My 1976 Acrolite and Gig pics

wsabol

Gold Member
Just got this Acrolite off eBay about two weeks ago. Its a gorgeous sounding snare drum. I love it. It is in pretty good shape, and I got a really good price on it. After a polish and new heads, I couldn't be happier with it. Well, the strainer slips, so I'll probably get a new P-85 or something to replace this old one. But yea, really happy!

This gig was for a country band that hired me through some mutual friends. It was pretty fun. Things got crazy and we starting throwing in some Led Zeppelin tunes in the middle of the country gig, haha, but oh well. Oh yea, it was also at an Italian Restaurant, not strange at all.

Anyway, this is my 12-16-22 kit. 14" Vintage New Beats, 18" 50's A Crash, 22" K Custom Medium Ride, 16" A Custom Crash. Yamaha flying dragon pedal.

Attachments

• IMAG0185.jpg
    IMAG0185.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 362
  • IMAG0186.jpg
    IMAG0186.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 354
  • IMAG0187.jpg
    IMAG0187.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 353
That is one nice kit, what I call a 4x4, four drums, four cymbals. That configuration is what I most always play. Peace, goodwill, and blues.

Great looking kit. My Acrolite is about the same age. I bought it in much worse condition though...

Yours looks great with the kit.

Is there a reasoning behind using the single braced snare stand for your mounted tom and the double braced stand for your snare drum? I've always done it the other way around..

Thanks for the kind words guys. Yea, 4x4 is my preferred config.

The stand thing.. That double braced snare stand is a Percussion Plus crappola stand. It hardly holds up my snare when its miced, so it wouldn't stand with that tom and the tilt. Plus it doesn't have the physical range to get to the height I need it. The stand I'm using for the tom is a Yamaha medium weight SS740. Its great. It has all the strength I need. I'm not a hard hitter most of the time, and I don't want to have to carry the extra weight of a quality double braced snare stand, so this is perfect for me. I just ordered another SS740 from guitar center, so I can get rid of that Percussion Plus POS for good.

Thanks for the kind words guys. Yea, 4x4 is my preferred config.

The stand thing.. That double braced snare stand is a Percussion Plus crappola stand. It hardly holds up my snare when its miced, so it wouldn't stand with that tom and the tilt. Plus it doesn't have the physical range to get to the height I need it. The stand I'm using for the tom is a Yamaha medium weight SS740. Its great. It has all the strength I need. I'm not a hard hitter most of the time, and I don't want to have to carry the extra weight of a quality double braced snare stand, so this is perfect for me. I just ordered another SS740 from guitar center, so I can get rid of that Percussion Plus POS for good.

Oh, well then I completely understand. That's what I was getting at, because usually the double braced is more sturdy and modular, but in your case, this is the much better option.

Congrats on the new Acrolite - I just picked one up too - a '71 in perfect shape. Cool you got to use it at the gig - great set up...

Back