What's with Zildjian hate??

Migaluch

Lately its been pretty clear to me that a lot of people (at least online) hate (or just don't prefer) Zildjian and love other cymbal manufacturers, especially Sabian. Being a new drummer, i can't say i am familiar with all of these companies' sounds, but i heavily favor Sabian's products. It seems that no one really gives Zildjian a lot of praise from what i have seen (though the Ks are liked a lot). Isn't Zildjian the original company, or at least the main one? And what about not so popularized brands, are they any good? What are the truths in the world of cymbals? Let a new drummer learn.

I've probably got it all wrong, but hey!

If they've been slagged off, it wasn't from me mate. I've always been a big fan and can't see that changing anytime soon. That said, I haven't purchased one for some years now.....I'm on a used Paiste Sig. vibe at present. But the Zil's will continue on my journey with me no matter what.

I don't think it's so much "hate", but the fact that SABIAN makes cymbals that appeal to a lot of people and their sound. And now companies like Bosphorus and Istanbul are catching to catch on in situations other than jazz. Maybe it's just a shift of things to come, always happens, always will.

Over the last 8 years I've endorsed Zildjian and they are a wonderful company, maintaining a family vibe and manufacturing world-class cymbals. Producers always compliment me on my cymbals and I've always been able to assemble the perfect set-up for any live gig.

I've heard many great cymbals over the years but Zildjian has always sounded the best to me.

If i could be a little more clear, perhaps it's not so much that people hate Zildjian, but it is the brand that receives the most criticism, if that helps.

Who hates Zildjian?

If you browse though all the photos posted around here, there are plenty of people with Zildjian set ups.

All my cymbals are Zildjian.

I love my Zildjian Hybrid K's.
I like Agop Traditional and Sultans also.
I like Zildjians equally to Istanbull's!
I also like Paiste 2oo2's

Different pies for different moods, music, and sounds.
That's how I select my cymbals for a gig.

Zildjian is up on the top of my list!

As a matter of fact I like cymbals from all manufacturers!
It's just that I have a limited budget. I can't buy all of the cymbals that I like.

It's not that they are bad cymbals. I just think other companies have done a better job at marketing and listening to what drummers want. There are quite a few companies out there making some really good pies for less. Ofcourse, the sound is subjective from one drummer to the next. I have been playing Zildjian for over 25years and will always have Zildjian pies. They have served me well. I am currently looking at a new set of cymbals from other companies because the options are greater and fit my specific use more favorably.

When all is said and done, YOU pick what sounds great to YOUR ears and roll with them.

I think the better question is, why do some people become brand obsessed? Even to the point of disliking other brands. It seems a strange thing to do. At least to me.

Take this for an example. A background first. Years ago I toured with a Paiste set up, 2002's and 602's. I owned Zildjians and Sabians but liked touring with my Paistes because the overheads liked them and they went through the desk beautifully. This was about 20 years ago.

A friend of mine and part time amatuer drummer recently discovered Paiste about 6 months ago. Ever since it has been Paiste this, Paiste that. He insists on talking to this old warhorse about this amazing new discovery. My attitude is "Been there, done that." It is no big deal.

This drummer knows about my experience with Paiste. I've told him time and time again "Yes I know Paiste. I've owned many. Great cymbals." But still it is Paiste this, Paiste that. One day I got a bit tired of it and as a joke told him to sell his Paiste rubbish and buy some old K's. Laughingly. It was a joke.

Result? He got really upset and went in to bat for Paiste. Mind you, I have owned probably 30 Paistes over my career. He owns 4. I had to take him to task and explain that I already knew about Paiste and had told him so many many many times.

It was a pain.

My thoughts are, if you do not own shares in a company, why care so much?

My latest purchase was a little 6" Ufip splash. I own cymbals by many brands. To me they are sounds to utilise. Not blood for my veins.

All the cymbal manufacturers make great sounding cymbals, but a good sounding cymbal is subjective, isn't it?

I think your question is ludicrous. People online don't give Zildjian a lot of praise? Who exactely? Come on, don't be so gullible. If you want inane opinions based on nothing, go to youtube and read the comment section. When you read comments, no matter how ridiculous they are, do you accept them as the truth? Please.

So you prefer Sabian. Great, play Sabian then. Is that what you really wanted to say? How great Sabian is? Then you add, (and I'm paraphrasing) "Why does everybody think Zildjian cymbals sound shitty? Aren't they suppose to sound good???"

I would have respected you more if you said "I tried a bunch of Zildjians out and I hated all of them....and this is why............"

Do yourself a favor...try all the cymbal mfg's out if you can. Go to the store, grab a stick, and start hitting them. Listen to live band and pay attention to what the drummer is hitting. Go to the cymbal manufacturers website and listen to the sound bites of their product. Hell, go to youtube (DON'T read the comments for the love of god) and listen to cymbals. Then, form your OWN opinion, figure out what you like. Don't listen to me, or your friend, or Johnny Snotnose kid and believe what THEY hear is good. What do YOU think is good? There is a lot of resources out there, use them.

No hate here either. I'd not owned a Zildjian since 1975. Not for any reason but I bought what my ear and purse liked at the time. Recently I bought my first Zildjian - a ride - and I love it!

I don't care about brands, only sounds and applications. I have a gorgeous Paiste 2002 crash put aside at the moment because my Zildjian and Meinl suit my band and setup better at the moment.

I think Zildjians are much loved by many drummers. I'd say that, based on what I read here, the K customs are more loved than our old teddy bears.

However, since Zildjian's quality varies so much from cymbal to cymbal, you're bound to find some bad ones. Also, their budget range is pretty ordinary (as you'd expect). That's probably where any bagging comes from.

I have played Zildjians for nearly 25 years, along with other brands, and I have no hate for them. I don't think they're as innovative a company as they used to be; I think Sabian is far and away more innovative. They certainly can't make anything I consider to be a decent-sounding China, but then again, neither can I stand 98% of Sabian or Paiste's Chinas (with one exception being the 19" Paragon). I may change my preference one day to another company's stuff, but I certainly don't hate on Zildjian, else I wouldn't have played them for this long.

Go in IT websites and you'll say the same about Microsoft..........go on Football (Soccer) sites and you'll say the same about Man Utd

Everyone likes to knock people at the top

I personally use Paiste now but Zildjian are awesome.........I have just never found a Zildjian Ride I like.................apart from that superb.

Zildjian K Customs (varied pick), Paiste 2002s, Paiste Signatures, Sabian HHX (regular and Evolution)... all are great. Even Zildjian A Customs, depending on the situation. All you're going to hear are preferences for certain brands. Anyone who says they HATE a certain brand or would NEVER EVER buy from a certain brand are clearly immature or inexperienced.

Lately its been pretty clear to me that a lot of people (at least online) hate (or just don't prefer) Zildjian and love other cymbal manufacturers, especially Sabian. Being a new drummer, i can't say i am familiar with all of these companies' sounds, but i heavily favor Sabian's products. It seems that no one really gives Zildjian a lot of praise from what i have seen (though the Ks are liked a lot). Isn't Zildjian the original company, or at least the main one? And what about not so popularized brands, are they any good? What are the truths in the world of cymbals? Let a new drummer learn.

I've probably got it all wrong, but hey!

The Sabian over Zildjian vibe started when Robert Zildjian and his brother Armand had a fight over the direction of the company, soon after the death of their father. Robert left Zildjian to form Sabian. The companies continue to be rivals.

I think the better question is, why do some people become brand obsessed? Even to the point of disliking other brands. It seems a strange thing to do. At least to me.

Take this for an example. A background first. Years ago I toured with a Paiste set up, 2002's and 602's. I owned Zildjians and Sabians but liked touring with my Paistes because the overheads liked them and they went through the desk beautifully. This was about 20 years ago.

A friend of mine and part time amatuer drummer recently discovered Paiste about 6 months ago. Ever since it has been Paiste this, Paiste that. He insists on talking to this old warhorse about this amazing new discovery. My attitude is "Been there, done that." It is no big deal.

This drummer knows about my experience with Paiste. I've told him time and time again "Yes I know Paiste. I've owned many. Great cymbals." But still it is Paiste this, Paiste that. One day I got a bit tired of it and as a joke told him to sell his Paiste rubbish and buy some old K's. Laughingly. It was a joke.

Result? He got really upset and went in to bat for Paiste. Mind you, I have owned probably 30 Paistes over my career. He owns 4. I had to take him to task and explain that I already knew about Paiste and had told him so many many many times.

It was a pain.

My thoughts are, if you do not own shares in a company, why care so much?

My latest purchase was a little 6" Ufip splash. I own cymbals by many brands. To me they are sounds to utilise. Not blood for my veins.
Great to hear your example story Wy, but even better to see a post from you. Miss your wizdom.

Always, make your own mind up. Grab a pair of sticks, head to the music store and bang on a few cymbals.

Personally I prefer Zildjian crashes, compared with my Sabian Crashes (AAX) they seem easier to open up and blend better. The AAX are either retired or have been sold. Just the way things go.

Back