Yamaha 9000 in an Aqua finish

F

Fishgopop007

So about 3/4 months ago I took the bullet and decided that I would upgrade from my Mapex M Birch to a fully fledged professional kit. I started hunting around various sites looking for drum kits from new, I was also looking second hand used kits. I wasn't in a desperate rush to upgrade my kit so I checked the web occasionally. A few months down the line (and after getting very close to being ripped off big time on a Cherry Red Yamaha 9000) I was browsing a site when up popped the name 'Yamaha 9000'...fancying some eye candy I had a look at it and thought nothing of it. In short I stumbled on the very same kit again and within two weeks it was in my house!

The rack toms consist of 8x8", 10x9", 12x10" rack toms. Theres a 14x12" hanging floor tom (so I guess it could count as another rack tom if you're getting picky). And it's topped of with a very tasty 20x16" bass drum. These drums have a fantastic tone to them. I haven't played around with tunings too much yet as I only got them set up about an hour ago, but they sound fantastic!

Enjoy!

George.

Attachments

• DSCF0060.jpg
    DSCF0060.jpg
    586.2 KB · Views: 2,796
  • DSCF0063.jpg
    DSCF0063.jpg
    534 KB · Views: 1,819
  • DSCF0064.jpg
    DSCF0064.jpg
    601.1 KB · Views: 1,872
  • DSCF0066.jpg
    DSCF0066.jpg
    582.9 KB · Views: 2,500
  • DSCF0061.jpg
    DSCF0061.jpg
    515 KB · Views: 1,789
Rare finish for RC's. Looks very nice. Also, I'm a big fan of 3 up 1 down Yamaha setups. Sweet kit!

The funny thing is, there are now two of these drum kits in this finish with about 3 miles of each other! xD

I've always wanted to try the 3 up 1 down setup, and what better kit to try it with than a Yamaha 9000 :)

George.

Nice! That kit looks awfully familiar though...

211tan5.jpg

:D
That 8" is apparently a rarity, or someone just really wanted it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Deep-Aqua-Y...ultDomain_0&hash=item43abe6c7fa#ht_500wt_1182

I have always loved the Aqua Finish that Yamaha used to do. I think they discontinued it like in the 90-'s some time.

Love thoses sizes too .

cheers
A

I'm digging the set up ! Also, those are some lovely K's you've got there. Specs? :)

How could I forget the cymbal specs? At the moment I am using (going from right to left):

Zildjian 13" K/Z Hihats
Zildjian 18" K Medium-Thin Dark Crash (Late 80's)
Zildjian 20" K Custom ride
Zildjian 17" K Custom Dark Crash

I also use a 15" Avedis Crash, but I don't have enough stands at the moment!

George.

I have always loved the Aqua Finish that Yamaha used to do. I think they discontinued it like in the 90-'s some time.

Love thoses sizes too .

cheers
A

Well it was a limited run in the first place! I will try and date these at some point, although I haven't quite grasped the Yamaha dating system! ><

George.

Hey guys! I decided that whilst I was changing drum heads that I'd try out my kit as a bit of a four piece for a while, well I decided that to add some difference I'd try a setup A La Jojo and found it to be really fun!

For the new drum heads I went for Coated Vintage Ambassadors on the rack toms and a Coated Vintage Emperor on the floor. Very nice heads and next time I intend on trying out clear heads.

Soon I'll hopefully be adding a 22" Sabian Omni to my setup as I've found one in a local store that has a lot more definition yet still with a nice crash that others I have found online have lacked.

Enjoy!

George.

Attachments

• DSC_0489.jpg
    DSC_0489.jpg
    359.6 KB · Views: 1,259
  • DSC_0494.jpg
    DSC_0494.jpg
    351.1 KB · Views: 1,380
So I recently had to move my kit to my grandparents house (bless them) and as such I changed my setup slightly from the 3 up 1 down that I was using back to the Jojo Mayer spec kit with the 8" to the right of the floor tom. I have a few more goodies that I added to the kit, and I have a few more to come as well which I'll add some photos of when they arrive!

George.

Attachments

• IMAG0965_Julia.jpg
    IMAG0965_Julia.jpg
    718.9 KB · Views: 1,154
Last edited:
I love the sound of that 14"! Absolutely kills! A question for you sir, do you have trouble with you 12" choking?

Hi there,

In all fairness I really haven't used the 12" as much as the rest of the drums but I didn't really have any problems with tuning it. What heads are you trying to use on yours?

George.

Haven't posted in a while. I have moved off to university and during this first year I have been very lucky in the fact that I am able to keep my drum kit in my bedroom as well as play it! Some new additions include the cow bell bass drum mount and wood block, as well an 18" HHX Ozone and a pair of 14" Sabian 'click' hats. I have Evans EC2's on top and clear G1's on the bottom of the toms. My main snare has a coated G1 on top and a Remo ambassador snare on the bottom. My side snare has a Genera dry on top and a hazy 300 on the bottom.

George.

Attachments

• IMG_20130111_205609.jpg
    IMG_20130111_205609.jpg
    413.3 KB · Views: 809
  • IMG_20130122_204445.jpg
    IMG_20130122_204445.jpg
    420.9 KB · Views: 749
Back