I swear those are CB Drums...

McShmoopy

CB Drums, only that they sound... and look good! After alot of trial and error with tuning, gear , I think ive found the perfect setup for those precious drums of mine :), I believe with the right mics, this kit has Studio potential!

fehrow.jpg

2vims8y.jpg

It took me 2 years of to somehow stumble upon this Sabian Pro 18" Stage Crash on eBay, but I got it! Sounds amazing :)

2d6mlg3.jpg

Sabian Pro Stage Crash 16", I got this 2 years ago along with a Sabian 18" Crash (Cracked now) for about £15. Was DEFINITELY worth it.

33eucfq.jpg

Sabian Pro 14" Hi hats, got these heavily tarnished but Ive restored them quite nicely with Groove Juice, they however lack thier original shine and colour.

10fomx3.jpg

My first repaired cymbal, a Sabian Pro 20" Ride. Courtesy of a small child, I had to make a repair of this cymbal, it has turned out great but due to school I havnt had a chance to properly repair this, again this was heavily tarnished but Ive restored it nicely, just needs to be polished.

152i06c.jpg

Nice overhead view of the set :)

2vlv5z7.jpg

Foot View! Still rocking the Big Dog Pro Double Pedal, with the Aquarian Super Kick 3 (WHICH IS IMMENSE!) As well as Slug Beater Badges attached.

Wishlist:
14" and 18" China
8" and 10" Splash
LP Ice Bell
2 Drum Rack Extentions
Cymbal Crowns
Cowbell

Gear:
CB Drum Kit, 12 x 9 Tom, 13 x 10 Tom, 16 x 16 Floor Tom, 22 x 15 Bass Drum
CB Stainless Steel 14 x 5.5 Snare Drum
Pearl DR-50 Drum Rack, older model with 6 Clamps
Big Dog Pro Double Bass Pedal
Mapex Hi Hat Stand
Mapex Cymbal Stand
Gear4Music Long Boom Stand (Used as boom arm)
2 x Sonor Mini Boom Arm
Evans EC2 Batter Heads, 12, 13, 16
Evans EC1 Resonant Heads, 12 ,13 ,16
Remo Controlled Sound 14" Snare Drum Head
Remo Ambassador Hazy 14" Resonant Snare Head
Aquarian Superkick 3 (I HIGHLY reccomend this as an upgrade, a nice price compared to Evans and Remo but does not dissapoint!)
Slug Double Beater Badge

Please comment and give me your opinions!

Thanks! Ive got a JVC Everio HD Camcorder, Ill prolly record with that after school at some point, if the mic is nice enough :)

That's a great looking kit, . I have heard by a few people CB uses poplar wood, and in my experience they are one of the best sounding beginner kit's out there.

i call shennanigans. there's no way that's a CB kit. CB rack toms can't be angled and positioned that sanely. i heard the mounting hardware would fail if placed at less than a 60 degree angle. also, the kit has nice heads, I don't believe CB's stock heads can be changed. 3000 craigslist ads don't lie ;)

nice looking kit.

One of my hobbies is to take entry level kits, Put good heads on the drums, Tune them,
Add quality cymbals, and set them up correctly.
Entry level kits actually sound a bit like vintage kits when they are done properly.

Great Job, Great Kit!

I think entry level kits get a bum rap simply because they are geared to students and are considered "low end" by some folks who can't stand anything but the most expensive kits. I have a vintage Pearl kit my parents bought for me when I was 11. Somehow I managed to keep it and 4 years ago dug it out of storeage, cleaned it real good, put quality heads on it, and POOF! the kit sounds great now.

Like you said, a lot of entry level kits can be made to sound great with some TLC, quality heads, and tuning done properly.

One of the reasons entry level kits get a bum rap is because the students who use them are just starting out and may not know how to tune drums properly, what heads to use, what tom angles are best, etc. And one of the tricks manufacturers use to keep prices competitive is to put low end heads on all the drums, so a beginning drum student may not know this and assume the kit sounds bad because of the inexpensive cost of the kit.

Bravo for revamping kits, Bobdadruma!

I have played all sorts of high end kits in my time.
Some of the high end kits that I have played are actually, "To Clean" as far as sound is concerned.
I like the, "Dirty" sound of a lower end kit.
High end cymbals, Hell Ya! I can't get enough of them!
High end kits, I'm not always so sure.

The other thing about a high end kit is that I always feel weary that something will happen to them.
Low end kit, No problem, If something happens to it I will buy another one tomorrow for a few hundred dollars.

This leaves me with only chore, Watch out for the Pies!
At a gig thats all that I worry about, Save the cymbals!
Everything else is expendable.

Couldn't agree more Bob, since I found out why I cracked cymbals, ive taken every precaution to make sure I dont :) I even check all the cymbals edges after im doing playing. its a 15 second task but its worth it

Back