What is your favorite drum on your kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blasterbeat

Thought I'd start a new thread in regards to the drum that we favor the most on our kit. Doesn't matter if it's a snare, rack, floor, or bass; what's the drum that makes you feel all giddy inside when you use it.

I'll go first: my 13x10 rack tom is a monster in it's own right. I play a 5 piece but the way I have the rack toms positioned I think as if I'm actually on a 4 piece. When I go for the 12x9 it's usually for flavoring up the fill or what have you. The 13 inch is deep and thudding, gives me the willies when I use the right kind of strokes on it.

my snare, plain jane 5.5"x14" Yammie birch, but wether i'm wailing on it or working some funky little riffs - it's always my most played, most versatile and most loved drum, playing snare drum in a Sea Cadets marching band for several years may have something to do with the fascination though, love the snare...

My snares........all of 'em. I currently have 6, although one came with the kit and will be sold with the kit if I ever get rid of it. The other 5 are mine forever. I've had a few kits over the years and whilst I generally love them when I own them, I don't get too sentimental about selling them off for another one. My snares however, will see me through this lifetime. I just can't part with any of them.

As for absolute favourite........that's like asking a parent which is their favourite child. My Black Beauty and two Supra's (400 & 402) are my go-to's though and I'll find all sorts of reasons to justify why one is better for a given situation (I think the reality is, I just wanna make sure everything gets played). But then again, I can do this with my maple free floater and brass piccolo too.......hmmmmm, I've not been too specific here have I!!

Geez, what a question! I love all my drums. Each has its place. For funk backbeats it has to be this:
beech1.jpg

Or it could be this drum suits the tune better:
brady1.jpg

For fat backbeats in ballads it is this:

CopyofIMGP5226.jpg

But maybe this would be better?

IMGP5312.jpg

After one's been playing for many years and builds up a collection, it comes down to what works best in a given situation. I may use a surdo over a floor tom. Or a repinique over a tom choice.

My favorite drum is the one that works best for the tune.

i'm with you on the 13x10, I absolutely love mine. I really can't get it to sound bad. It just sings! and has great attack. Alot of people even compliment it and tell me that it sounds like a sample. It also sounds good in any room with no adjustment. I can't say the same for my snares and floor toms.

I love my Yamaha brass 7x14 snare it is yet to disappoint me, and wy yung you have a ridiculous snare drum collection i love it.

I love my Yamaha brass 7x14 snare it is yet to disappoint me, and wy yung you have a ridiculous snare drum collection i love it.

Cheers mate.

Each drum has its own unique character. This is a problem for me. It keeps me broke!

Here is a drum I bought specifically to record.

IMGP5241.jpg

It gets expensive!

My home made Keller 4 x 14 Piccolo

Attachments

• P4280028.JPG
    P4280028.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 942
Going to have to go with my main snare, a 14x6.5 Pearl Sensitone Steel. It has a great crack and body to it, awesome for those fat rock backbeats!

Def. my 5x14 1968 Supraphonic... most versatile drum I've ever owned... sounds at home in almost any situation.

I feel the same way. My kit is set up the same as yours and that 13 incher sounds amazing. It is definatley my favorite drum on my kit.

Def. my 5x14 1968 Supraphonic... most versatile drum I've ever owned... sounds at home in almost any situation.

Same here. 1967 5x14 Supraphonic. I have as much fun with the snares off as I do with the snares on. A 402 will be my next big purchase.

-Ryan

snare.jpg

A toughie....
#1 my bass drum, it's just really fun to play, feels great and sounds amazing. It's a 20x26.

#2 my 6.5 Black Beauty snares. They just work for everything I do, and sound phenomenal.

I love my bass drum pedal too--Peal Eliminator.

Same here. 1967 5x14 Supraphonic. I have as much fun with the snares off as I do with the snares on. A 402 will be my next big purchase.

-Ryan

snare.jpg

Hey Volvoguy.... that looks familiar!

4044402838_d8270f1b8c.jpg

you can just see my Supra peeking out.

In fact, all of them. But my 13"x11" rack tom gives me the buzz.

I'd have to go with the 18x24 kick on my ddrum, PS3 batter and stock resonant head - it's night-impossible for it to not sound fantastic.
8426_184135243782_511703782_3836617_5758682_n.jpg

A little difficult to see it in this picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back