Tasmanian Blackwood Snare

jt.mcrae

Just bought this new snare from Melbourne (Australia) drum builder Jim Moody.

14x7 Tasmanian Blackwood ply shell
American Rock Maple Hoops
Trick hardware

It sounds amazing and I am really stoked :)

More pics when I pick it up

Jackson

Attachments

• 421189_10150546409849298_285956319297_8612394_1125485788_n.jpg
    421189_10150546409849298_285956319297_8612394_1125485788_n.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 932
Cool.

Never heard of them. Just been checking out his website. I see they're available through Drumtek.....can't recall seeing any there but that could just mean I didn't have my eyes open wide enough. Do you know if they stock any or just take orders? Always interested in checking out a local drum maker.

I'm not sure about Drumtek as I bought this from Revolver Drums on Chapel street. Revolver does stocks them on their own accord but I think it depends on what drums Jim has available to bring into the store. I am pretty sure you would be able to order either through Revolver or Drumtek or Moody Drums directly.

Cheers
Jackson

Still got my heart set on a Brady before I even contemplate ordering another snare. But certainly interested in checking one out in person anyway......especially given he's a local. Will keep an eye out for them now I know where to find them.

Look forward to your pics and players review.

So I've had this drum for a couple of weeks now and am absolutely in love with it. The wood hoops really are amazing and warm up the sound of the drum. I find that they don't necessarily dry the drum out, but rather make the overtones more harmonious, hence less noticeable. This beast really is quite versatile. I've had it cranked up really high for that Steve Jordan snap or right down for that swampy low thud.

The only downside is that the wood hoops make it a bit hard to get it in the snare basket but that's not a real problem

Enjoy the pics

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

From the side it looks like staves, but from the bottom it looks like ply - is the outside just a ply layer made to look stavish?

Back