Dear Yamaha Gurus...

boomcrashbang

Happy New Year, everyone!

A good friend of mine went to Japan for a year-end holiday. He was so kind to drop by to a local drum store there, and made me 'suffer' by sending tons of Japan-made-snare pics! LOL :D

Among the pics he sent, this one really caught my attention. I tried to google it and found a very informative thread in another drum forum. If any of you have more information, I would really appreciate if you can share it to me. Many thanks in advance, guys!

To cut the story short, I was totally sold; primarily because of the rareness and highly collectible, and its very good looking. It is in a mint condition considering its age (20+ years). Now..the sound. It is very very DRY. Short sustain. and LOUD. I think I will try to swap the hoops to triple flanged and i am sure it will sound better..well at least to my taste. In my opinion, this snare is perfect for studio works. Nonetheless its definitely sound good for outdoor settings.

Now...without further ado..I present you..the Yamaha Limited Edition Carbon Custom SD-518 snare! :)

Wow!...very cool...I've only seen the yamaha carbon snares in shallower depths...that's definitely a rare snare!!... I'm assuming you purchased this drum...if so, congrats!

Wow!...very cool...I've only seen the yamaha carbon snares in shallower depths...that's definitely a rare snare!!... I'm assuming you purchased this drum...if so, congrats!

Yes, I did, and for a very decent deal :) Thank you!
Yes, you are right. There are two versions, this one (SD 518) and the piccolo. if you google "Yamaha SD 513" you will find some info on the 14x3.5 one. It has gold lugs, and from what I have researched, is very limited.

Nice drum! And about as close to a Tommy Aldridge signature snare as you're going to get. He had a complete set of these back in Whitesnake days.

Makes me remind my old 100% Carbo Snare by Ming :

9461910.jpg

Nice drum! And about as close to a Tommy Aldridge signature snare as you're going to get. He had a complete set of these back in Whitesnake days.

Thanks! :) You are right. there are only 2 Yamaha Carbon kit made, one is Tommy's. in fact, tommy has returned it to Yamaha facilities in Japan.

Back