Best recorded bass drum - Radar Love, All of my Love or ?

imispgh

Golden Earring's Radar Love has an extremely good sounding and well recorded bass drum. Any agree? Anyone know what they used and how they did that?

I think Zeppelin's All of my Love is number 2.

Anyone think there are better ones?

Anything on ITTOD from Zep is great.

If any of you have the drum only tracks that are out there, you know what I am talking about.

I listen to those tracks, drums only, at least 1 time a week!!!!

Great bass drum sound. But, yes, All My Love is insane!!!!!!!

Mike

The new Cold War Kids album, Loyalty to Loyalty has probably my favourite recorded drum sound as of late. The whole album is done on vintage gear without ever touching a computer.
Clutch's From Beale Street To Oblivion is killer too.

How about Living Colour's "Cult of Personality" Will Calhoun I believe is the drummer. His drum sound is insane on that record. Also "Some like it Hot" by Powerstation Tony Thompson drummer great examples of 80's over the top production.

'Too Young to Fall in Love' by MC. I'm not a huge fan of the band but Tommy Lee's groove and drum sound are huge on that tune.

'Too Young to Fall in Love' by MC. I'm not a huge fan of the band but Tommy Lee's groove and drum sound are huge on that tune.

I like the sound of TL's sound on that song, as well as Dr Feelgood. Arron Commess on the Spin Dr's first release has a really nice Sound as well. And yes, Bonzo's kick on the opening post of this thread is killer.

Zeppelin is one of my favorite bands, but i wouldnt agree on the song choice because you can hear the pedal squeeking!!!!its sooo annoying!!!

Lots of favorite sounds... mostly from the sixties though, well before processing and hyper-sounds became the norm. Face it - drums just don't sound like that in person.

Two fave kick sounds come to mind... Charlie Watts on "Honky Tonk Woman" and whoever played on the "Goldfinger" theme sung by Shirley Bassey (excerpt) That one's a particularly nice, sweet, oomphy sound, played with a great touch.

I like plenty of more modern sounds, but they're mostly attrributed to processing, not the drummer or the drum itself. I'm still a purist, as much as that's possible these days.

Bermuda

How about Steely Dan's " Green Earrings" ?

Right on! Bernard Purdie funks it up on that track. Also. . . Jim Gordon got a nice THUMP of a bass drum sound on the records he made with Michael Viner's Incredible Bongo Band in the 1970's. He and King Erisson (the bongo player) are so incredibly tight, they sound like one musician. It's obscure music, but definitely worth checking out.

Lots of favorite sounds... mostly from the sixties though, well before processing and hyper-sounds became the norm. Face it - drums just don't sound like that in person.

Two fave kick sounds come to mind... Charlie Watts on "Honky Tonk Woman" and whoever played on the "Goldfinger" theme sung by Shirley Bassey (excerpt) That one's a particularly nice, sweet, oomphy sound, played with a great touch.

I like plenty of more modern sounds, but they're mostly attrributed to processing, not the drummer or the drum itself. I'm still a purist, as much as that's possible these days.

Bermuda

Like wise, I have always liked the sound of the mini solo in Take Five, that is a nice round and authoritative Bass Bomb. I also like the sound of Collins bass work from "Selling England by the Pound" Title track, right near the end.

Back