Most heinously overrated drummer / band. Come on Man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gah, dragged back in!

Put a guitarist in front of me for 30 sec and I will tell you what skill level they are at....same with a drummer...so it is very discernible. As a player gets more advanced, they may be skilled at execution but have a smaller vocabulary of licks, fills motifs, rhythms...and this is another objective way one can determine the skill level of a player.

I'd say that's an extremely one-sided and simplistic way to judge skills. It's also impossible to actually do unless you know the actual circumstances surrounding the piece(s) of music you base your opinion on.

How about their ability to play what's right for the music, to lock in and musically communicate with the other players in the band? How would you quantify that?
What about their compositional skills? Do we know who wrote the drum parts they're playing? Are they just playing parts someone else wrote for them or did they actually write their own parts?
Can they read charts, or did they learn the tracks by ear?
Did they record those songs in one take, or did they have to be punched in every two bars because they kept screwing up?
Have they been told to simplify their playing by a producer and/or band leader, which means they're not playing to their "maximum ability"?

Sure, there are thousands of drummers who could outplay any of the drummers mentioned in this thread, but so what? Being a good drummer is about much more than chops and technical skills, right? Right? There are so many skills that go into playing the right thing for the right band and the right piece of music. Pure technical chops are just one of them, and even they are useless if a player knows when to restrain himself.

Popularity is obvious...is Michael Giles popular? How about Cee Lo green? How about Willie Wilcox? Travis Barker?
Way to drag out some obvious examples there. Cee Lo Green is obviously popular, and Travis Barker is probably one of the most well-known drummers in the world. I have no idea who the other two guys are. Are they actually popular, or were they examples of non-popular people?

So how would you base popularity of a random drummer from the Drummerworld front page? Sure, you may have heard of him, but does that mean that most other people have? What if you have never heard his name before; does that mean he's virtually unknown?

I have a number of drummers and artists I think are massively overrated, but that doesn't mean that I think my opinion has any objective merit. Sure, there are a few extremely lucky guys out there, but most famous people have worked their hands to the bone to get to where they are now, so I can at least respect them for that even if I think the end result sounds horrendous.

Dave Grohl? He'd be the first to tell you he's not a technically skilled drummer at all. But he's been working, touring, writing, recording, gigging and playing non-stop for the last 25 years to get to where he is now. He has a level of dedication to music that extremely few people here can match. Maybe he's overrated as a drummer, but I'd say that 95% of his popularity is due to his total body of work, not because he's played drums on a few Nirvana songs. In fact, I can't remember ever hearing much about him when he was in Nirvana; it's only after he made it big with Foo Fighters that people really started talking about his playing with Nirvana.

...man, why am I still typing?

This is not going to be popular, but to me the most over rated drummer is Keith Moon. There are several songs by the Who which I greatly enjoy, but the fact is Keith did not have a clue as to what he was doing half the time. He could not possibly play a song the same way twice. He took the drums and the money they were making him so he could buy hotels and trash them for granted. He never practiced, never tried to learn anything new, frankly he was a self-indulgent little brat. When Townsend wanted to get the band together to record or tour they had to hunt Keith down, half way sober him up and put him behind a kit for days playing the simplest songs around because he had forgotten to play the drums.

This post is really going to make me some friends, but this is straight up how I feel. The talent he had, which could have been enormous, should have been given to someone who would have not taken it for granted!

I think it's very popular, amongst non-drummers especially, to coyly shout "Keith Moon" in response to any question about 'greatest drummer'.It just seems to be 'the name' people know. The kind of people who would probably never have heard of Neil Peart, or Abe Labariel Jr, or Alan White, Dave Grohl, John Bonham, Buddy Rich....basically people who know two drummers, Moon and Starr and "Moon was the best....err...wasn't he....huh....cos Ringo was rubbish"

For the record I am, and have always been, on your side here and pretty much agree with everything you've written above.

I find his drumming messy.

The live videos I've watched...he seems like that 12 year old kid who clearly has talent but is a bit bored and just decides to whack and thrash about. I know this particular aspect of his drumming drove his other band-members, especially Townsend, insane.

Sorry...not a big fan. Don't quite 'get it' if I'm honest.

Come on guys, leave portnoy alone.

John Bonham and freaking Led Zeppelin.

Seriously.

I'm going to run for the hills now.

Hahaha yes and get in a bunker to !!!

Travis Becker, Niels Peert, Johnny Jordanson, Donny Bo'ham, Dingo Sparr, Stewie Gradd and not forgetting Dave Drool.

Music either moves me in some way or it doesn't. Everything else is irrelevant.

John Robinson is one of the greatest studio drummers that has ever lived. He's played on more hits than anyone. He also has very little "stick chops" compared to many Berklee grads or drum corps kids.

The drum corps kids might call him over-rated because he can't shred paradiddles at 230 but people like Barbra Streisand and Quincy Jones call him the hit maker.

I find negativity overrated. As are most threads of this nature

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back