Ludwig restoration project complete

Thanks everyone im really proud of the kit, it has been in my family since before I was born (over 30 years) so to see it restored now is a great thing.

Someone asked how long it took? Well, probably 3 months, but it could have been done in a week if I had all the parts. I had to order them in stages because I couldnt afford it all at once. :-(

Heres what ive replaced;

2 x 13" hoops
2 x 16" hoops
28 x Tension bolts
1 x Tom mount bracket
6 x classic lugs
3 x Floor tom legs
1 x tom holder and mount plate
2 x Kick drum spurs
20 x Kick drum claws and t handles

The rest was all polished up over and over until it shined like new and my fingers were numb!!

The snare is actually a Ludwig 400 supersensitive, which is like the Supraphonic, only the snare bed stretches out about an inch beyond each side of the drum and is more adjustable. Sounds killer too!!

The kit itself sounds awesome. I played it at rehearsal last night and it is inspirational. By that, I mean you can hear Buddy Rich, you can hear John Bonham and you can hear Ringo Starr in the tone of the drums. It got me doing things that I didnt know I could do!!!

I wish you still had the resonants on there cuz I think that definitely warms the sound up a lot

The reso's are on there, you are probably looking at the 'before' picture, where the reso heads and hoops were missing. This was a phase drummers went through in the late 1970's, when it was considered that removing the resonant heads gave more projection when playing larger venues - like a concert tom. Unfortunately, and inevitably I guess some of those resonant hoops were lost in the process. The 2 main features of my project were a) to replace the missing resonant hoops and heads, and b) to restore an original Ludwig tom mount. (You will see the 'before' picture has an old black coloured tom mount, which was broken and looked out of place.)

Brings back memories of my days in high school band in the mid 70's.
That is the school kit too a tee.
Nice trip back in time dude.

Maverick,
Those drums look great, and I know they sound great too! I have a friend who just recovered some of these with some wrap that's been in storage for over 30 years, same color. I was going to post some, but I didn't want to detract from your nice work. I'll post some if you want to see.

Mendozart,

Id love to see them, I was thinking of recovering mine so it would be great to see what a recovered set looks like. Please post them....

Maverick4088 you are litterally the man :)

my own vintage Ludwig's are getting their live debut ( since about 1976ish when my dad used to drive them...) a week today and this is inspiration to give them a last minute strip and clean.

your kit looks amazing and this kit alone has changed my opinion on that 'bowling ball' wrap which i previously didnt care for that much lol

a beaut!

Nickkk,

Hi mate I have seen your thread before on your Ludwigs and thought at the time that the kit (albeit a different colour) and the circumstances, i.e. it used to belong to your Dad, who had removed the bottom hoops for larger venues etc sounded exactly like my situation!

Great kit by the way and im pleased this thread has inspired you to give it a last minute clean up. My Dad saw me play his old kit for the first time siiince restoration the other night and never heard it sound (or look) so good. :)

Nickkk,

Hi mate I have seen your thread before on your Ludwigs and thought at the time that the kit (albeit a different colour) and the circumstances, i.e. it used to belong to your Dad, who had removed the bottom hoops for larger venues etc sounded exactly like my situation!

Great kit by the way and im pleased this thread has inspired you to give it a last minute clean up. My Dad saw me play his old kit for the first time siiince restoration the other night and never heard it sound (or look) so good. :)

ha yeah you're right its a great thing to be playing a 'hand - me - down' kit huh! let alone a Ludwig!! if i got you right there, and your kit was handed down to you, then your dad should be rightly proud!

i think i mentioned in my post about my own kit that i was glad to come into drumming 'later' than some but it really has made me enjoy and respect the instrument im playing because of its history, not just the sentimental value personally. i just know that i would've been down on playing an 'old' kit if i had started playing when i was 10 lol perhaps you also share that kinda feeling about playing a vintage instrument!

Mendozart,

Id love to see them, I was thinking of recovering mine so it would be great to see what a recovered set looks like. Please post them....
Okay, here you go. Unfortunately, this wrap is no longer available, as this wrap was sitting in storage fo 30 years. The guy who wrapped these is named Jerry Jenkins and is a very talented restorer of drums.

Attachments

• Blue%20Oyster%20Pearl%20070%20%28Medium%29.jpg
    Blue%20Oyster%20Pearl%20070%20%28Medium%29.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 645
  • Blue Oyster Pearl 041 (Medium).jpg
    Blue Oyster Pearl 041 (Medium).jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 2,036
  • Blue Oyster Pearl 010 (Medium).jpg
    Blue Oyster Pearl 010 (Medium).jpg
    91 KB · Views: 1,090
  • Blue Oyster Pearl 029 (Medium).jpg
    Blue Oyster Pearl 029 (Medium).jpg
    100 KB · Views: 1,034
Wow that re-wrap looks really good. Im told that I can get the blue oyster bowling ball finish here in the Uk if I want it and now I have seen that Im pretty tempted. The problem with all vintage kits is that any white colured wraps tend to yellow and thats what has happened to mine in places. :-(

Great kit though thanks for sharing, we need a 'show us your blue oyster bowling ball finish' thread

Back