Drumming footwear

My preferred footwear for drumming:

hobbit_feet1.jpg

Usually Doc Martin Gibsons or dress shoes. Doesn't seem to matter to me as I adjust quickly to whatever.

Some Asics running shoes. Doesnt really matter though, since I play my electric kit with socks, and it's almost the same(a bit more slippery).

I'll play in anything. Usually Converse (yep....Chuck's as well.....love my hightops!). But I've also played in Doc's, other boots, sneakers, barefoot and leather dress shoes if I've had to wear a suit.

My preferance is for thinner soled shoes, like Converse. But I can wear anything.............except flip flops (thongs for us Aussies!!).

Skate type shoes mostly, because that's what I wear most of the time. A pair of outdoors/trekking shoes if there's snow or heavy rain, because that's what I wear for that kind of weather.

Another one for Chucks. I'm sure if I practiced in different shoes I could get used to drumming in them, but that hasn't happened yet. I do socks too, maybe more often than Converse now that I think about it.

My band went through a phase where we would all wear just socks onstage, because most of the instruments had a pedal of some kind. Effects, sustain, bass drum, hi hat, etc :p

Try playing in heels. I did it a few times at a restaurant gig I had back in the Paleozoic Era. Only two inches from memory, and wide, but they still ensure that you don't overplay ...

Agreed... always have, always will. Just cant play in any type of shoe. But if something that works for me comes along, I d be happy to give it a try!

I've got pretty flat feet so I guess that's one reason I find it comfortable, I also don't play incredibly fast generally but a drummer who does do double kicks and blasts that plays relatively quickly (140-180bpm, not intense death metal fast) is Roy Mayorga.

Depends where im playing

If it's just in the house on nice carpet then i'll just use socks

If it's outside house then i use hi-top all stars, i find they give just the right amount of ankle support and flexibility in the foot that i need :]

barefoot for me. I'll wear shoes if I'm playing some sort of formal gig, but other than that it's barefoot.

Thanks to searching some old threads around here, I found these Addias Samba indoor soccer shoes that are flat, flexible and very comfortable. My feet are too wide for the various racing shoes. Great for anything other than a full formal tux gig.

I used to play wearing only socks, but about one year ago I switched to playing in some old skate shoes I used to wear during riding my BMX. Flat, feather-weight. They improved my double-bass speed a great deal ;)

Chuck Taylor low's work better for me than any other shoe for drumming. I'll die if they ever stop making them.

Back