Randy Castillo

I miss Randy very much. Got to know him very well through the late 80's
and 90's. His passing was awful... he's greatly missed.

(Will post some pics when I can...)

Last edited:
An underrated drummer.

I met Randy when I was 18, and he did a drum clinic at the store I was working at after school.

He was really nice guy. He may not have had the chops of more well known drummers, but he did a great job with Ozzy. I love his playing on the "No Rest for the Wicked" album. I saw him numerous times with Ozzy, and he always was very solid, tasteful fills, he could play for the song, and yet still throw in some chops when appropriate.

I did see a video of him with Motely Crue, and even though it was well before he was diagnosed with cancer, you could tell something wasn't right about him, His playing was off, and it wasn't the same great groove he had with Ozzy. I'd have to think the cancer was affecting him long before he knew it was there.

So sad when he died.

I was able to go to the memorial concert for him they had in Hollywood. It was pretty cool how many drummers and musicians came out to pay tribute to him.

Randolpho Francisco Castillo - well known as Randy Castillo!

I was listening to Ozzy Osbourne - No More Tears - very good album. Randy was a powerful groover, played for the song with such feel, fast and heavy fills. I don´t mind if Randy was or not a technical drummer...he did the job and dead right!

Rock In Peace - Randy!

Attachments

• randycastillo.jpg
    randycastillo.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 9,596
Ok guys, unless the search engine messed up it doesn't seem that this name was on. What are your opinions on this talented drummer who passed away too soon ?

Frankly speaking I haven't heard anything from him besides with ozzy, but I just loved the power and showmanship of the guy, and not talking about all the fills he put in old ozzy songs when playing live (I don't know, mr. Crowley etc)

I always like Randy's playing. Very different to that of other players from that era. Listen to his work on Lita Ford's "Dancing On The Edge".

I always like Randy's playing. Very different to that of other players from that era. Listen to his work on Lita Ford's "Dancing On The Edge".

Interestingly I have just discussed Randy in another thread about a chap called Cooper and came across this.

I like Randy Castillo though he was not my favourite of that 90's era when we spent half our time playing and half our time spinning sticks. That honour went to the underrated Tommy Lee but Randy was a solid player and I saw him with Ozzy one year and he was very good. I have the Lita album Dancin' on the edge and although not my style there are some great fills on Run with the Money and although he was not an overly technical player he certainly knew his basic rudiments as often played paradiddle fills using his double bass drums. Also I like Lita from her Runaways days.

I enjoyed Randy's playing.

I have never seen him live, but I have a couple concerts on bootleg of Ozzy with him. He was very solid.

I would have liked to see or hear some of his work with Motley Crue. I am not quite sure that he had the style to fill Tommy's shoes. Tommy is truly underrated.

Mike

Agreed re: Tommy. He was the only drummer I could listen to out of that hair era. I am sure there were other good drummers but he stood out to me so much so that I went to see Motley at Wembley Arena one year and they brought the house down. I have to say they were good but Tommy was excellent so much so that I decided to see them again a few years later and Tommy had damaged his shoulder or leg but either way he could not play so they had a stand in and the gig was fairly awful. The difference Tommy Lee.

Back