Gretsch Cat Jazz & Zildjian Ks - mmmmmm

What do you think about the 18 K Custom Session Crash? Can you ride on it much?.

The KC Session Crash is very nice. Definitely get the 18, it is a thin cymbal and smaller versions don't project as well. I call it my ballad crash because it has that K Dark Crash sound, complex, and opens up very easily. Soft or hard hits give you a sweet "boooosh" out of the cymbal with slightly brighter and mildly trashy lingering tones.

If you're a particularly heavy hitter, I would consider a beefier cymbal.

If I play this cymbal without being mic'd, then I have to be in a medium volume situation.

It mixes well with As and A Customs.

Although I have put up my big A Mediums and Medium Thins and kept the KC Session on the far right for that nice sustaining K sound. Like at the end of a softer chorus and the crash keeps going while you start the verse again. Very sweet.

I don't like riding it on that much because it's thinner and builds up to a roar pretty fast. A nice beefy medium or rock crash will ride better.

For $120 you can't go wrong unless you don't really like the sound of it or it doesn't fit with the music you play.

You should snag it.

The KC Session Crash is very nice. Definitely get the 18, it is a thin cymbal and smaller versions don't project as well. I call it my ballad crash because it has that K Dark Crash sound, complex, and opens up very easily. Soft or hard hits give you a sweet "boooosh" out of the cymbal with slightly brighter and mildly trashy lingering tones.

If you're a particularly heavy hitter, I would consider a beefier cymbal.

If I play this cymbal without being mic'd, then I have to be in a medium volume situation.

It mixes well with As and A Customs.

Although I have put up my big A Mediums and Medium Thins and kept the KC Session on the far right for that nice sustaining K sound. Like at the end of a softer chorus and the crash keeps going while you start the verse again. Very sweet.

I don't like riding it on that much because it's thinner and builds up to a roar pretty fast. A nice beefy medium or rock crash will ride better.

For $120 you can't go wrong unless you don't really like the sound of it or it doesn't fit with the music you play.

You should snag it.

Thanks, I'd mostly be using it for acoustic jazz...so it sounds like it would work really well. I'll have to see if they still have it (this shop keeps their used cymbals in a closet and you have to ask to get in there...its amazing they sell anything).

Question for TTNW: How did you remove the logos on your cymbals? I think they look really nice without them.

I used one of those Mr. Kleen Magic Eraser pads. You can get them at the grocery store. They work best when they are wet.

A WORD OF CAUTION: If you do not want to remove the clear coating that may be on your cymbals then be careful when removing your logos with these pads. The coating will come off. I don't care for the clear coat and I like a patina to develop. If you do this and you still want your cymbals to stay newer looking then you will have to clean and buff more often.

nice kit, a real class act, great wrap - what do you call the color?
some good posts on the cymbal sounds and such too, some first hand knowledge is always appreciated!
enjoy that incredible kit!

nice kit, a real class act, great wrap - what do you call the color?

Gretsch calls it white marine nitron. It looks like a white marine pearl but it actually doesn't really have any blueish hue at all more like an antique pearl. The natural finish is my favorite but when I got the kit, they didn't offer that finish yet.

Gretsch calls it white marine nitron. It looks like a white marine pearl but it actually doesn't really have any blueish hue at all more like an antique pearl. The natural finish is my favorite but when I got the kit, they didn't offer that finish yet.

be glad they did'nt - the wrap is gorgeous!

The snare is a 8 year old Titan hammered bronze. It has die cast hoops and weighs about 16 pounds. I use a coated ambassador on top and a clear ambassador with Puresound snares underneath. I bought it on Ebay a long time ago for $75 bucks.

For a cheap Chinese snare, it sounds amazing. I have been looking to buy another online and can't find one anywhere.

The guys I jam with on a regular basis, say that they like it best out of all my snares. I just got lucky with this one. Some times you buy a cheapy and they stink. This one is great. Go figure.

That's pretty amazing. I for one am always looking for a cheap deal online ;). Also i just noticed you're rockin a pair of vic firth noise isolation headphones, a very good purchase if i do say so myself :p

Back