Things you hate to have happen while drumming

pingride said:
mine does that too, my dad suggested locktite but I'm not sure if I'd ever get it off again after.

i've been thinking it over, and you know that psuedo wingnut quick-release thing vater makes? you could replace the nut under the top hat with something similar to that if somebody made one that fit the shaft, instead of the 8mm cymbal tilter shafts

Last edited:
  • Getting fat-off blisters due to sweaty hands making you grip sticks tighter in gigs. Worse when you finally think you've finished a set, and you can bathe those blisters in cool water, but then your singer decides to make the encore 5 songs long!
  • Playing with baggy trousers, and getting the bass-drum beater up your trousers. Difficult to sort out hehe. Solution - skinny jeans lol.
  • Having to come on to play a set, then finding that the stool just won't go anywhere near high enough!
  • Practising along to a CD, and really getting into it, until your bass-drum-beating starts to make the CD player skip and jog. Grrrrr. . . .

Hitting my hand with my stick. GOD THAT HURTS! =P

I hate it when I don't find my key to tune my drum immediately :) it has no fixed place and mostly its near the basdrum on the floor, just out of my sight, just out of my reach (when i'm on the drumchear)
But yea, the number 1 is hitting your own fingers. Or worse: I hit my face twice, and one of those 2 times it was nearly in my eye......it stopped for a few minutes then...thinking i could've been blind...
And sticks flying away...well i put the spare ones straight in the "feet" of my hi hat stand so no problems there.

definitely the sticks flying outta my hands LOL

when i first started playing i had a death grip on my sticks and my teacher kept getting me to loosen my grip......well now its loose alright! lol i drop my sticks constantly, much to the great amusement of my husband (who plays guitar along side me) and makes him giggle constantly!

Beat Spector said:
Or worse: I hit my face twice, and one of those 2 times it was nearly in my eye......it stopped for a few minutes then...thinking i could've been blind...

haha i did that once while i was showing off while drunk....got very enthusiastic with the hi hat and umm well it bounced the stick right up into my forehead!

Last Sunday night my band played at a retro arcade with a decent stage. It was a good show, but I decided to not bring my rug. I assumed they had one. BIG mistake. The black painted plywood of the stage doesn't keep the drums in place (duh). I definitely know better than this, but it happened! Everything moved everytime I hit it. Every second of pause or break I was realing in all of my drums. I found out my floor toms move closer in! Bass drum beater hitting the floor tom, bass drum moving a good foot every song. Argghh, never again! It's my own fault though.

i hate when i forget to bring my snare to gigs.

it happen twice!

but i learn my lesson. but while drumming i hate when they mic the toms bad adn they get on the way.

hauk said:
i've been thinking it over, and you know that psuedo wingnut quick-release thing vater makes? you could replace the nut under the top hat with something similar to that if somebody made one that fit the shaft, instead of the 8mm cymbal tilter shafts

that's a good idea, much better my loctite which I haven't dared try yet.
I've got one of the pearl plastic cymbal clamp bits and that fits the top of my hi-hat shaft, so maybe a vater one would work, as long as the shaft went all the way through the clamp which it doesn't on my pearl one.

pingride said:
that's a good idea, much better my loctite which I haven't dared try yet.
I've got one of the pearl plastic cymbal clamp bits and that fits the top of my hi-hat shaft, so maybe a vater one would work, as long as the shaft went all the way through the clamp which it doesn't on my pearl one.

thats the problem, i'm not sure if it would... maybe i could hacksaw the top off without messing it up, if it doesnt already have a hole all the way through.. i'd have to go and check one out. or just browse the local hardware store, they might have somthing

I tried putting my normal hi-hat clamp on upsidedown which sort of worked, until I tried to get it off. It wouldn't unscrew so I had to take the stand apart. It was kind of hard to get the top hat the right height too.

I hate hitting a tom and making the ring that I have on there fly off, ohh man that sucks. Especially during a solo....ugh. What also sucks is when your cymbol stand was accidently not 100% tightened and your cymbol hold bends over and lands on your smallest tom.

Yea, kick drum moving away (when no carpet is apparent) is very annoying, as well as high hat moving, which is why mine has velcrow (spelling?) on the bottom, then again, only useful for carpet or something to stick on.

And yes, dropping sticks suck, or breaking them THE VERY DAY you got them.

oh and hitting the high hat clamp and making it unscrew sucks too, especially during a gig.

One time in concert band while playing the snare drum some kid gave me a droopy and my boxers went with them, that kinda sucked

I played a set last week in which the entire rug under the kit moved away from me with each kick hit. I actually got a little applause from the crowd because I managed to adjust the two bass pedals and the kick drum during a 4 bar guitar break on one song.

What a pain!! But, I played my ass off so go figure...

I hate it when I have to play on a shotty platform or stage that shakes. On time my whole platform started moving, as we had 9 people onstage doing the jump up and down thing.
The computer moniter tumbled, my electronics got water spilled on them, The PRS and stand went down and broke the neck, that was it. we lost money at that point.

pingride said:
I tried putting my normal hi-hat clamp on upsidedown which sort of worked, until I tried to get it off. It wouldn't unscrew so I had to take the stand apart. It was kind of hard to get the top hat the right height too.

i just tried that, it seems to be working. hopefully i'll be able to get mine off :D
i just lowered my bottom hat a ton so i had room to work, put the top hat where i wanted it, and adjusted the bottom hat from there.

I hate a lot of things that happen when drumming.

One of the msot annoying is being told to stop by winging family.

1. Dropping sticks that make you get up to get em back
2. Smacking any part of your body with a stick, the back of your hand, knees, the worst is your eyebrow thoguh, that really kills! and the crown of your nose, dont ask how I manage to hit here, not done it in ages, thank God.
3. Bass drum slowly getting away as you pound it
4. The legs of my rubbish floor tom collapsing and the tom moving to stupid positions and angles.
5. Breaking sticks, so I use carbon sticks that I havent killed yet
6. Breaking skins, usually only happens in anger after stabbing it because I injure myslef with a stick or summin daft.
7. When there is something you really want t odo jsut cannot physically do it! So frustrating
8. Neighbours threatening to break your arms if you ever play again
9. how my hi hat sometiems slowly turns untill it unscrews itself at the bottom and the pedal drops off!
10. How my seat top always becomes loose coz I shuffle about too much

Well thats 10 things I hate about drumming. Oh and that it hurts my ears, and earplugs hurt to use! :( . Most of those reason I notice are because of my actual kit, if only I could afford something very nice. Still, I love drummign all the same

Back