Ludwig Classic Maples

A

audiotech

My Ludwig Classic Maple drums in "white marine pearl" are almost complete. This past Saturday I picked-up the 13" and 16" toms with only a two week wait on the 13 and four weeks on the 16. I waited the longest for the matching snare which took five weeks to get to me. Compared to most other drum companies wait times, this was just a drop in the bucket. The only other drum I'm probably going to get is the 10" x 7" rack tom. I always wanted to play a 10, 13 and 16. I probably won't be using the 10" rack tom at the same time as the 12", but this being a working modular shell pack, I guess anything and everything is possible.

The hoops on the drums are 2.3mm triple flange. The rack toms have Ludwig's Vibraband suspension mounts. The lugs are Mini-Classic. The floor toms have Keystone brackets installed. The bass drum has Elite bass drum spurs and the badges are Keystone. The snare drum's throw-off is the P-86 Millennium. The heads on the kit are all Ludwig "medium" weight heads with clear resonant and coated batters, these heads have got to go, lol. I'll be using Evans G1 coated over G1 clear.

Bass drum 20 x 16
Floor tom 16 x 16
Floor tom 14 x 14
Rack tom 13 x 9
Rack tom 12 x 8
Snare 14 x 5

DSC_0153.jpg

DSC_0209-3.jpg

DSC_0316.jpg

DSC_0245-2.jpg

DSC_0111.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Dennis

Sorry Dennis I wasn't looking. I was staring ogling and drooling. White pearl is the most classic look and I assume the bass drum head logo is offered as the classic look. All I can say is Home run. Sitting next to my same Gretsch kit, I am really bending.

Thanks for sharing.
Johnny

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Just awesome!! The bigger it gets, the more I like it for some reason. Out of the 3 or 4 thousand kits you own....that one is by far my favourite. The WMP looks fabulous....and Keystone badges too, no less.....far more appealing to me than the B/O badges. I reckon the old man would be right proud mate. ;-)

Those are beautiful! WMP is a great, classic wrap. Ludwig is the king of wraps, IMO. Other makers might be better at lacquers and bursts but with wraps, it's hard to beat Ludwig.

Great kit!

Thank you everyone for your nice comments, they're really appreciated. And Pfog, yes my dad would have just picked his favorite three drums of the bunch and made music with them. Someday, with a lot more work, I'll be half the drummer he was.

Dennis

With my 10" x 7" rack tom arriving about two weeks ago, my Ludwig Classic Maple kit in "white marine pearl" is just about finished now. The configuration as pictured is,

10 x 7 rack tom
12 x 8 rack tom
13 x 9 rack tom
14 x 14 floor tom
16 x 16 floor tom
20 x 16 bass drum
14 x 5 snare drum

DSC_0429.jpg

DSC_0434.jpg

DSC_0503.jpg

DSC_0507.jpg

DSC_0552.jpg

This makes a great shell bank arrangement where I can mix and match. I was just toying with the 10, 13 and 16 toms and the combination sounded very wide with a lot of depth. There possibly could be one other drum down the road, but I'm not quite sure just yet.

Dennis

.....my Ludwig Classic Maple kit in "white marine pearl" is just about finished now.......

I've said it before and I'll say it again......I luuuurve that kit mate!!

I'm just wondering though Dennis, I think there's a distinct possibility you need to add a 24" bass drum too?

I mean, can you really call yourself a "mixer and matcher" with nothing but a puny little 20" kick? What the hell are you gonna do when you wanna call down the thunder from on high?.......go to your bubinga instead??.......please!!

Nup....the nation of Oz has collectively decided my friend (under my biased and single minded directive, of course).......you need some bottom end just in case!! After all, "fat bottomed girls they make the rockin' go round"....and that fat bum is your brand new 24 incher. Think about it...can you really afford to step outta sync with Freddy?? :)

I've said it before and I'll say it again......I luuuurve that kit mate!!

I'm just wondering though Dennis, I think there's a distinct possibility you need to add a 24" bass drum too?

:)

This is what I was eluding to. Maybe not a 24", although I've been pondering it, but definitely a 22. I get pretty good low end out of the 20, especially since I put the felt strip inside the resonant head permitting me to tune a bit looser, but there is something missing in the lower registers. I don't really have the room to store a 24" bass drum unless I can disguise it as a table for our living room, lol.

BTW, I've never heard any 22" drum that could reach lower than the Bubinga at 41 cycles without having their heads fall off. The 20" Ludwig gets down to about 61 cycles.

Thanks for the nice comments!

Dennis

Back