gig kit.

baz

Silver Member
...I have been Jammimg with a really good bunch of people over the past few months.

Last night we did our first show, a fundraiser for the Christmas Hamper fund. It felt real good to play with good people in front of a good crowd once again.

It is an older grey ponytail crowd, with heavy honkytonk/country/gospell/classic rock roots, a nice laid back, low volume vibe. I have a ton of different cymbals, so naturally I have to overcomplicate things by mixing and matching to try and put together that perfect gig set up.

I had been doing the same with my drums and snare, trying to find that perfect versatile kit that would work for high or low volume, stick and brush smacking.

This is what I settled on.

These are my WMP 18x16, 15x13, 13x9, 14x6" edge snare. For cymbals, I go with MY faves wich include the 20" Manhattan, 18" el savbor, 17" hhxtreme, 16" thin, and 14" dark hats.

It's kind of funny in a way, I have a ton of stuff but I use very little of it. I see a downsizing in my future.

Barry

Last edited:
A very clean machine you have there.

A very clean machine you have there.

Oh yeah. I'd love to gig with a kit like that. Versatile setup and smaller sizes to keep from throwing your back out. Nice stuff.

...thanks guys.

I refer to this set up as a jazz kit on steroids. I really like the added warmth that I get using the 13 and 15 as opposed to the poppier sound from the 12 and 14. I played the entire evening using a pair of Ed Thigpen brushes, taped about half way up for that little extra thwack.

The evening went very well, and was a lot of fun. I can't wait to do this again.

Barry

...Namaste, and thank you aydee.

Music is like sex. You spend half your time thinking about it, the other half talking about it, and you can do it solo, but it is much more fun with others.

The guys that I played with have been together since the days of the eight track and vinyl.
Their regular drummer just recently lost a leg due to disease, so until he is ready to resume the throne, I am his stand in, (bad choice of words I know).

I have been jamming with these guys for a couple of months now in a place called Kingman. It is a small rural farm town, and we jam in an old two room school house that has been converted into a tea house and museum. It is an open jam which has been tittled "Open Stage for the Middle Aged" and it attracts quite a diverse crowd. It was my darling Wife that turned me on to it as one of the nurses that she works with has been going there for years.

This is definatly a "My" kind of thing.

Barry

Music is like sex. You spend half your time thinking about it, the other half talking about it, and you can do it solo, but it is much more fun with others....

It is an open jam which has been titled "Open Stage for the Middle Aged" and it attracts quite a diverse crowd.
Barry

You've got a real comfy "menage a sextet " going, there. Good for you.

Looks like I'm eligible for the "Open Stage..". maybe I'll grow a mustache that can keep me warm and venture way up north where you are one of these days...

That looks very classy, must have been loads of fun. Would love to see some more pictures of that kit.

Oh, and let me tell you I admire your moustache, seriously.

That looks very classy, must have been loads of fun. Would love to see some more pictures of that kit.

Oh, and let me tell you I admire your moustache, seriously.

...ask and yee shall recieve.

This is my tiger ash kit.

I swapped the brass hardware from this kit to the aforementioned steroid kit, as I am selling these. I had to do some more switching with the bass drum spurs as the ones on the 18" are longer than those on the 20". I like a little more lift on the 18 as it makes it easier to set my pedal.

I also added the rail mount and cymbal arm on the 18 as shown here with the 12 and 14" toms.

These are "MY" drums. 24x16, 16x16, 14x14, 12x8, 14x6 maple snare.

I will have to take some current pics as I have been tinkering with these.

Also Tom, thank you for the compliment regarding the moustache. It is out of compliance with my companies facial hair policy, and I am expecting a reprimand. Untill then, I will continue to let it grow.

Barry

Last edited:
Georgeous kits. I am such a sucker for wmp kits. At one point I had three.

Do you ever combine the "MY" drums with the gig kit to have two BDs 24 and 18 and then all the toms?

I only drag a 4 piece out when I play but I love setting up my 9 piece and a bunch of cymbals when I want to create a playground at home.

Georgeous kits. I am such a sucker for wmp kits. At one point I had three.

Do you ever combine the "MY" drums with the gig kit to have two BDs 24 and 18 and then all the toms?

I only drag a 4 piece out when I play but I love setting up my 9 piece and a bunch of cymbals when I want to create a playground at home.

...I have thought about it but I have never combined the two.

I am such a lame ass on a double pedal that I know the frustration due to suckiness would make the effort of setting up the double pumper multi monster more work than it would be worth.

Maybe I will set up to take some pictures.

WMP has always been my favorite finish. I like wraps for their classic timeless quality. When I dig deep into my earliest musical memories, all of my favorite drummers played on wrapped kits. I also prefer the tom mount bolted directly to the shell. I may lose some resonance by doing this, but I have not noticed any detrimental effect this has on my toms sound. It will probably effect the resail price if anything.

Once again guys, thank you for all of your replies. I had been itching to post about this jam thing but I had to wait untill I knew that it was not just a one off. I have played with a few other guys that were not worth mentioning for one reason or another. I think that I have found a real good thing with these guys and gals.

Barry

Hey Barry,
The gig kit looks great! I really like the cymbal selection you came up with. But, I really love the sizes of drums of your bigger WMP kit. BTW, what are you asking for that tiger ash kit?

Greg

I know what you mean about playing double bass drums. I'm definitely not a natural at it.

I found that the best way to start is with playing small triples or quad ruffs at the end of a bar when riding. Also at the close of songs a live double bass flourish that is even and mixed with your normal tom and cymbal flourishes builds confidence.

Then you can work on easy 4/4 and triplety exercises while grooving.

The metal bass drum runs seem impossible to me but it's probably because I'm lazy and old school in the way I like to play drums.

I was mostly interested in seeing the big and small drums and all those beautiful toms set up in one shot. If you end up bored enough to set it all up, take a picture and post.

The WMPs are beautiful and I was just being greedy with the setup request.

Cheers

Hey Barry,
The gig kit looks great! I really like the cymbal selection you came up with. But, I really love the sizes of drums of your bigger WMP kit. BTW, what are you asking for that tiger ash kit? Greg

...Hola Greg.

I have the tigers in a shop right now. I want $2,000.00 out of them. I am leaving them there untill the end of January in the hopes that some moneyd up rig worker falls in love with them and buys them before he heads back to Frostbite Falls, or some other northern extreme. I am going to sell my black oyster kit and I might donate my franken kit to my sons junior high school. I am looking at de cluttering.

I am liking that five piece more and more. I have been a diehard four by four for so long that I never thought I could change. The 24, 16, 13 has been my comfort zone, for the past three years but I am feeling more comfortable on the 24, 12, 14, 16. The 18, 15, 13 sounds really good and has a nice feel. They are also perfect for the room where we jam.

When I first started jamming with these guys, I went on a hunt for some used cymbals. I thought that my faves might not be quite right, but they are perfect. They are my favorites for a reason, and it is not good to mess with something that works.

TTNW.

Thank you for the advice regarding double bass technique, but I am afraid that it is wasted on me. I have a double pedal which does nothing but serve as a lesson in humility. I lent it to my daughers boyfriend as he has more use for it than I do. I don't think that I will use much double pedal or double bass, unless I am going for laughs. Over the Christmas break I will set up all of my WMP drums for some pics.

Barry.

Back