Drum company name ideas?

I usually don't like to discourage younger players,but in this case,you really need to rethink this business model.If building drums was as easy as just drilling some holes in a shell,and slapping on some generic hardware,why would you pay more that the materials were worth,and just do it yourself?

I don't see how you can make any kind of money doing this,as many custom builders ,are just barely getting by,and the competition is fierce.

Steve B

I usually don't like to discourage younger players,but in this case,you really need to rethink this business model.If building drums was as easy as just drilling some holes in a shell,and slapping on some generic hardware,why would you pay more that the materials were worth,and just do it yourself?

I don't see how you can make any kind of money doing this,as many custom builders ,are just barely getting by,and the competition is fierce.

Steve B

There it is FIERCE DRUMS..

I see you're in Hereford, so if that's where you're going to be making them how about Wye Drums?

Those are nice drums.
Thanks.
Who made them?
Wye.
Why what?
What do you mean?
Who made the drums?
Wye.
Why What?

I want to start a small drum company, only to make a few extra quid on the side, i have ways of sourcing the shells and hardware cheap.

What would you guys call your drum company if you started one?

(I know i am never going to be as big as a custom drum company such as SJC or AJP but in the UK, there are not many big custom drum companies)

cheers

'Quid Pro Co'

'Britt Cans'

'Bollocks'

2 Sticks 1 Drum
Deez Drumz
Square Drums
[adjective] drums
[noun] drums

I've thought about the issue many times and at some point will pull the trigger, but "keep it simple" makes the point.

When the DIY boom hit in the early 90s everybody and their brother wanted to have a custom drum company. Well over three hundred, that I know of, began their journey. Not too many are still at it. From snare drums to full sets, many fine instruments, too. But the competition IS fierce.

I mentioned starting my own a couple years ago on another site and was shot down pretty hard by some. One guy, the last poster, some time after the initial post, offered the only encouragement and I took it to heart. "There's always room for someone new if you have the passion for it."

Most makers began as a hobby. Some went into business and were able to stay in business. Unless you have something different or unique to bring to the table getting noticed is difficult, selling even more so, and staying afloat almost impossible, especially in today's economy.

Placing a badge on a shell and name on a bass head is far from a business plan and operating standard.

If you want to make drums for others not so inclined, make some for others you know (drummers) and see what they say. Not non-drummers. They are impressed much too easily.

It is not difficult to make fine sounding drums, if you have some woodworking skills. I heartily endorse the DIY movement. Even if all you could do was drill some holes, you can have shell merchants do bearing edges. If you have no finishing experience, that will take time. Wraps are much easier to do, but even there they can't just be slapped on. But almost anyone can apply wraps to a shell.

I believe the ease of making a drum is what exploded the DIY movement. It isn't rocket science, even if sound can be dissected as such. It's a cylinder, membranes, and tensioning parts. No disrespect to anyone, but making drums is not difficult, and the results are pretty satisfying.

Making them to sell to others, that's another issue.

As far as a name? Open a dictionary. Look at "Q." A letter, and they are out there, selling, and doing pretty well for a new company, apparently.

Back