Things you do that annoy your bandmates

i apparently ruin my one guitarists artistc visions constantly by having to audacity to play drums in our songs. no matter what i play its always wrong and "not what i had in mind for this song". but im always praised and congratulated for finding the perfect beat for any other part and not overplaying by my other FOUR band members.

oh and because said guitarist is such a dink i make it a point to play when hes tuning and talking during practice.

I annoy bandmates by being opinionated. I absolutely cannot lie, protect peoples precious feelings, or otherwise dilute the honest truth in any way when it comes to music. I don't always prevail, but I do put my opinion out there. I've come to realize that I set higher standards than most. I'm no perfectionist, but a certain standard HAS to be met.
I've also been tagged as hard to work with by a few prima donna type lead singers and guitarists. And they are right. I don't please easily, and the fact that I'm a drummer with higher standards than some "superior" instrument players, exposes insecurities. But that's their problem and if something isn't sitting right with me, I make it known, as diplomatically as I can. On the other hand, if what I'm doing isn't cutting it for someone else, then I will happily try their suggestions with the most cooperative attitude they've ever experienced.

i think i piss off our new lead guitarist by insisting that we actually know the songs we play. he's always saying stuff like "who cares if we don't nail every song as long as people are dancing and having a good time". i say that i don't like being embarrassed by missing transitions, playing through stops, and stumbling our way through endings because no one really knows the song. i always want to work out a specific arrangement for each song, and practice that arrangement until we nail it. he wants to play whatever he feels at the moment and trust our instincts to get through the songs. that'd be fine if we were a jam band, but we're not. we play cover songs and originals. i think i'm getting on his nerves by being so fussy, but i'm sticking to my guns because i believe that good bands know their songs.

I play guitar too, so I understand that tuning and fiddling with an amp to find the right sound for the song can take a little bit.

That said, after about 30 seconds my attention shifts and I end up playing something loud and getting death threat type looks from everyone.

Also, playing when they're talking.

Doncha love that? We get in trouble for playing while the others talk ... and talk ... and talk ... at $20 an hour ... in the brief, precious window of time I have to actually play a drum kit each week - real music with real people.

+1 to playing while the others are talking, I can't help it most of the stuff that is talked about could be talked about any time, band practice is playing time!

i think i piss off our new lead guitarist by insisting that we actually know the songs we play. he's always saying stuff like "who cares if we don't nail every song as long as people are dancing and having a good time". i say that i don't like being embarrassed by missing transitions, playing through stops, and stumbling our way through endings because no one really knows the song. i always want to work out a specific arrangement for each song, and practice that arrangement until we nail it. he wants to play whatever he feels at the moment and trust our instincts to get through the songs. that'd be fine if we were a jam band, but we're not. we play cover songs and originals. i think i'm getting on his nerves by being so fussy, but i'm sticking to my guns because i believe that good bands know their songs.

Are you kidding, this is the dumbest thing I've ever heard, your guitarist needs a good kick up the backside cause he's living in a dream world if he thinks he can feel his way through other peoples songs to perfection. Stick to your guns and get him told.

Are you kidding, this is the dumbest thing I've ever heard, your guitarist needs a good kick up the backside cause he's living in a dream world if he thinks he can feel his way through other peoples songs to perfection. Stick to your guns and get him told.

thanks for backing me up on this! the weird thing is he claims to be a full time pro musician. how does he think he'll ever make it with an attitude like that? i know this thread is about what we do to piss off people, but i think i might be more pissed at him than he is at me.

we recently played at a high paying music venue downtown and were told by the owner afterward that we were sloppy and sounded like we didn't know our songs. not only that, he told us we were not welcome back there, so now our reputation is spoiled and there's one less place we can play. that's what happens when you don't know your songs.

Constantly asking "how does this song start?", "how does this song end?", "how does this song go, could you sing a little of it to refresh my memory?"

I let one rip and my stage fan shares it with everyone! LOL

doing my rudiments when they are trying to tune.

A good guitarist doesn't need to hear the instrument but just look at the stage tuner. If they can't tune mid song quickly, I'd give em the boot!

I let one rip and my stage fan shares it with everyone! LOL

haha. i did that once in HS when i played guitar... standing behind a fan pointed into the practice room on a hot summer day. cleared my basement mid-song :)

1. show up on time, knowing the song and then show "disdain" if the pianist or 2nd rythm guitarist insists speeding it up and getting the timing waaaaayyy off
2. throwing fills in at practice when they arent needed ;) (say....amazing grace lol)
3, constant tapping ,.......nuff said

Three words...Cow Bell Lick. Typically a nice funk beat during jazz at the end of a song during the long held out note endings.

As ive only been playing a year, id say making mistakes and missing changes...
but ive noticed great changes this past month :D my timing has improved so much.
I never play while they are tuning, im always the one wanting the guitarist to stop playing while i give my ideas...haha

Great cross thread inside pass there Caddy

Everyone should try this one a few times just for laughs. Instead of doing the usual: foot on 1, snare on 2, foot on 3, snare on 4 - flip it. Snare on 1, foot on 2, snare on 3, foot on 4. Do it for a few measures just to watch the confusion on your band mates' faces.

Back