The Holy Grail of Power 100% Steel

Evilbagua

Silver Member
About time I got this bad boy up and running. here is my rescued 1970's Ludwig Steel bastard of a kit. I originally bought the kick that was hit by a car in the late 80's for hardware and spurs a year or so ago. I thought it was a shame to go to waste so I started building a kit around it and had the drum hammered back into shape as best It could. It pains me to say this but the steel 24 is about as loud "cut" wise as my maple 28" bass drum. I love it even smashed to crap the bass drum sounds amazing, like you just got punched good.

Current specs
24x14 Ludwig Steel Bass drum Remo ps3's on both sides w/ Black Steel hoops and yes it's wrapped in window tint so it looks rainbow-ey
14x10 Ludwig 8 lug steel snare as a floor tom
12x5 Gretsch steel snare as a rack tom
10x5 Sonor Sideman Steel as a rack tom
14x5 Older 10 lug Pearl Steel snare
z customs/APX pies and dw5000 pedal. Anybody got any orphaned ludwig steel toms? let me know ;)

Attachments

• dwsteel.JPG
    dwsteel.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 523
  • dwsteel1.JPG
    dwsteel1.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 513
It does not matter what the drums are. You have a Mega Bell. Drums are obsolete at this point.

In theory, this kit construction's the total opposite of what I'd normally go for. I'm therefore very curious & fascinated about the outcome. Sound clips ASAP please.

It's a bit different for me too as I normally have very large diameter and deep toms like 14x12, 15x13, 18x18 etc. I'm thinking about taking this on my next recording session as I have no means to do anything myself that would give it some justice. I will say all the clips of steel kits on youtube don't compare to it in person.

Also I would love a normal sized floor tom so I could use the 14x10 as a rack, but this was kinda randomly thrown together and all 5 drums+ new heads set me back right around 550$ US which I consider a bargain, and I always have the option of using any of the 3 "toms" as snares like they were intended. It's too bad ludwig steel normal sized drums posted on ebay are usually more than I payed for all of this. Just saw a 16x16 for like 650+ shipping and a 26" kick for like 6000+

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970S-LUDWI...l_Instruments_Instruments&hash=item27bdac90c5

lol me thinks it's a bit over priced. he also has a 20" floor tom for almost 3000

That's the same turkey on Aussie ebay who wants thousands for his original Giant Beats and black label 2002's too. http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78560&highlight=giant+beats

He's had everything listed for a while now, has dropped his price on the lot a couple of times now too (original prices in my first post of the link).....and still no bites. I'm guessing he'll be there for a while yet.

Nice kit. How do you like the snares as rack toms? Are they a little timbale like?

Last edited:
I notice the auction location's the "gold coast". Does he think it's made of gold? Man, that's insane for something you could easily make for a fraction of that price. Now if he could prove it was actually owned/played by Bonham------------

Unique setup. I'd love to hear some sounds.

Don't know if you're interested or not but...

12x15 steel for $70 + $25 shipping. It's not in very good shape but who knows maybe you could fix it up a bit. Either way it will still probably sound good, especially for just $100.

Yeesus dude, that's a friggin' monster right there. Your approach seems to sum up the "Go big or get the f**k out" approach. I really do blame you for me turning up my nose at and kicker smaller than 24".

I'm gonna hit up next time I'm in Tucson, I'd just love to jump in the driver's seat on this monster.

Bravo sir. Bravo.

Andy, I think this kit is much more up my alley than your custom kit, it is a beautiful machine but this thing just makes me want one of my own. That's the beautiful thing about drums, we all have our own likes.

Yeesus dude, that's a friggin' monster right there. Your approach seems to sum up the "Go big or get the f**k out" approach. I really do blame you for me turning up my nose at and kicker smaller than 24".

I'm gonna hit up next time I'm in Tucson, I'd just love to jump in the driver's seat on this monster.

Bravo sir. Bravo.

Andy, I think this kit is much more up my alley than your custom kit, it is a beautiful machine but this thing just makes me want one of my own. That's the beautiful thing about drums, we all have our own likes.

Let me know the next time you are down here. I plan to have this one set up in my practice spot for a while.

Back