Post Your Greatest Weakness ?

How many of you drummers play double bass ?

• Total voters
Well, my biggest problems keep changing from week to week as my drum teacher keeps piling stuff on to work with :)

I need a lot of practice (since I'm new to playing) but the hurdles I've hit recently is mostly counting mixed with LH and RF coordination (playing open handed). I've had to learn to count screwed up on the 1-2-3-4 because when I throw the "an" inbetween in my head, I foul up. I've found if I try to nail the pattern musically, I can usually hit it and then go back and slow it down and start adding the count. Now throw in trying to read the music at the same time and I will usually fall apart. But I'm getting better day by day and session by session.

Today I was mucking it up doing 4/4 with a { 1, #, #, an, 3, #} bass drum pattern and switching to {1, #, #, #, 3, #, 4} pattern but I think I got it licked finally.

I got problem to find a foot technique for fast double bass drum.

sumwatt said:
Well, my biggest problems keep changing from week to week as my drum teacher keeps piling stuff on to work with :)
I think I got it licked finally.

You sound like a serious drummer who really wants to succeed...I'm a teacher and I pile on at times also...every now & then I come to my sences & back down & ask my student if I'm moving to fast..and we have a few weeks of review to fine toon is just as..if not even more important than learning something totally new.

I suggest you discuss with your teacher that you may be missing things because the amount of work he may give you is too much from week to week & you really want to absorb some of the material & master it to profefection..

Lee

TakaTakaTa said:
I got problem to find a foot technique for fast double bass drum.

I Jog & Run on my peddles with heel up....i'm fast but not a speed deamon...it's more i lose stanima than speed..but as an example once you are running on your peddles try and get your ankles to react like an old mans wrists shaking...it's that tecnique that will get your feet to the next level...

The old mans shakin wrist is the only way i can describe & explain what your ankles have to do..also get a metronome, set it at like 80 BPM as 1/4 notes, play a simple beat with 1/8th on HH & 2 & 4 on SD,

then play 2 measures each of 1/4 notes 1/8th notes and 1/16th on your feet....keep repeating over & over untill you feel your perfect and all 3 BD patterns feel comfortable & then keep adding 5 BPM to the metronome until your ankles are swollen & the veins are stticking out ready to burst, and every toe is numb

Peace!!!.....................Lee

Last edited:
hitsthingswithsticks said:
Have too many ideas. 6/8? I can't help wanting to alternate between 3/4, 12/16, etc. and now that I've got these quituplets down, my licks is messing with most of the people I play with. maybe I just need to join a math-rock band.

Try counting in your head while you play. 1-2-3-4-5-6.

The fact I have to work forty hours a week to pay for the dang things I need to keep practicing, but wishing I could quit my job so I could practice even more! It's a vicious cycle.

I wish I was good said:
The fact I have to work forty hours a week to pay for the dang things I need to keep practicing, but wishing I could quit my job so I could practice even more! It's a vicious cycle.

Man !!!...I don't have a degree in phycoligy but it's obvious you have got some negitive stuff goin on... your screen name says it all...

Your problem is easy to solve...your goin thru the exact same thing the whole world has to deal with...surviving !!!....LOL...do what i did to survive,,, I used my kit as an outlet to get away from all the pressure of life & took all my frustrations out on them..

Just don't quit your job if you have responsabilities just to practice...you'll find the time if you really want to get better....Good Luck...and be more positive...Lee

lately for me its been focusing on practicing technique and reading instead of just playin with music. Also my double pedal playing is weak its something i really want to develop though.

CVdrummer said:
16th note tripplets on the bass drum :/

CV
You obviously know how to play 1/16th note triplets on your hands... so just take a nice slow meter play 1 count of 1/16th note triplets on SD & 1 count on your BD's....and keep alternating until you feel it & it's clean & even in perfect time...then build your tempo slowly

It'll click for you...just keep sweating....jogg on the peddles

Have a "Great" day...Lee

I think my greatest weakness is not being able to use my left foot on the hat stand while using other cymbals instead of the hats...

I think my greatest weakness is not being able to use my left foot on the hat stand while using other cymbals instead of the hats...

h3r3tic said:

I'm not promoting this because I have the same problem playing for 35 years & never fixed it, but I will tell you to keep practicing utilizing your HH foot for timing & effect...

Although i didn't play using my HH for meter... I did play in drum corps for years & worked with a metronome hours upon hours practicing ...perfect time is in my head & I can feel it because of the time i put in with a metronome... and a Batrillion hours in the recording studio playing in perfect time.

I can also use sound, the....bap...bap...bap of the SD for my time & i know if it fluxuates...my ride or HH playing will always be solid & even & i will use that formy metronome...I will place all SD & BD patterns on or inside the HH without loosing time...

Your life as a drummer will not end or your abilities & talent will not decrease if you just don't feel that timing in your left or right HH foot to keep meter....there are ways for adjusting & compensating for it..and thats what I did to strengthen a weakenes you must focus on your strong points to compensate.

:Lee

greatest weakness... hmmm...

1) diddles sounding like crap on set
2) single pedal speed, i want that speed!!
and
3) disciplined practices... i just go off and jam, trying to do things quiker and quiker always focusing on form =\

DrummerT said:
greatest weakness... hmmm...

1) diddles sounding like crap on set
2) single pedal speed, i want that speed!!
and
3) disciplined practices... i just go off and jam, trying to do things quiker and quiker always focusing on form =\

[1] .......Oh no they don't, Funny you say that,,I can definatly help you with this one..I actually just produced a DVD with rudiments around the kit....i have a few lessons on my website so you can hear what they sound like, go to www.drumschool.net Click "Free" download lesson,,,,I also play drags, ruffs, single, double & triple paradiddles etc...around kit.....you will get an idea of how useful & distinguished rudiments can be on the kit.

[2] single pedal speed...why ???? is that so important when it's easier to use both feet for speed...no one cares how you do certain things just care that you can.....

[3] Disciplineis something you need to talk about with yourself & you decide how important it is & if you have the strength & patience to be a disciplined person

Good Luck...Lee

Left Hand
Endurance
Sight Reading
Independence
..playing the same ol beats which i was repremanded by a 8 year old neighbour about (hey it was Jazz Fusion what the hell!)

My weakness in drums are fill ins.
Yeah funny, but every time I do it, I either slowed down or just, stucked. I have problems hesitating while improvising(like what to hit, in what notes).

Maybe another one will be reading tied notes, especially when the "dashes" that tell you to roll or flam or diddles make it even more confusing.

I'd say inconsistancy between limbs.

My left hand can play weird rythems and off time all day long, but I can't do it with my right once.

My left hand can't play as fast or hard as my right.

My left foot will fall off and get back on tempo when doing double bass for extened periods of time (endurance I guess). It also isn't as strong as my right.

My right foot doesn't play quick singles, I have to rely on double bass.

My hands can keep time while my feet play different rythems but my feet can't keep time while my hands play gdifferent rythems.

Once I get rid of my current sets and get a new one I'm going to set up my vintage set in a left handed configuration so I can work on those differences.

I have a number of problems, other than I suck. But one of them is when I do fills and I mean simple ones I will hit the drums backwards ie.. I lead off with my right hand (RLRL) the second time my right hand hit say the floor tom then my left will hit the high tom. So if I start on the snare with 3 &, (snare) then 4 (floor tom) & (high tom). So am I broken? The list would go on for years, you guys have better things to do then hear them all.

Back