When did Best Buy start Selling drum gear?

I know, seriously! They have a bunch of high end kits, a bunch of crappy kits, but no midrange ones!

I visited my local Best Buy at lunch and found three DW kits, two w/o snares and one with. Prices from $2800-3300. and they had three DW snares for sale. A few low end kits; a few cymbals, a few pedals...but all drums and hardware were either DW or PDPs and only Zildjian cymbals. Very weird, but they did give me two sticks when I asked to hit some cymbals. Unfortunately, the only drum kit set up to play (other than electronic) was horrible, cheaply made, had a broken reso head on one tom

i wish it was was another company that would go up against guitar center =(

but hey, anything is better than nothing!

(not a big Guitar center fan)

I'm getting a kick out of their product descriptions. Did you know that a Zildjian K Custom Hybrid 20 inch ride is compatible with most acoustic drum kits? See link! http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8558072&type=product&id=1211455016104

Makes you want to go in and ask which drum kits the cymbal is NOT compatible with. LOL.

This drum kit is "easy to assemble"
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9999108800050003&type=product&id=pcmprd108800050003

Makes you want to go in and ask which drum kits the cymbal is NOT compatible with. LOL.

This drum kit is "easy to assemble"
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9999108800050003&type=product&id=pcmprd108800050003
That would be cool. I would love to hear the answer. I wish that there was a Best Buy near me that sold musical equipment so I could go in, act dumb, and ask! Perhaps a forum member who lives near a musical Best Buy could do this so we could all hear what the sales associate would say.

That would be cool. I would love to hear the answer. I wish that there was a Best Buy near me that sold musical equipment so I could go in, act dumb, and ask! Perhaps a forum member who lives near a musical Best Buy could do this so we could all hear what the sales associate would say.

OK, this is officially my next prank call to Best Buy.

EDIT: DONE. Uploading now.

Last edited:
I have this distinct feeling a review of this is going to pop up in the next 72 hours...
I'll write the review. Here goes.
I brought ths symbol at your stor. It is a good symbol! It makes a lot of noise when I hit it. I haven't broken it yet. Next weak when i get my allowance im gonna buy a bigger and louder symbol at your stor.

Alright, I just got off the phone with one of the stores in my area, and the the guy brought up a very good point about the compatibility.

He said that if you don't have the proper hardware to mount the cymbal, then it's basically not compatible.

Kind of a stretch, but still makes sense.

Alright, I just got off the phone with one of the stores in my area, and the the guy brought up a very good point about the compatibility.

He said that if you don't have the proper hardware to mount the cymbal, then it's basically not compatible.

Kind of a stretch, but still makes sense.
That sounds logical to me. Did you ask him what the proper hardware is? Could it be a thing called a Cymbal Stand perhaps? Are certain cymbal stands not compatible with certain cymbals? If so, What stands are compatible with which cymbals? In the words of Larry The Cable Guy "I could do this all night"! Good job 805Drummer! It must have been hard to act that unknowledgeable about cymbals.

That sounds logical to me. Did you ask him what the proper hardware is? Could it be a thing called a Cymbal Stand perhaps? Are certain cymbal stands not compatible with certain cymbals? If so, What stands are compatible with which cymbals? In the words of Larry The Cable Guy "I could do this all night"! Good job 805Drummer! It must have been hard to act that unknowledgeable about cymbals.

Haha Larry the Cable Guy...yeah it pained me to talk about buying ZBT's because "I'm a professional drummer."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I6iHgGlrYo Here's the link to the call (skip to about 1:20 for the main part). At some points, I couldn't understand what he was saying, and you can tell xD

Haha Larry the Cable Guy...yeah it pained me to talk about buying ZBT's because "I'm a professional drummer."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I6iHgGlrYo Here's the link to the call (skip to about 1:20 for the main part). At some points, I couldn't understand what he was saying, and you can tell xD
I am surprised at the variety of musical products that they offer. They have a good inventory. Better than I thought it was going to be. By the way, You are a good actor! The video was great! I'm still laughing!

Last edited:

The guy was pretty nice and he made sense, he responded quite sincerely to your questions, though it did seem like he didn't really know what he was talking bout. But that copper/bronze thing was kinda embarrassing.

I am surprised at the variety of musical products that they offer. They have a good inventory. Better than I thought it was going to be. By the way, You are a good actor! The video was great! I'm still laughing!

Thanks! Yeah, they have more than one would expect, but only Zildjian and DW/Pacific stuff. The day they get Paiste, I will be a happy camper.

The guy was pretty nice and he made sense, he responded quite sincerely to your questions, though it did seem like he didn't really know what he was talking bout. But that copper/bronze thing was kinda embarrassing.

Yeah, I was hoping to get one of the slightly stupider employees. And the copper bronze thing...after I said it, I realized I shouldn't have. It just didn't have anything to do with the topic at hand, although his stuttering the answer was still pretty funny.

You know, I like calling Best Buy and Guitar Center about musical instruments. I usually know more than they do, so it's fun to mess with their heads--I would love to have asked that guy what the advantages of triple-flanged hoops are.

There's a review for that. You know how hard it is to find out what your cymbals are made of these days...

I just submitted a review too!

I think it'd be funny if all of us decided to post a review on one particular randomly-chosen simbol...then it'd be like 30 reviews, when everything else has none xD

Back