4 while carrying the melody. The opening and bridge has the melody in thirds which they may notice. I doubt if I hear from them, but at least I kept my daughter happy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESJjmsD0UhQ

That was off the chain man. I wish I could play syncopated stuff like that. Any more photos of the kit?

This post should have been in "Your Playing". Sorry everybody..
I'll post some more pics of the "small" version of my kit I used for my videos in the next day or two.
The set is Rogers, plus 2 pair of homemade piccolo toms (10 inch pair, 12 inch pair), and an old 18" marching concert tom. There are 12 different sized roto toms, and 14 different cymbals (I've added 3 more since Christmas). The rack and cowbell foot beater are homemade. Hope that helps.
Do you think this solo was the right pick for that TV show audition??

Do you think this solo was the right pick for that TV show audition??

That can be a hard question to answer. We are drummers and we definately feel the groove of what you were doing. I loved it. I see the technique and timing involved. Will a national audience of people who are not drummers like it?

I hope so.

Back