has an animal ever tried to attack you while gigging?

Oh yes, my now (locally) famous battle with a wasp. I think I've told this one on here before.

Bike rally stage, I'm 20 seconds into a number, & the little b&^%d starts flying around my face. I try some swiping in with the groove, but to no avail. By now, the audience has noticed (I was told I came out with more classic than usual drummer faces). Anyhow, the bugger then ands on my right cheek & ear. I'm doing the usual pathetically trying to blow the damn thing off with via weird mouth shapes. It flew off my face of it's own accord. Right, now I've got some cymbal work coming up, so it's payback time. The audience is now laughing at my antics & the band has noticed too! My choice of cymbal & sequence was certainly quirky, as I was trying to hit the little t%$t with my sticks. Alas, I failed, but gave everyone a good laugh at my expense, & I didn't miss a beat!! :)

Oh yes, my now (locally) famous battle with a wasp. I think I've told this one on here before.

Bike rally stage, I'm 20 seconds into a number, & the little b&^%d starts flying around my face. I try some swiping in with the groove, but to no avail. By now, the audience has noticed (I was told I came out with more classic than usual drummer faces). Anyhow, the bugger then ands on my right cheek & ear. I'm doing the usual pathetically trying to blow the damn thing off with via weird mouth shapes. It flew off my face of it's own accord. Right, now I've got some cymbal work coming up, so it's payback time. The audience is now laughing at my antics & the band has noticed too! My choice of cymbal & sequence was certainly quirky, as I was trying to hit the little t%$t with my sticks. Alas, I failed, but gave everyone a good laugh at my expense, & I didn't miss a beat!! :)

Pretty funny story. Where's the Zoom when you need it? You tried blowing a wasp? Weird mouth shapes? Oh dear...

Uhmmmmmm.......yes?!?!? And evidently I liked it and kept him around. :)

The red headed, double breasted, bed laying, sap sucker bird.....(tasteless joke- sorry)

I too have shared that experience- it's not very pleasant, is it? To be fair, the chaps at the front take the brunt of the usual pack of punterus inebicatus uncoordinatium, with beer and other substances regularly being poured over their pedals etc. Its the " my mates a drummer, can he have a go on your kit" ones that you really need to watch. I find the word no, or asking for a £4000 deposit usually does the trick on that one.

Actually never happened to me but I couldnt resist the tastelessness of the joke. My 6 year old daughter sometimes hits me with things when I play to make me stop...

No animal has been gigging when it attacked me, no.

A couple of years (?) ago I had a Christmas beetle land on my snare drum. Fortunately, that was between songs ...

Well done holding it together while dealing with the wasp, Andy. A bit like having a large spider appear on the dashboard when you're on a freeway.

Never been attacked before but many moons ago when I first started playing, my bands "music" once drove a possum to attempt suicide (and for once I'm not joking).

Never been attacked before but many moons ago when I first started playing, my bands "music" once drove a possum to attempt suicide (and for once I'm not joking).

What did it do?? I am fascinated.

What did it do?? I am fascinated.
Well Madge, we were playing in one of those massive sheds built to accommodate cane harvesters. After a few songs this poor possum decides its had enough and launches itself from the highest point of the triangular roof (I still remember everyone stopping mid-song to watch this thing fly through the air).
It landed hard and just laid there, but after awhile it recovered and scampered off into the bush (my mates father was grateful for driving possums out of his shed but it wasn't our intention)!

In the early 80's I was playing an outdoor biker event for a local motorcycle gang (The Breed) and a human animal tossed a lit M-80 center stage. It went off, startled the crap outta me. Luckily no one got hurt. I think that qualifies.

That guy got the holy f#@!% beaten out of him by his chosen bretheren. Good times man.

Well Madge, we were playing in one of those massive sheds built to accommodate cane harvesters. After a few songs this poor possum decides its had enough and launches itself from the highest point of the triangular roof (I still remember everyone stopping mid-song to watch this thing fly through the air).
It landed hard and just laid there, but after awhile it recovered and scampered off into the bush (my mates father was grateful for driving possums out of his shed but it wasn't our intention)!

Aww, poor little thing :(

I wonder if it would work with badgers ...

Kind of like St. Patrick only with possums instead of snakes....maybe we should start calling you St. Todd....

I've never been attacked, but one of our cats will lay by my feet when I'm working on the practice pad.

Not attacked but my border collie barks at me angrily when I play my E Drums...

I think she just hates E Drums

I've never been attacked, but one of our cats will lay by my feet when I'm working on the practice pad.

My most neurotic cat (basket-case neurotic) isn't remotely bothered when I play. The relatively normal other ones head for the hills, although I have a rather cute, if blurred, photo of Oswald "il Bastardo" inside my bass drum. It was taken before I started to play, of course; the photo of him leaving is even more blurred.

I've never yet been attacked by an animal whilst playing, but we used to have canaries and they would sing their little heads off whenever I drummed. I was never able to work out whether they were showing their appreciation, or trying to drown out the racket.

Back