Justin Bieber's Drumming...

Ten years from now he'll come out of the closet like Ricky Martin and still be laughing all the way to the bank.

Hey! Trash the Beebs all you want but leave Ricky out of this. I LOVED his stuff when I was in Jr High and recently discovered it again.

I sang Livin' la Vida Loca at karoke the other night and the table white girls across the room went wild. awww yea...

It's definitely not pro-level playing, but so what? He is a very talented young person overall who is growing and developing daily. If he keeps it up, he will become a proficient drummer before long.

I especially appreciate he plays open handed. I hope he influences another generation of drummers to take up open-handed playing, much as Ringo inspired so many people to take up drums and imitate his crossed playing style.

I hope he influences another generation of drummers to take up open-handed playing, much as Ringo inspired so many people to take up drums and imitate his crossed playing style.

I think Ringo had it right the first time, so I'll stick to his technique. ;)

It's definitely not pro-level playing, but so what? He is a very talented young person overall who is growing and developing daily. If he keeps it up, he will become a proficient drummer before long.

I especially appreciate he plays open handed. I hope he influences another generation of drummers to take up open-handed playing, much as Ringo inspired so many people to take up drums and imitate his crossed playing style.

I agree with you . He's one of the most talented people I've seen . At this level of improving he's soon to be one of the top players around . That is , if he decided to concentrate on drumming instead of singing .

Hmmm, thats just it... I don't see him "growing" at all. I watched a few videos and he is playing the same beats and fills as he was 5 years ago. I just don't see much progress.

I am not bashing the kid - obviously he is doing something right. But I wouldn't go as far as say "if he keeps on this level of improving...". I just don't see the improvement. But, then again who cares considering he's not in it for the drums.

I also find it funny how he doesn't touch the bass drum on a lot of his crashes.

Thanks Davo. I will treasure that because it might be the first time in my life that anyone found me to be orderly :)

I'm just not a big fan of "blood in the water" feeding frenzies. I don't think the dynamic brings the best out in people.

I like to play drums but I certainly wouldn't want to subject people to my singing, so it's impressive to me that JB can play drums at all. It's not his native habitat.

Should he be more rich and famous than many other singers and musos who are more talented than he is? Nope ... but the music industry has never been about fairness so good on him for getting lucky and having the ability and oomph (and marketing team).to capitalise.

SergiuM;841374I said:
He does almost the same thing in every video I've seen him in.

Which is what I did when I first started out and I'm sure you did the same.

I hope he takes it serious and becomes a good drummer. I think DJs/Fanboys telling him how good he is, is not helping at all!

He's a flash in the pan. Several years from now he'll be washed up. Just another snot-nosed prima dona.

Which is what I did when I first started out and I'm sure you did the same.

I think you missed a major point in all this... he has been posting drum clips for the last 6 YEARS. I don't know if that qualifies as "just starting out" anymore. And he is still (after 6 years) playing the same beat and fill. I know we all have our "go to" beat to showoff but cmon.

I think its fine for what it is - since he is not a drummer. However, if we want to qualify him as a drummer then he is doing a poor job progressing actually.

I think you missed a major point in all this... he has been posting drum clips for the last 6 YEARS. I don't know if that qualifies as "just starting out" anymore. And he is still (after 6 years) playing the same beat and fill. I know we all have our "go to" beat to showoff but cmon.

Sopranos hit the nail on the head.

He's a flash in the pan. Several years from now he'll be washed up..

Oh, to be washed up in your early 20s with millions in the bank! An awful fate :)

Sopranos, Justin has been playing drums since he was about 2 or 3 but he's obviously had tons of other work to do with singing, performing and the business side. Given that he's not "match fit" when it comes to drumming, he does well, as per Caz's post. You can't expect him to be as tight as the drum nerds (and me :) on this board.

The kid has talent and he's made it big through good looks and bland, formulaic pop. A plus and a minus, which to me makes a neutral.

The most interesting thing about JB is the whole teen craze and/or sex symbol phenomenon. Women used to go nuts over Frank Sinatra, Tom Jones and Engelbert Humperdink. And Elvis the Pelvis (as he was known). Then it was the Beatles, the Monkees, etc etc. It's interesting how some acts "bite" and become "heart throbs" while some fairly similar acts don't http://jjb.yuku.com/topic/610327#.TdHpW1tQWo0

First off I will say that I'm not a Justin Bieber fan at all. The teens of today like what he is doing. I see it as the same thing that happened when The Beatles came to America. The older generation didn't care for them at all. Rock music was a sin. On his drumming I liked it. I found it to be a little repetitive but I'm not one to watch solo videos. I often find them boring. I'm more interested in seeing what someone can bring to a song as opposed to a solo. And as far as his skill level goes, you guys say your average beginner. If that's true I'm way behind. I've been playing for 15 years and have never even come close to soloing like he did in that video but I can play along to all of my favorite songs and not miss a beat.

Is he really a drummer tho...or is he just that cool dude @ the party that can show off and play a basic beat.

I don't look @ him as a serious drummer

Back