LUDWIG on the Travel Channel Tonight 8PM

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
The show "Made In America" on the Travel Channel features Ludwig Drums tonight at 8PM EST.

Just passing it along!

There is a Ludwig factory close to Charlotte in Monroe NC.

I see a lot of Ludwig drums that say Ludwig Monroe NC on the badge.

I've never been there but it would be cool to stop by for the tour. :)

Well, they're not Saturns of course, but what can ya do?

Really though, who'd want to read subtitles through a whole show if it was the factory where they made the Saturns?
I mean, at least these guy's speak English most of us can understand.
:)

They got Karl to narrate it I understand.

Well, they're not Saturns of course, but what can ya do?

Really though, who'd want to read subtitles through a whole show if it was the factory where they made the Saturns?
I mean, at least these guy's speak English most of us can understand.
:)
I hate to break it to you but the stuff they speak in America isn't really the greatest English. :)

I hate to break it to you but the stuff they speak in America isn't really the greatest English. :)
Yes, but they make drums all purdy 'n all, y'hear boy!

My father spent most of his life studying his own language in considerable depth. With that background, as a Brit, I'm keeping right out of this one ;)

Wish we had that channel over here. I'd like to see that program. I wonder if anyone will put it up on Youtube?

Hoping for some youtube or a torrent but I would really like to see that magic happen.

Ludwig posted some pictures on there facebook today from the filming and looks like they got it all, from the shells to the drumheads.

George gets under the hood of a Corvette in Kentucky, plays ball at Wiffle Ball in Connecticut, and enjoys a jam session with America's original drum maker, Ludwig, in North Carolina. TV-G, CC

I would have sworn Gretsch was making drums here before Ludwig???

Ludwig 1909....Gretsch 1883. so how does that quote jive with the History. Me doth protest.
I have emailed the travel channel to see where they get their info.

Last edited:
Gretsch started making instruments in NY in 1883. Don't know if they were making drums, but Gretsch started 28 years before the Ludwig company.

Ludwig first started with their original fold up pedal, and sound effects.
They developed a hydraulic action Tympani in/around 1916 and designed a spring mechanism for the Tympani.

The first Ludwig drum was a brass drum (the Tom Mills drum) WLF Sr. made after he couldn't get anyone else to do one for him. Then wood drums came into the picture.

Gretsch is still owned by Fred Gretsch 3rd, but in 2007, Kaman bought the rights to produce the drums, and do the USA Custom & Signature drums in the Ridgeland, NC facility (space leased to Kaman by FG3).

Kaman makes and distributes all the other stuff from their "Asian Based plants".....BUT, in 2008 Fender bought Kaman, and own the rights to produce Gretsch Guitars and Drums.....
The USA Gretsch plant still has most of the workers there that have been there for 10-15 years at least.

Trying to understand comment. Need clarification.
Okay, how is Canadian English not "American" given Canada's continental location?

I can tell if someone's from Chicago, New York, or New Orleans much faster than I can tell if someone's from anywhere in Canada based on speech patterns. Or were you meaning to put yourself and your countrymen in the category of Americans with English that ain't spoke good?

And why do you always follow your little digs with a cornball smiley face? You don't really think that makes the dig go away, do you?

Ludwig 1909....Gretsch 1883. so how does that quote jive with the History. Me doth protest.
I have emailed the travel channel to see where they get their info.

It's just some dope in the copy department writing stuff for the announcer.
It's "marketing" and "promotion" to get people to watch.

It doesn't matter if it's actually true, it just needs to sell papers!
Probably said by J. Johna Jameson.

Okay, how is Canadian English not "American" given Canada's continental location?

I can tell if someone's from Chicago, New York, or New Orleans much faster than I can tell if someone's from anywhere in Canada based on speech patterns. Or were you meaning to put yourself and your countrymen in the category of Americans with English that ain't spoke good?

And why do you always follow your little digs with a cornball smiley face? You don't really think that makes the dig go away, do you?

I live a reasonable driving distance from Windsor, Canada, and the accent is identifiable to me.
The words "about" & "dollar" are big give aways. So are "smokes" "Molson" and "soda" haha! You can thank Canada for you Tim Horton's coffee in the morning.

Relatives from Leamington have slight accents too.

I live a reasonable driving distance from Windsor, Canada, and the accent is identifiable to me.
I'm not saying I can't hear a difference - I'm less than a 100 miles from the border, myself. All I'm saying is that I think Canadian English has a lot more in common with US English than it does to any other nation of the Commonwealth. It's not even more distinct than some areas within the US.

Back